Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: The importance of a TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> The importance of a TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/21 11:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even my basic model 2009 PT Cruiser has TPMS. Our 2012 Rogue does too.
Wish my 07 dually had it.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website
Currently under construction, big project! Will change this when done.
Aug 2/21 - Website nearing completion. Most pages done.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/21 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 5 vehicles in that time frame and the only one that has TPMS is the Smart car. Anyway I check air before I leave and every time I stop. So far this has worked pretty well. I sometimes tow a trailer or a car dolly. Don't let your tires get of of date. I changed my DP yesterday, 2 were 2014 and 4 were 2015. Shame they age out but better safe than sorry.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/21 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I could tell a story too on ignorance of tires that resulted in tire failure, but in our case the TPMS did not save us. The TPMS will warn of a slow leak not when the tire fails quickly which ours did. Now, we faithfully go through the hassle of taking our FW at the start of every season to have the tires inspected. That's the key point here. Don't rely on the TPMS entirely.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

Lwiddis

June Lake area, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/21 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2, Lantley.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/21 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rlw999 wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

How many have TPMS on their daily vehicle??????

Everyone that drives a car or light truck (< 10,000 lbs) in the USA built after 2007 has one since that's when they became mandatory.

Sept of 2007 (2008+ models) Less than 10,000 GVWR....that leaves out a whole lot of trucks used for daily commutes, work, towing

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/21 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr. Hoerschel, you do have a way with words, and dramatic recounts of non-events, but oh, what on earth did we all do before TPMS were invented?

I agree that TPMS is handy. It doesn't work on our new pickup as OEM systems don't allow for "proper" tire pressure, but rather only mfgs recommended pressure, and the systems are now not able to be re-programmed by the OEMs, but rather only expensive aftermarket software. Of which I haven't done yet to turn off the low tire monitor light.

Not making light of a safety feature. Each person has their priorities and opinions and yours is valid.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/21 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rlw999 wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Everyone that drives a car or light truck (< 10,000 lbs) in the USA built after 2007 has one since that's when they became mandatory.

I'm 2 for 6 on vehicles and 0 fer 2 on trailers under our roof. Would be 3 if I reprogrammed the big truck to work properly rather than what the mfg "thinks" is the right pressure.

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/21 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

rlw999 wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Sept of 2007 (2008+ models) Less than 10,000 GVWR....that leaves out a whole lot of trucks used for daily commutes, work, towing

We did just fine without them. I don't understand how losing both tires leads to such mayhem as described. The coach won't flip over, your brakes still work. Slow down and pull over to the side. Sure it will lean a bit but I've seen plenty of rigs weighing much more than a motorhome losing both tires even losing the hub, drum and tires. If driving something larger than your car is a concern look into a safety course or driving course to help you to understand and know what to do if that situation occurs. Be safe out there.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/21 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Thank you for bringing the story back to real life. Everyone was (like usual here) getting a little Sara Bernhard about it….

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/21 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I intentionally don't have a TPMS on our Class C, but here's some comments:

1. TPMS systems are just another level of complexity that can cause air leaks themselves, or eventually fail to accurately indicate, or otherwise let one down such as in forgetting to periodically replace their transmitter batteries.

2. I carry along a tire-fill air compressor and a trucker's nozzle for the compressor's hose so as to deal with the rear duals.

3. I carry along a rubber-head hammer to quickly check the inner tire of the rear dual sets for firmness whenever stopped.

And probably most importantly, I can easily feel when one tire is low among the rear duallies because the motorhome's handling definitely feels "way off" - soft, squishy, wobbly, etc. - if a rear tire is low or flat. This is from experience, as I've had it happen once and it was obvious that something was wrong.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> The importance of a TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.