Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: fuel additives
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> fuel additives

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/21 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bottom line is filtration or lack of it caused many third gen injector issues, it had nothing to do with additives or not.

I see no reason to use additives plane and simple. Is that clear enough.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Bottom line is filtration or lack of it caused many third gen injector issues, it had nothing to do with additives or not.

I see no reason to use additives plane and simple. Is that clear enough.

I don't think you understand what filters and additives do. While both improve the quality of fuel, they do it in different ways that aren't linked to each other.

Filters improve fuel quality by keeping contaminants like dirt, water, and air from going to your engine. Additives improve how the fuel combusts, add lubricity, and have detergents to clean carbon from the combustion process. There are some water emulsifier/demulsifier additives that either contain or separate water from/in the fuel, but they still do not filter it out.

So you see they do two different things and someone saying that they don't need additives because of their filters is just as silly as saying they don't need filters because of their additives. Hence the reason why I questioned why you brought up filters in a discussion about additives since they don't do the same thing.

Now if you would have said that you don't need additional additives on top of what the fuel supplier adds because you ensure that you always get top-quality fuel with a cetane rating for optimal engine efficiency/performance and has carbon removal detergents with enough lubricity. Then I can see that as a valid reason for saying that you do not need to use additives.

* This post was last edited 06/28/21 07:06am by ShinerBock *   View edit history

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many injector non additive failures are there? I am on the TurboDiesel Register and i have never heard of one. Now poor filtration does cause failures.

Some additives may help but they certainly are not needed.

AMZ/OIL sells Cetane Boost and Fuel conditioner. Anyone on here knows I am an AMZ/OIL fan but I don't use those products. Not saying they don't do a good job but for the money spent and return on the dollar not worth it IMHO.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/21 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I Googled: (bosch HPFP failures), I got 12,800 hits, maybe your Google doesn't work. [emoticon]

ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

How many injector non additive failures are there? I am on the TurboDiesel Register and i have never heard of one. Now poor filtration does cause failures.

Some additives may help but they certainly are not needed.

AMZ/OIL sells Cetane Boost and Fuel conditioner. Anyone on here knows I am an AMZ/OIL fan but I don't use those products. Not saying they don't do a good job but for the money spent and return on the dollar not worth it IMHO.

You are not understanding my question. I am not questioning whether you think that you need additives. That is your opinion which you are entitled to have.

My question was asking why you brought up filters and what they have to do with additives? As far as I know, filters and additives do two different things to the fuel so I was a bit puzzled as to why they were brought up as a reason not to need/use additives.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They have nothing to do with additives.

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did a quick google search and didnt see the quick answer i hoped for.

The diesel pump doesnt list the cetane rating, correct?
Would be nice to know if my local stations have different ratings.

Learjet

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/21 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run some Diesel Kleen through my Cummins from time to time... when I get bored.

2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2015 Wildcat 317RL, MoRryde rubber pin box, Titan Disc Brakes, Trojan T105
B&W Ram Companion

Yamaha EF2600c tri-fuel generator
Champion Model 46595- 3000/3500w

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/21 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Learjet wrote:

I run some Diesel Kleen through my Cummins from time to time... when I get bored.

Must be fun to watch.

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

Did a quick google search and didnt see the quick answer i hoped for.

The diesel pump doesnt list the cetane rating, correct?
Would be nice to know if my local stations have different ratings.

I don't remember seeing any cetane labels on any pump I have used, even at the big truck stops. I have also asked a few times what the rating is and get a blank look from the attendant.
I believe that diesel engine manufacturers recommend a 45 rating for efficient running. But any info from fuel providers indicates a lower rating unless the fuel is "premium", whatever that means. I believe the US standard is 40 cetane but not sure.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> fuel additives
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.