Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: fuel additives
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > fuel additives

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev
TravelinDog

Nevada

Full Member

Joined: 07/20/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/30/21 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To Devo the dog. Your post show exactly what I said about fuel gelling in extreme temps.
Maybe you should work on your reading comprehension.

ShinerBock

LVTX

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2015

View Profile



Posted: 06/30/21 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TravelinDog wrote:

Your fuel may meet the standard, you don't know. I have yet to see any diesel pumps that show the cetane rating anywhere.
Using additives because your fuel "may" not meet standards? Nuts!
Bigfoot "may" exist but probably not.

ShinerBock-From your own cut and paste article.
"Cummins® engines are designed, developed, rated, and built to operate on commercially
available diesel fuel as listed in Table 1: Cummins Inc. Required Diesel Fuel Specifications;
therefore, it is not our policy to recommend fuel additives.therefore, it is not our policy to recommend fuel additives.
In certain situations, when available fuels are of poor quality or problems exist which are
peculiar to certain operations, additives can be used. However, Cummins Inc. recommends
consultation with the fuel supplier or Cummins Inc. Service Engineering Department prior to
the use of fuel additives.



Actually, most states publish their random fuel sampling data and provide it free. Below is an example report from 2014 for the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.

2014 Summer Fuel field Study

As you can see in the report, there are several samples and regions below Texas's 48 cetane and other requirements. I have seen the same kind of reports from others states when I worked at Cummins showing samples that were even below the federal 40 cetane and other requirements. So yes, the data is there if you look and there are many places under Cummins' minimum requirements. Therefore additives may be needed to bring the fuel up to spec as stated by Cummins.

Also, you should read the whole service bulletin (and paragraph you just quoted) instead of cherry-picking data for your own predetermined beliefs. Just because it is not their general policy not to recommend additives without consulting a fuel supplier or a Cummins engineer first(which is lawyer-speak to cover themselves), does not mean they don't recommend them in certain situations as stated in the additives section of that service bulletin. Plus this recommendation changed in 2017 with..... LINK

Again, I KNOW they work because I was a part of the fuel/additive testing when I worked for Cummins. What diesel engine manufacturer and technical research did you do to come up with your theory that they don't?

* This post was edited 06/30/21 03:26pm by ShinerBock *


2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Devo the dog

Moved out of crazy California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/08/2008

View Profile



Posted: 06/30/21 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TravelinDog wrote:

There are no owners manuals that make any mention of using additives of any kind.

LOL. Worth posting again, but a Ford owner's manual.
[image]

* This post was edited 06/30/21 05:26pm by Devo the dog *

Devo the dog

Moved out of crazy California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/08/2008

View Profile



Posted: 06/30/21 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TravelinDog wrote:

To Devo the dog. Your post show exactly what I said about fuel gelling in extreme temps.
Maybe you should work on your reading comprehension.

You should work on your writing and composition. You clearly stated the following (a copy/paste):

"There are no owners manuals that make any mention of using additives of any kind."

Where do you say that some owner's manuals might allow an additive of some kind? You didn't, even if you whispered it.

LOL

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/30/21 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

I've been running probably over 90% ExxonMobil diesel efficient diesel in my truck for a few years now. I believe it keeps your injectors cleaner and emission system cleaner than any other diesel on the market.

Diesel Efficient 1

Diesel Efficient 2

Diesel Efficient 3

This fuel was validated at the Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio Texas.


Ironically my car does not like this fuel. Not sure why because it is a good fuel, but my car has a noticeable vibration at idle every time I put this stuff in it. My truck doesn't care as much about fuel, but the CP4.1 and piezo injectors in my car are finicky as hell about fuel. Probably because it is tuned to run on 50 cetane fuel.

I have a few friends that work at SWR. One tests fuels and chemicals and the other does military projects and research that he can't talk about. My wife was going to work there as a chemist, but became a pharmaceutical scientist instead since it paid a lot more with better benefits.


Interesting feedback... The thing I like about it is my truck regens less with this fuel.


'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > fuel additives
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.