Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Helper springs or air bags?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Helper springs or air bags?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
MikeRP

Westerville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/21 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure about 1500’s but when my 3500 is level with with a load I have reached maximum payload.

I doubt that many people have tested this. That’s about a 3 inch drop on my Ram 3500, 4200 lb payload. The trucks are made to squat.

Also a WD hitch for a bumper does few things is gets the rig back to level if you are not level, it takes weight off the rear, again if you are not level, and puts some of that weight on the front axle, and it helps suspensions that are near max weight act more normally under load.

So all that is under static load and it you add air bags it complicates the setup. I’m not sure the sequence that you hook up your camper in with air bags. Is it hookup the camper to the ball. Then air up the bags to level the load, then put in the wd hitch, or is it hookup the equilizer all up and if it’s still not level pump up the air bags, or there probably other ways?

For that reason I’d probably go with sumo springs or the like, if you have a good hitch like an equalizer.

Just out loud thinking if you air up the bags before hooking up the wd hitch and you don’t load the equalized properly, do you negate the effect of sway control that the equalizer offers?

The other thing that was apparent with me when I owned a Class C motorhome w Firestone ride rites. I would put 75 psi in those bags when flat towing our jeep. That raised the back about 2 inches over level placing more of the loaded weight on the front axle, which made that class c handle ohhh so much better. Also my fancy bike pump works much better and quicker than a compressor for the ride rites.

My Ram is planted towing my fiver. So airbags aren’t needed.

* This post was edited 06/27/21 09:09am by MikeRP *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Helper springs or air bags?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.