Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Favorite Brand of 5th Wheel Toyhauler.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Favorite Brand of 5th Wheel Toyhauler.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/21 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for the input. We won't be ordering it, and won't buy it new unless the price is right. We usually buy used and let the 1st guy fix all the little problems, and sometimes the big ones too. [emoticon]

But my gosh, the prices on these things are all over the board. Same features, same size, different dealer, and you can see $10,000 to $20,000 difference. Crazy. Heck, some dealers want more for a used one than other dealers are asking for new.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

GordonWell

New York

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

XLR Nitro by Forest River is one huge series of fifth-wheel toy haulers. It is one of the best haulers in terms of garage size, length, weight capacity, and general layout.

https://cartransporters.com/

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you. We looked at the XLR Nitro series and were impressed with the overall floor plan and design. I'm not too sure about that window in the front. Compound curves, and radii, so I'd be watching it closely for leaks. But the floor plan for the one we liked is almost identical to the Momentum 351M that we hope to pick up this Wednesday.

hvac

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/21 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW we bought one of the first ATC toyhaulers in 2017. 28 front bedroom with the 5.5 gen. Bumper pull.
It now has over 40k miles and all I can say is it's been a wonderful decision.We had class A, B, and even an airstream.
Nothing compares in durability. Nothing. It gets bounced around all winter up and down the west coast and to Michigan and back and all I've done is axle maint and new tires.
I hope they never sell out to Thor or Winnebago.
Good luck but peel the onion back and compare before you pull the trigger.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/21 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The ATC toyhaulers are certainly nice, but if we bought one we wouldn't have the money to actually use it. [emoticon]

We ended up buying the 2019 Grand Design Momentum 351M that we had looked at. It ticked all the boxes and was at a price we could afford. We were interested in something very nice to live in, and something we could use to haul the Spyder and the Interceptor.

We had a few issues: the Happijac bed would go down but not up. After a couple days of troubleshooting, we found a single wire in the 4-wire phone cord they use for controls, broken somewhere. Ran a new cord and all works as it should. The main awning was working intermittently, but turned out to be an iffy connection where the wires come out of the trailer. Fixed and works great.

The Norcold 10 cuft fridge worked great on our trial outing. Stayed down below 40° even though the outside temps were 95°-100°. All three AC's worked and kept the interior very cool.

The 11 foot garage works great for our minimal toyhauling. The Spyder fits well with room for the Interceptor beside it. So far, we're very happy with it.

It pulls very well, and the only downside is the minimal carrying capacity. We will be up against the GVWR with the Spyder and the Interceptor loaded. Looking underneath, it would appear that I could drop one of the 30 gallon gas tanks and gain about 500 lbs. [emoticon] They certainly are not going to fall out!! Two 7,000 lb. axles and the weight scales show we're at 13,300 lbs. with the Spyder. The Interceptor weighs about 500 lbs., so we'll be right at the limit. But it does pull nice, so we shall see.

hvac

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/21 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Main thing is you are now free travel about the country. Enjoy!

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/21 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you. Once the weather breaks a bit and we can put the pool to bed for the year, we'll be headed somewhere. We may even try to winter over somewhere.

hvac

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/21 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We love Michigan and summer the rig is tucked away. But when the winds of October start blowing we go west until April.
Migration is a good thing!

WhitehouseLV

Cowboy State

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/21 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

make sure whichever model you do get and if it has the auto level system that the jacks are in the highest position when raised. There is typically 2-4 adjustment holes. By having them in the highest slot/hole it will add ~2-4 more inches of ground clearance. The dealer will need to recalibrate the auto-leveling system once the jacks are raised, but that shouldn't be difficult.

40' Keystone Toyhauler
F350 6.4L DRW to pull the TH
KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Kawasaki KX 100
Honda CRF 150R
Honda CRF 80F
Honda CRF 110F
Honda CRF 450X
Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail
Polaris 50 Outlaw

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/21 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just curious why the jacks should be in the highest position? I would think lower would be more stable since there would be less of the leg extended. As long as there is enough clearance so they don't drag. I've never had the auto-level before so I don't know.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Favorite Brand of 5th Wheel Toyhauler.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.