Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: New F-150 Electric P/U
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New F-150 Electric P/U

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/21 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am recently back from a 2 week trip to Alaska that included traveling the Dalton to the Beaufort Sea (Arctic Ocean), so no power between the Northern Moosed Campground and Deadhorse, unless it was a generator at Yukon Crossing or Coldfoot. 400 + miles one way, so EV's are not ready for prime time yet. We still need to run the Dempster and the trans Labrador. We are a camping forum, so it is reasonable that the "normal" here would be different.

Now go to the name of the forum, "Tow Vehicles". So how far will it tow a 10K travel trailer, or 5er. With the A/C on, or the heater. In a six hour day? An 8 hour day? or A 10 hour day. How about a 15K 5er? These are important questions on a towing forum, not so much on a "commuter car" forum. Until we can get some answers to these questions, they are just interesting, not must haves.

Redcatcher70

Beebe, AR

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I didn't fill in all the info. We don't own any type of unit currently, maybe in the future. My daily driver is a F250 Super Duty, CC, V-10, 2WD. I am planning on downsizing in the near future. DW daily is a Buick Encore. We like to make trips in the truck, car is a little small. We make the Texas trip every two or three months, to see the grands. First question, when are all these charging stations going to be installed, who is paying for the stations, how much will a charge cost. We all know the power grids in Texas are about maxed out, how much is a home charger installed cost? I don't see a electric truck in my future.... Son does not have a charger at his home either, you think he might install one for me.

Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

500,000 divided by 10 chargers at each station....50,000 charging stations.

That's in addition to the ~50,000 existing chargers. Plus everyone in a house has a charger at home in the form of an electrical outlet (even if it's not a fast charger, overnight slow charging will handle the average commute), while few of us have home gasoline refueling stations so we still have to go to a gas station once a week or so.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Redcatcher70 wrote:

Well, I didn't fill in all the info. We don't own any type of unit currently, maybe in the future. My daily driver is a F250 Super Duty, CC, V-10, 2WD. I am planning on downsizing in the near future. DW daily is a Buick Encore. We like to make trips in the truck, car is a little small. We make the Texas trip every two or three months, to see the grands. First question, when are all these charging stations going to be installed, who is paying for the stations, how much will a charge cost. We all know the power grids in Texas are about maxed out, how much is a home charger installed cost? I don't see a electric truck in my future.... Son does not have a charger at his home either, you think he might install one for me.

Howdy. I can only help with the last two questions re chargers at your home or your sons.

All EV’s come with built in level 2 chargers as well as the EVSE that connects to the homes power source. The expense comes in adding the stove plug (14-50 receptacle same as found in RV parks) in your sons or your garage. In our case it was 350 bucks. But every house is different. Depends a lot where your panel is. This typically allows for a full charge overnight.

Hope that helps.

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Redcatcher70 wrote:

OK, saw the ad on television for the Electric F-150, not really impressed. 300 mile average distance traveled on a charge, then charge overnight and ready for another 300 miles. I live in Central Arkansas, my son lives in Rockwall, Texas, I calculated my mileage and come up with total distance of 327 miles. Not counting off and ons for potty breaks and he lives a few miles off I-30, I rounded it up to 350 miles.
Now if I drove the elec. truck, I would have to find a place between Greenville and Rowlett to charge and spend the night. Why would I want one of these trucks?

Welcome to the wonderful world of the always a day late, and a mile short EV's.

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Redcatcher70 wrote:

Howdy. I can only help with the last two questions re chargers at your home or your sons.

All EV’s come with built in level 2 chargers as well as the EVSE that connects to the homes power source. The expense comes in adding the stove plug (14-50 receptacle same as found in RV parks) in your sons or your garage. In our case it was 350 bucks. But every house is different. Depends a lot where your panel is. This typically allows for a full charge overnight.

Hope that helps.

Finish it out Reis,,,,,,

Or that level 2 charger that comes with the vehicle will charge you up, in somewhere between 2 and 9 days depending on how big your truck battery is.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tesla Model 3 towing 26ft Airstream

Follow up video during a 500 mile in a day trip

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Redcatcher70 wrote:

Hope that helps.

Finish it out Reis,,,,,,

Or that level 2 charger that comes with the vehicle will charge you up, in somewhere between 2 and 9 days depending on how big your truck battery is.

No. Let’s assume a 150 kWh battery and then extrapolate from there depending on your expectation of battery size. Using the built in charger and supplied EVSE at a conservative 8 KW setting. Assuming you arrive with 20 percent (most people don’t run their “tanks” dry) you would expect to see a 17 hour charge using a standard stove plug and running it at a conservative 32 amps. If you wanted to spring for an aftermarket EVSE that supports 48 amps on a dedicated hardwire 60 amp circuit then you would be looking at 12 hours. But most of us are cheap and just use the unit that comes with the EV so say 17 hours. Cars are about half of that as the battery is half the size. That would be our case.

We only use about 8 kWh a day but our commute is only 50 kilometres. The car typically starts to charge at 2 in the morning and is done by three.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/21 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weve seen them tow stuff. Its the recharging part thats the limiting factor. Canada has a lot of charging stations. And if you watch the video, he charges at one that empty. If it wasnt, he would not even be able to charge without unhooking. Look for the vid of the guy that atually took it camping. He made it but it was a pain for him to find charging stations, and he had to unhook a few times to do it. Plus the range wasnt that great. Even in your vid , you state that if it wasnt an airstream i wouldnt get the millage. So, there is that also. Right now towing with ellectric isnt there for me. Imagine getting stuck at a campground and the power goes out? Now your stuck. This may happen more and more untill they improve the electric grid.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/21 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh thats right, thats with the extra charging system installed. Assuming who you are visiting has installed one.
If you simply plug it into a standard wall outlet, nobody had to spend hundreds to add, then it"s how long?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New F-150 Electric P/U
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.