Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: GFI Breaker
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> GFI Breaker

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/21 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

I was not able to open the OP's image on my old computer. I got it open just a minute or so ago, His photo is wafer, twin or tandem breakers. In his verbage, he said he bought a single pole breaker.
I am guessing verbage from OP is wrong and he did buy a wafer, twin or tandem breaker.
Yes, tandem breakers have gone up in price. I was talking price for standard single pole breaker.
Sorry if we were confusing one another.

His pix shows 1" breakers which are standard sized single pole breakers, if you look up BD1515 you will find it is a 1" standard size breaker.

It is not wafer thin or half size 1/2" breakers, those can only be used in specific panels (not typically found OEM in RVs)designed for those breakers and they have a different method of coupling to the breaker panel buss that is often incompatible with the full sized 1" breakers.

OPs verbiage is understandably not as direct as a person that has done a lot of electrical work would be, and that is OK as a pix as they say is worth a thousand words and the OPs pix gave me enough clues to figure out what they had.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/21 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your BD twin breakers fit the same slot/opening as a standard breaker but has two amp rated outputs. They are considered thin, wafer or tandem breakers. Each breaker section is 1/2 inch times two making it one inch overall thickness.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/21 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let's get back on the OP's problem.
He has power leaving on a circuit identified as GFI. Some of his receptacles do not work. He has found one GFCI receptacle.
I believe he may have another.
Another possibility is the feed through function is not working in the one he found.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/21 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

enblethen wrote:

Double check the galley area for another GFCI receptacle
If you paid $25 for a single pole breaker, you got ripped off! There is nothing special about RV breakers!

Those are Eaton BD1515 Duplex or "twin" breakers, and are two breakers built into one full size housing.

[image]

Allows one to add more circuits to the breaker box than single full size breakers would have allowed. Works in boxes not designed for half size breakers.

They are more expensive than if you used a single full size breaker and $25 is not out of line..

Same one is selling for $22.63 at Amazon HERE, add in taxes and possibly shipping it would be right around $25..

Nothing special about that breaker, it is not a GFCI breaker and somewhere down the wiring line there is most likely a GFCI since the panel label mentions it..

Wahts your point?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/21 10:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

Let's get back on the OP's problem.
He has power leaving on a circuit identified as GFI. Some of his receptacles do not work. He has found one GFCI receptacle.
I believe he may have another.
Another possibility is the feed through function is not working in the one he found.

Ooh, that's an interesting idea.
A couple of years ago I replaced a GFCI in a friends kitchen only to find nothing after it worked. I finally figured out that in some point in time manufacturers swapped the input and output locations on newer GFCI's and the new ones just don't work if reversed (I just copied the existing wiring). I wonder if that's what's going on here..
If the OP's RV is anything like my Arctic Fox, wiring stuff backwards is a real possibility.

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/21 04:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might also be a bad "stab" connection in one of the outlets in the string.

* This post was edited 07/02/21 05:02am by larry cad *

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/21 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm coming in late here. The "it worked an hour later" thing, did you or the GF unplug any appliances in that time? Removing one appliance or even switching it off, that has a ground fault internally would then allow the system to work after resetting.

2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/21 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a twin breaker. Sorry for the confusion. I replaced the GFCI in the bathroom. And now the downstream outlets work. Someone guessed "loose connection". I think that was it, so the replacement was not necessary, but the installation caused me to tighten things up.

There is something special about camping in an RV.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/21 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the update!
Could also been feed through function.

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/22 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Months later - here is the update.

After the bathroom GFI, the circuit goes to 2 outdoor outlets, then outlets in the living room, then 2 outlets in the kitchen. I turned off the power to the rig and tested the continuity to all the plugs by shorting them together and measuring resistance. All were were connected. So I removed the outdoor outlets and found one bad connection. The wires in the outdoor outlet were the kind you just insert into a hole - not tied down the nearby screws. So I removed a loose connection and screwed it down. That was the culprit.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> GFI Breaker
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.