Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Armoured extension cord
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Armoured extension cord

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 08/14/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/01/21 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I need an armoured extension cord to power my RV at home, but I need it to cross the driveway, so it will be run over by the vehicles. Any suggestions?

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 10/30/2015

View Profile



Posted: 07/01/21 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remove one end (plug) from cord and put cord inside a 3/4 inch PVC pipe, then reinstall a new plug.

RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 11/26/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/01/21 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Three pieces of 1X4 or some 3/4 inch plywood by how ever long your need. Lay two pieces on either side of the cord and bridge the gap and cord with the third. Secure with small screws, washers and nuts.

Gdetrailer

PA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2007

View Profile



Posted: 07/01/21 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No such thing exists and if it did would be more expensive than your RV.

The closest thing to armored cable that I can think of is this

[image]

"BX" cable, but, it is not designed for and cannot be used for outdoor use, it is not designed to be run over..

Find a different route such as overhead or take it the long way around or bury conduit under the driveway and run some wire through the conduit and terminate to a RV outlet.

You could also try cord protectors that look like this..

[image]

[image]

That one is rated for 22,000 lbs but it is expensive for a 40" length..

Found HERE for $52.00

gbopp

The Keystone State

Senior Member

Joined: 08/03/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/01/21 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Find a different route such as overhead or take it the long way around or bury conduit under the driveway and run some wire through the conduit and terminate to a RV outlet.

X2. Do it right and do it one time.

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 07/01/21 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pull the wire under the driveway. Or have a professional do it. You may already have a slip pipe to route irrigation.


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 08/14/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/01/21 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

No such thing exists and if it did would be more expensive than your RV.

The closest thing to armored cable that I can think of is this

[image]

"BX" cable, but, it is not designed for and cannot be used for outdoor use, it is not designed to be run over..

Find a different route such as overhead or take it the long way around or bury conduit under the driveway and run some wire through the conduit and terminate to a RV outlet.

You could also try cord protectors that look like this..

[image]

[image]

That one is rated for 22,000 lbs but it is expensive for a 40" length..

Found HERE for $52.00


Those covers might be a better way to go.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/01/21 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ease off the coffee and metamucil, guys....
Bore under the driveway? Put up an overhead line? I mean I suppose if it's going to be there for years, but then an extension cord in and of itself wouldnt be the right choice.



spe
Build a cord protector out of wood, buy one like above, stuff the cord in small piece of pipe, or anything similar. Easy peasy. We do this daily to drive semis and construction equipment over cords and hoses on jobsites. Pretty sure it will work for your car.

PS it's even OSHA approved for the "do it right" cops who replied...


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 08/22/2006

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 07/01/21 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What material is your driveway made from, hard surface, asphalt (blacktop) concrete , the above suggestions are great, gravel stone etc, uneven, then questionable especially if there are tire depressions.

Ken


2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 08/14/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/01/21 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beverley&Ken wrote:

What material is your driveway made from, hard surface, asphalt (blacktop) concrete , the above suggestions are great, gravel stone etc, uneven, then questionable especially if there are tire depressions.

Ken


Packed gravel and there are tire depressions.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Armoured extension cord
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.