Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Fire in the coach.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Fire in the coach.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/21 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We recently had a near miss, the Inverter circuit board decided to over heat and catch on fire.
We were home and smelled smoke, and found the electrical compartment was on fire, we park next to the house, where the junction box is, so my reaction was to unplug the 50 AMP chord and deploy the extinguisher.
The fire was quickly put out.
Things that saved our A**es was Newmar has a firebox built in the coach. we were home when it happened.
Facts - no circuit breakers were blown, the circuit board simply malfunctioned, causing the inverter /charger to short circuit.
The cure, we removed the 4 lead acid batteries, the inverter, and all heavy cables. to make room for the up grade.
we installed 4, 200 AMP hour Lithium batteries, and a Victron 3000 watt inverter/charger, and a 500AMP smart shunt, and a Victron 30 amp 12to12smart charger we eliminated the ability to do a boosted start.

The folks at Battle Born talked thru it. they are great, and provide the videos to show me how.
we now monitor the system with my phone,- blue tooth connection

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/21 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A trailer fire beside the house would have been bad news...

Glad you controlled it.

I often wonder if a fire suppression system in the electrical room wouldn't be a worthy project.

DC amps are happy to flow to the earth until everything is welded, melted, on fire or all of the above...

I just bought a vintage truck camper for fun - seller had a pristine healthy fully charged grp 31 deep cycle looking at me, direct wired with no fusing whatsoever to an inverter in a garment closet between the bed and the door....

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/21 04:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The cure sounds good but do not discount the fact that lithium batteries carry their own fire hazards. Another thing to consider is that putting out a lithium battery fire is a little different than putting out a regular fire. The lithium batteries create their own fuel and oxygen so certain types of extinguishers may have little affect.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/21 05:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

The cure sounds good but do not discount the fact that lithium batteries carry their own fire hazards. Another thing to consider is that putting out a lithium battery fire is a little different than putting out a regular fire. The lithium batteries create their own fuel and oxygen so certain types of extinguishers may have little affect.

While it is true LI batteries have a bad rep of Flame On

There are several types of LI batteries and some are more likely to flame on than others.

Interpreting this chart https://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/pdf/TC-16-17.pdf
Is a bit above my pay grade but to me it APPEARS LiFePo4 is safer than some of the older Lithium Metal Hydride types. that set so many laptops aflame. But I stress "Appears" and "Above my pay grade"

Still I present the chart for consideration by folks who are above my pay grade.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

folivier

Southeast Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/21 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LiFePO4 batteries are definitely MUCH safer than Lithium Ions. The recommended procedure is to flood the batteries with water IF they catch fire. Please do your research these are two completely different chemistries.
Not sure what the batteries Tom/Barb is using but if LiFePO4 there is no concern for safety.
I have 3 Battleborn 100 amp batteries in my motorhome and in a previous motorhome built a 1000 amphour system using Winston cells. Very safe systems, no concerns with fire.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/21 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad you were home and got things under control. A MH fire is one of our concerns since we store it IN our home. Did install a fire sprinkler system in the MH bay…hopefully it never gets hot enough in there for them to go off.

Battle Born only sells LiFePO4 batteries which are not fire prone like the type used in laptops. I recently built 600AH of Lithium’s for $1200…cheaper than AGMs.
You could add a 1200A starter solenoid ($25) as your boost solenoid.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/21 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

Glad you were home and got things under control. A MH fire is one of our concerns since we store it IN our home. Did install a fire sprinkler system in the MH bay…hopefully it never gets hot enough in there for them to go off.

Battle Born only sells LiFePO4 batteries which are not fire prone like the type used in laptops. I recently built 600AH of Lithium’s for $1200…cheaper than AGMs.

Exactly --- LiFePO4 are very safe, and are a better deal than lead in the long run.

when doing a change over to BattleBorn, remember the Chassis batteries are Lead Acid, and you must separate the 2 systems.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/21 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

In 20 years of service I have never use the Boosted start system.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/21 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

Show me an example of a Li battery type in use as a motorhome??

If my Laptop ever catches on fire, I'm throwing it out the window and taking pictures. [emoticon]

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/21 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

Ivylog wrote:

In 20 years of service I have never use the Boosted start system.

Until I replaced the gear Delco starter on my ISX with a gear Denso, I used the boost on every start.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Fire in the coach.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.