Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Should I Throw In the Towel?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Should I Throw In the Towel?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"three trailers, three units were major problems. This latest trailer just purchased late last summer is the latest to push me over the edge."

Your doing something wrong!
Either your doing very poor PDI when you first get your trailers.
Your not keeping up with regular maintenance. You are not being obesrvant enough to catch/discover small issues before they become major problems.
Your latest issue is an example. It is common for skylights to leak in all models however the leak does not have to lead to a totally soaked ceiling!
RV's are in constant flux. You must be observant and aware at all times as you use your RV.
Pay attention to all the liitle squeaks and noises. If it seams weird investigate further. Notice a wet spot, find out why? Hear an odd sound,find out why? It is an on going battle, but you can win. You just need to be diligant aware and observant.
As to your current problem unless you have the skills to DIY you are at the mercy of your dealer and manufacturer. Executing the warranty is full of pitfalls

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Kampfirekid

usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/21 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

"three trailers, three units were major problems. This latest trailer just purchased late last summer is the latest to push me over the edge."

Your not keeping up with regular maintenance. You are not being obesrvant enough to catch/discover small issues before they become major problems.
Your latest issue is an example. It is common for skylights to leak in all models however the leak does not have to lead to a totally soaked ceiling!
RV's are in constant flux. You must be observant and aware at all times as you use your RV.
Pay attention to all the liitle squeaks and noises. If it seams weird investigate further. Notice a wet spot, find out why? Hear an odd sound,find out why? It is an on going battle, but you can win. You just need to be diligant aware and observant.
As to your current problem unless you have the skills to DIY you are at the mercy of your dealer and manufacturer. Executing the warranty is full of pitfalls

Well fella, when you don’t know the reason why I’ve had trailer issues, you really shouldn’t assume (you know what that means) that everyone is ignorant and stupid in buying, operating, or maintaining their RV of trailer JUST because they have a history of more than one bad rig.

I didn't sign up for this rodeo last week or last year. Ive done more trailer repairs than most, and when I can’t reasonably take care of it under warranty or out of warranty, THEN I get a bit testy. You see, the first bad rig had the frame sag 4 inches in 8 feet off the rear a year after we bought it. Not quite a maintenance or PDI issue. The second trailer had the slide removed after the floor rotted out of it in the first year. The rubber roofing was not terminated under the flashing, and back then, no rain drip edges were on the exterior wall above the slide. When the pulled the slide out, they laid it on its exterior face and drug it across the shop floor gouging vertical scratches all the way up the wall face. THAT was 1/50th of the issues the FACTORY created during the warranty repairs. Now on the third, I just walked the roof two weeks before. No issues. In fact, we haven’t had rain in our area this spring or summer to measure in inches.

So, if I you find how any of these are maintenance or PDI issues, please, let me know. Do you walk the roof on your fiver daily or four times a week? I can’t imagine much change in a trailer in the typical two week span I walk the trailer and roof checking for leaks, caulk issues, or cracks… while it sits in the driveway. Now, after storms, or other possible damage creating events, I’d expect to be more diligent.

2019 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew. 5–/2 foot bed. 3.0L Powerstroke,
Loaded. 2020 K-Z Connect SE 241BHKSE

trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good to know that KZ uses OSB for the roof deck. That's a pretty low budget build, which means I will cross them off my list.

Bob

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trail-explorer wrote:

Good to know that KZ uses OSB for the roof deck. That's a pretty low budget build, which means I will cross them off my list.

I know they use T&G plywood for their floors, not sure about roof, but I thought it was 3/8 ply.
connect

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There all junk, you simply examine you're tolerance level with each unit.

Kampfirekid

usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/21 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

trail-explorer wrote:

I know they use T&G plywood for their floors, not sure about roof, but I thought it was 3/8 ply.
connect

The roof is OSB. The wood chip shapes on the top surface are separating and lifting, snd telegraphing their shapes through the rubber roof. The under side is the stamped waffle pattern.

I dropped it off Saturday at the dealer. They took pictures and said they’d dive into it on Monday. I sure hope K-Z steps up to replace the roof decking. I’m wondering how much water made it into the wall and down to the floor, too.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/21 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bring it out to the south western desert. It WILL dry out immediately.
Right now we have areas that are 100F at sunrise and zero humidity.

Then have a new one piece Flex Armor type roof installed and get on with your adventures.

https://rvroof.com

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 09:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

I think your statement that it is common for skylights to leak proves his point. Since they have been putting the same crappy leaking skylights in for what 15-20 years, you’d thing they could fix it by now.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wowens79 wrote:

Lantley wrote:

I think your statement that it is common for skylights to leak proves his point. Since they have been putting the same crappy leaking skylights in for what 15-20 years, you’d thing they could fix it by now.

100% agree. We buy trucks and other vehicles that depending on their use can take equal or in some cases far more of a beating, spend about the same $ on them, come with far more up to date technology and complication / engineering, and yet they ship with at least a 3 yr 36k mile bumper to bumper warranty (sometimes longer). I think it's really sad that the RV industry is so filled with junk that it is a common answer to hear "that's just normal you have to watch out for it". Imagine if your truck windshield leaked and caused mold at 15 months old with 18k miles on it and the dealer said "did you have it professional checked and resealed???" if not no warranty. I love camping / RV'ing as much as anyone but as consumers we tend to give them far too much leeway and even make excuses to support them using junk materials and rushing their build.

Kampfirekid

usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/21 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess much better units are available, but at what cost? An Oliver, basically as water and mouse proof as it gets today, is a cost of 3x of anything stick & tin or fiberglass over aluminum, on the market. Same with Airstream. I’m not sure it’s worth that. These prices approach small motorhome prices. There is so much technology out there that is untapped, yet the same materials and build is used as 40 years ago. I guess one thought is how frequently people outgrow or switch RV’s. The industry couldn’t support that for most of build quality and materials were great. To me, after looking at the Oliver’s, for example, that is a long term investment. Not only by the price, but it looks to be one to last with no roofing, caulk, and water issues. These are what ultimately take these low budget trailers out of commission as they age. It seems inevitable.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Should I Throw In the Towel?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.