Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Glad I caught this
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Glad I caught this

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doing my usual walk around something caught my eye. I noticed one of the bolt heads on my front jack mounting plates was missing ( drivers front corner) I wasn't too worried as there are 5 bolts on that plate and 6 on the other side of the corner. Then I checked closer, not just one bolt head was missing but two others were snapped off but still there stuck on by Dicor.

I figured and hour tops to use an easy out and replace the bolts. Nope try 5 hours. Had to take the jack and mounting plate off as one of the bolts snapped diagonally and I needed better access to drill. OK the Lance is a 2008 1055, aluminum frame.

When I pulled the jack plate I figured out the issue. on one side of the plate no lap sealant, the other side had over 1/8 of an inch of lap sealant. The plate was not flat agaist the camper and over time the flexing of the plate on the sealant caused the grade 5 bolts to crack and fail.
I replaced all the bolts with Grade 8, cleaned up all the old sealant, reapplied a thin even layer dicor and then after remounting the plate I sealed all the bolts and seams with no sag dicor

I did inspect all the bolts on the other jacks and they were all good

It pays to check all your stuff on a regular basis
[image]
[image]
[image]

* This post was last edited 07/19/21 07:25pm by Buzzcut1 *   View edit history

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, good job catching that!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lucky you for sure.

Makes me think I should check mine. [emoticon]

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 10:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had on of the lag bolts which held the jack bracket on our 1996 break. I managed to get the broken piece out. I replaced the lag bolt with lots of caulk and never had another issue.

Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 11:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would inspect the frame a bit closer.
I did own 2 TC and both had the issue.
The wood frame rotten due to factory-inflicted leaks and the bolts were dangling.
But both of my camper had at least 4 of the screws being machine bolts, who would go on other side of the wall and bolted to the steel channel inside inner corner.
Your bolts look pretty short, so I wonder what they hold to?
The fiberglass skin? or is there a metal behind?

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/21 05:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Easy Out" multiple big lies, it ain't easy and it might not come out. I wish I was smart enough to make something better. A left hand bit and running the drill in reverse sometimes works, sometimes drill it all out then tap a new hole.

You did the most miserable job of them all. Good catch!

Reality Check

North Bend

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomas201 wrote:

"Easy Out" multiple big lies, it ain't easy and it might not come out. I wish I was smart enough to make something better. A left hand bit and running the drill in reverse sometimes works, sometimes drill it all out then tap a new hole.

This ^^^ most miserable tools with almost zero reasonable alternatives. You'll be a popular and wealthy hero if you figure out something better!

Buzzcut, nice job noticing the loose ones.

'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reality Check wrote:

thomas201 wrote:

This ^^^ most miserable tools with almost zero reasonable alternatives. You'll be a popular and wealthy hero if you figure out something better!

It's the Fire Fighter/Medic in me. We are trained to spot things that don't match with everything else

Supercharged111

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hooray for sloppy craftsmanship! Guess I'll give mine a good once over too now.

2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 05:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reality Check wrote:

thomas201 wrote:

Over the years I have decided the best place the start is a left-handed drill. Many times this alone will back the bolt out. And if it doesn't, most methods require a hole, so nothing is lost.
1 night I discovered most of the transmission/bellhousing bolts broken. The only way to get a drill to them would be remove that 13sp trans. Out of desperation I grabbed some welding rods too short to use. With a good ground, the short clamped tight, I would stick the rod down hole to bolt. Had helper turn on welder, the I would pull the rod out until arc, stick. Pliers on the rod to unscrew, a tap to clean any slag out of threads, new bolts with Lock-Tite, discuss with driver about how he didn't notice the clutch pedal was funky.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Glad I caught this
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.