Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Thoughts on a weird/unique way to empty holding tanks.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Thoughts on a weird/unique way to empty holding tanks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EMD360 wrote:

I do the lift method at home and dump into our outdoor clean out. But a pit toilet is dry waste. I would think unless it is very seldom used it would not be an appropriate type of waste. Taking advantage of park facilities in ways not designed for is misuse. Wouldn’t want to be guilty of that. Not sure how 2 week boondocking folks handle more waste than fits in the black tank. Are the secondary tanks big enough? Where are they stored? I’m guessing they are too heavy to lift when filled.

We used one of those 42(?) gallon blue tanks for a while. Carried it using a spare tire holder that bolts to the underside of the trailer frame. They're too small and you can't tow them far or fast - so unless you have a macerator pump, fill them in your truck bed, and have a lot of patience they're not good for boondocking. We gave ours away to a neighbor at a Thousand Trails site and said good riddance.

We use a macerator pump (Sani-Con Turbo) and 165 gallon custom-made collapsible bladder in our fifth wheel. Pump it into the truck bed and just take the truck to a dump station. Everything is setup with camlock fittings and the hose is permanently attached, so there is never any mess.

We use a composting toilet and combined the grey/black tanks on our TC, for 83 gallons of grey capacity. That's enough to go a couple weeks on.

2021 Ram 5500 Limited 84CA Cummins 4x4 w/ flatbed
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/21 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I needed a significant amount of grey water moved, I would do the collapsible bladder.

The portable macerator is the best thing if you need to go around a corner, up a hill, up into a truck bed, etc. I did the "lift method" at home a few times and it was never as simple as it should be. First, those stinky slinkies aren't sturdy enough to lift easily - it takes multiple "walks" down the length to get them to empty partially. Second, if you need the extra reach, they always leak at the connection when you lift.

With those two items, you could extend a dry camping experience nicely. A one hour trip to a dump station would be a no biggie (pick up some fresh groceries while you're out).

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/21 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doesn't the macerator "chew up" the solids, and toilet paper so they can pass through the garden hose effectively?

Im sorry, but I see no way this would work effectively. But hey, give it a shot and take pictures.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

RKW

Four Corners, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/21 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would probably be better to just logistically plan your camping trip to allow for trips to a proper dump station just like the rest of us.

Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250
  • 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280 WS
  • Dual Honda EU2000i Generators

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.

• toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/21 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

Doesn't the macerator "chew up" the solids, and toilet paper so they can pass through the garden hose effectively?

Im sorry, but I see no way this would work effectively. But hey, give it a shot and take pictures.

Mike

Yes it does. It also has a pump so it pushes the chewed up stuff through the hose instead of it just sitting in there waiting for gravity to move it.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/21 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please keep in mind that there are two very different types of toilets in back-country campgrounds.
    One is the "pit toilet". This is pretty much identical to the old "outhouse" some of us had when we were kids: A hole in the ground with a little house on top of it. When the hole gets full to a certain point, the house is moved, the hole filled in, and a new hole dug to put the house over. In these, the liquids percolate through the soil, and the solids are left in the hole.
    The other is the "vault toilet". In this case, the hole has a solid concrete or fiberglas vault in it, with a pretty much permanent house built above it. The vault holds everything, and must be pumped out regularly, usually on a schedule not on an "as needed" basis.
    Dumping RV tanks in either toilet is almost always against the rules, and may result in a ticket being issued, and/or eviction from the campground.
    The (in)famous "blue tote" may seem like a good idea, but around here the nearest dump station can be anywhere from 10 to 40 miles from the campground. That is why I no longer have one.
    Some areas may allow draining the grey water slowly into the brush next to the campsite. Other areas will issue a ticket and/or eviction notice for doing it.
    As always, read the instructions when checking in to find out what is legal and not legal. Then comply with the instructions.
    Good luck

CM1, USN (RET)
    2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
    Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
    Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
    Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
    Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
    "When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/21 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I’m that far away from dump facilities, there’s always a place to fertilize the forest that won’t be offensive to anyone. Or worst case, poop in the woods.
    I’d poop in the woods before 90% of the pit toilets anyway. Yuck!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
    2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
    Page of 5  
    Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Thoughts on a weird/unique way to empty holding tanks.
    Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
    Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.