Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Speed limits
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Speed limits

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
Jarlaxle

New England

Senior Member

Joined: 11/18/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/19/21 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

marpel wrote:

And a quick observation on the "speeding cop" comments.

Although I am human like everyone else and occasionally, even while on duty, would find myself travelling a couple kmh over the posted limit - almost impossible to keep under or at the limit all the time. However, I endeavoured to follow the limit, especially while in a marked pc. And would often find myself travelling down the street/highway, with a whole line of pissed off motorists following me, and a whole big empty road ahead.

Follow the rules, people are angry at you, speed a bit to alleviate the traffic jam and people are pissed at you.

And I should add, often a member is dispatched to a call that is not considered an emergency (so no authorized emergency equipment and higher rate of speed), but serious enough for the member to "step it up" a little. To some, he looks like he is just ignoring the speed laws, however....sometimes it's just easier to criticize.

And don't get me wrong, I don't condone any officer breaking the law, just thought I would add a bit of context to the discussion.

Marv


In this area, typical pace for a cop on the highway is 85-90. Anyone who doesn't move over instantly gets high-beams and usually 4 spotlights shined into the car, with an Explorer a foot from their bumper.


John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ">
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/19/21 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no problem with a marked emergency vehicle driving over the speed limit. The assumption is that they are doing so in the performance of their duties and that the excess speed is necessary. I am willing to accept that assumption.

I do take issue with off duty law enforcement officers (or off duty emergency personnel) in private vehicles speeding and not being ticketed if stopped. The "good ole boy" wave 'em on attitude is wrong.


1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Jarlaxle

New England

Senior Member

Joined: 11/18/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/19/21 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

I think if they put the speed limit at 50 mph on every highway and limited the top end of every vehicle to 55 mph there would be next to zero traffic fatalities. I also think the speed limit on divided highways and many lightly travelled 2 lane highways could be 80 mph; almost all other highways could be 65 mph and the number of traffic fatalities wouldn’t change much from where we are at. I’d be ok with the latter.

Edit: not sure how fast semis and RV should travel.


The same speed as other traffic, not to exceed 75MPH. (That's what many truck tires are rated for.)

4x4ord

Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2010

View Profile



Posted: 07/19/21 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

I have no problem with a marked emergency vehicle driving over the speed limit. The assumption is that they are doing so in the performance of their duties and that the excess speed is necessary. I am willing to accept that assumption.

I do take issue with off duty law enforcement officers (or off duty emergency personnel) in private vehicles speeding and not being ticketed if stopped. The "good ole boy" wave 'em on attitude is wrong.


Do you stand opposed to the 1500 private jets landing in Sun Valley bringing billionaires together to talk about climate change?[emoticon]


2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

Senior Member

Joined: 12/31/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/19/21 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While there may be no evidence that differential speed causes accidents, there is certainly empirical evidence that the greater the differential speed, the greater the potential for having accidents and the greater the severity of the accidents.

Hence there is a reason why there is a minimum speed limit on freeways and why you can't drive your moped on them.

JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/19/21 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:



This is why it isn't just black and white. There are many grey areas where one person's opinion will say that they shouldn't and another's says it is warranted. I feel that one can't just say that no cop should go over the speed limit without their lights, period. These people are either very ignorant to the situations of what an officer faces day in and day out. That is like me telling someone else how to do their job even though I do not fully understand all aspects of their job.


But unless there is a hard and fast line, then when it comes to enforcement, blue will always be justified, and others it is blue that decides what is right. There is nothing right about that.

Quote:

Then you have to ask who should be in charge of drawing that line and what politics, knowledge, and/or biases are driving their perception. Many people here said they should not do it period, but most do not have much knowledge about the job. It is a slippery slope and there are I feel many more important things that should be addressed first because they are bigger problems than a cop doing 10 over.


Like I say the cop can always come up with a reason for his fast driving. But my statement is if a cop is not on a call, and cars are speeding near him that cop should be fired.

Quote:

Now keep in mind that I agree that there are bad cops that do break the law because they feel that they can. However, these types of officers are generally hated by the other cops as well because it gives them a bad name. It is extremely hard to get rid of these types of officers in large metro areas with unions. While the unions do a go job at protecting good cops, their rules and regulations that the departments have to follow also protect a percentage of bad cops. So it is one of those cases that in order to have the good, then you have to understand that it will also come with a percentage of bad as with most things. Expecting 100% good is just an unrealistic expectation.


If you have 1000 cops and 3 are bad actors, but the 997 will not stop the 3, you have 1000 bad cops. Unions are collections people. If the members stand up for the bad actor, he stays. But if members stand up against him he will leave.


BobsYourUncle wrote:

A point perhaps worth considering regarding a LEO and driving is that they are not an average driver taught by mom and dad how to pilot a car.

They undergo rigorous training behind the wheel. They are taught to be observant of all things and situations. They are taught to be keenly aware of their surroundings and more.

Their drivers ed teaches them by actual scenarios how to react in a multitude of traffic situations. Things like a pursuit chase - they learn by controlled training how to react to their surroundings, what to expect from other drivers etc etc.

Bottom line is that a LEO is far better equipped to handle a vehicle than the average driver is.



Yeah. Right. Sure. Want to buy a bridge?
They also sing that song, dance that dance about their firearms. But often they lack judgement about when to use, and a large percentage of their rounds do not hit the intended target.

toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/19/21 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

I have no problem with a marked emergency vehicle driving over the speed limit. The assumption is that they are doing so in the performance of their duties and that the excess speed is necessary. I am willing to accept that assumption.

I do take issue with off duty law enforcement officers (or off duty emergency personnel) in private vehicles speeding and not being ticketed if stopped. The "good ole boy" wave 'em on attitude is wrong.


Do you stand opposed to the 1500 private jets landing in Sun Valley bringing billionaires together to talk about climate change?[emoticon]


What does that have to do with this?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/19/21 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Banner thread 4x!
And it’s not even a ouut the bsfc of a Powerstroke at 1969 rpms!


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

MFL

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 07/19/21 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

I have no problem with a marked emergency vehicle driving over the speed limit. The assumption is that they are doing so in the performance of their duties and that the excess speed is necessary. I am willing to accept that assumption.

I do take issue with off duty law enforcement officers (or off duty emergency personnel) in private vehicles speeding and not being ticketed if stopped. The "good ole boy" wave 'em on attitude is wrong.


Do you stand opposed to the 1500 private jets landing in Sun Valley bringing billionaires together to talk about climate change?[emoticon]


What does that have to do with this?


Nothing that could make any sense! But hey, he started the thread, so guess alright for him, to go whatever direction. Thread went sideways anyway, with all the cop stories!

Jerry





toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/19/21 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wing_zealot wrote:

While there may be no evidence that differential speed causes accidents, there is certainly empirical evidence that the greater the differential speed, the greater the potential for having accidents and the greater the severity of the accidents.

Hence there is a reason why there is a minimum speed limit on freeways and why you can't drive your moped on them.



Yes, there are minimum speed limits on freeways. But that minimum is "waived" all the time. Stop and go traffic, road work, icy roads, fog, stormy weather, etc.

One person driving too slow may be annoying. But as long as others are driving an appropriate speed for the conditions and are paying attention, there will be no accident. It's when all those other "people factors" come in that accidents happen. Like the driver who chooses not to slow down but instead swerve around the slow driver on a crowded freeway.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Speed limits
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.