Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Hot Skin (Exterior electrification)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV Hot Skin (Exterior electrification)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev
CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/21 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I actually had 160/80V with a 30/50 adapter one night while plugged into a 30A pedestal and I couldn't unplug fast enough. However my EMS shut down the RV power in milliseconds before the smoke escaped.

The problem was a open neutral in the 120/240V CG distribution panel. Very rare of course. Not as rare however is a 50A open neutral due to pedestal or RV wiring and one reason I've posted using a EMS especially for 50A. Mine is a PI HW 50C with an inside remote display.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/21 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some grandfathered items are still worth updating.
The electricity does not care about an exemption... it will still bite just as hard.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/21 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Some grandfathered items are still worth updating.
The electricity does not care about an exemption... it will still bite just as hard.

Some are, some are not, but in reality one could spend a lot of money on electricians, materials, carpenters, drywall folks following every rabbit hole of changes that do not add safety.

Have had this conversation multiple times with a Brother that is an Architect.. In his world everything must be demoed and replaced with new in order get up to every new standard. He can't understand why Clients tend to balk at his ideas.. All well and good if you are made of money.

Heck even "Knob and Tube" wiring is still in use and grandfathered in old, old buildings. Talk about a very dangerous and scary wiring system where switches and fuses are often on the neutral side and you have runs of potentially bare wires floating about and turning a switch off or removing a fuse leaves you with a still Hot connection.. But it still works and can be still somewhat safe as long as you don't mess with it, add on to it or cover the wires with building insulation.

[image]

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/21 10:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As you please. I would rip it all out.
After 100 years if you can't renovate this stuff it might be time to sell the house and get something updated.
I stand with your brother on this.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/21 12:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too would replace the “knob & tube” and I have replaced the first generation non metallic sheathed cable (hot & neutral) electrical wiring in my 200 year old house. It was too risky as a fire hazard. The electrician who did the work remarked that most of the wiring was still in very good condition.

However, the horse hair plaster is more durable than new wallboard, the wood framing was old growth red oak which is more durable than the open grain fir used now, and the mortise and tenon joints are longer lasting than nails or screws. Newer is not always better.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/21 01:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

As you please. I would rip it all out.
After 100 years if you can't renovate this stuff it might be time to sell the house and get something updated.
I stand with your brother on this.

Sorry you "stand with my Brother", he isn't in reality and standing with him, you have no clue. There is "book smart" and there is "street smart", I would rather stand on the "Street Smart" side of life..

Fortunately my house didn't have knob and tube when I bought it, but it did have some interesting wooden wire "race way trays" in the attic crawl space which tells me it may have had some at one time in it's life.

But obviously you have never dealt with old homes or apartments in Cities.. You don't just "tear out" stuff, it becomes a very long drawn out process of permits, inspections and in the case of "landmarks" or "historical" buildings the added restrictions of making everything go back and look like it is done accurately for the time period..

Fortunately for myself, home is outside a city which made life much easier.. As far as my homes electrical system goes, it IS fully updated, including 200A service entrance (replaced old 60A fuse box) with new breaker panel, new grounding system, all new wiring, new outlets.. Fully inspected and passed by my PoCos approved inspector (on edit, I should note: Fully up to date to code at the time of the inspectors approval). My home had no insulation and lots of warped 3/8" drywall, made decision easy to gut and replace.

I have also done rework on multiple homes with old systems along with wiring some new homes from scratch so I am no stranger to electrical work.

* This post was edited 07/27/21 01:23pm by Gdetrailer *

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/21 01:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

But obviously you have never dealt with old homes or apartments in Cities..
You may have underestimated me.

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/21 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've crossed into the realm of personal jabs and wiener measuring. I knew it was just a matter of time.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV Hot Skin (Exterior electrification)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.