Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Duramax Turbo adventure conclusion
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Duramax Turbo adventure conclusion

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/21 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I posted about a Duramax Turbo problem starting around 125,000miles setting the CEL and even going into limp mode when pulling a 16,000lb 5er. Conclusion a couple years ago was it *might* need a new turbo. It was sporatic though and seemed to ‘go away.’

I created a follow up post a month ago communicating that I spent $3500 to replace the turbo at about 150,000mi last winter expecting that that would resolve this intermittent problem; and that unfortunately I was experiencing the same problem of throwing the CEL and going into limp mode pulling 16,000 through the mountains again. Got some suggestions, but this thread was eventually closed down as some took it way off topic.

The purpose of this post is to communicate the *final* fix for this issue (hopefully [emoticon]). A shop in Tacoma WA replaced the MAP sensor at about 158,000 miles a few weeks ago. Since then I’ve driven 4K+ miles including pulling over several passes (this morning just came over 8600ft I80 pass by Cheyenne WY). Replacing the MAP sensor seems to have resolved this issue. Wish I had tried that a couple years and $3500 ago…

Ron & Pat
2013 Silverado 3500 Duramax SRW
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/21 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad it appears finally fixed.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/21 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Loading the parts cannon without proper diagnostics is always expensive.

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/21 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounded like a ECM issue or something not turbo related in your other thread, glad you got it figured out. I would advise getting a monitor like a Edge insight or similar, you can monitor just about everything under the hood as well as pull and clear codes. Really helps as you can monitor real time when the issue is happening.

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/21 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was having fuel pressure codes setting on my 09 duramax when the wife was drag racing it, I could put commanded fuel pressure and a actual and see the CP3 run out of steam, running 26000psi with 29000psi commanded on a full throttle pass. So on a turbo issue you could set up commanded vain position and boost and actual and if the turbo is doing as commanded you know it is fine.

#1Flyboy

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/21 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

…….Tyler, yes….

LowRyter

OKC

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/21 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

glad it was fixed

John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

Nv Guy

Reno NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/21 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was doing maintenance purchasing for a trucking company, we had one tractor that would randomly lose power. No codes, no cel..just a complete lack of power. After several tows, lots of checking and rechecking, an ECM replacement we finally put our technical director in the truck with a laptop so he could monitor all the various sensors. Turned out the boost sensor would randomly drop out, so the ECM would cut fuel- resulting in no power. This taught me the value of a "flight recorder" so every sensor output can be reviewed.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/21 11:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Post the name of the shop so we know who didn’t rip you off for another turbo, please.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/21 05:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad that you got if fixed. It really is appalling to me that vehicles don't come with good on-board diagnostics and meaningful error messages.

I used to work with CNC machines. One brand had excellent error messages that you could generally take to the bank as to what the problem was and that was over 30 years ago. We had another brand (German made) that generally displayed error messages that were totally irrelevant. Trouble shooting was a nightmare. Guess which brand I only bought one of. Unfortunately in vehicles it seems like they are all equally bad.

I can sympathize with your problem. I recently had a problem with my truck that only revealed itself under heavy loads. You generally don't want to take a 16,000lb trailer with you to the mechanic but then the mechanic can't re-create the problem. I had another issue where the code would appear randomly but would clear itself before I could get to a dealer. The dealers refused to work on it without seeing the code for themselves. Both situations clearly call for better on-board diagnostics and that burden shouldn't be on the customer.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Duramax Turbo adventure conclusion
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.