Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Sit rep on “new” camper after first trip.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Sit rep on “new” camper after first trip.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/21 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well our new to us 2017 camper just got it’s first real trip of its life. (PO used it for one weekend and a few sleepovers in 4 years.)
Objectively, the camper worked like a champ. AC running 12+ hrs a day for about 10 days straight. All the appliances and everything else worked great. Pounded out about 1000miles of freeway and back roads. Love the stout springs and 16” wheels!
Also love the open back of the toyhauler. Once we were in the mountains we could open up the back, I made it into a deck before we left, and use the canvas back door so it was like a big open tent.
Few minor annoyances. 1. The batteries 2 new 6v GCs don’t seem to last as long as they should. Knowing how we were conserving on DC power when dry camped, it would only make it about a day with a few hours of genny charging.
2. The usb plugs on 12V overheated and fried, charging 2 phones at the same time.
3. I greased the wheels and all the spring shackles. But the springs are noisy as he!! Not sure if it’s the shackles or the leafs but I expected it to be quiet with wet bolts ?
Overall it was far more luxurious than we were used to!
I’ll try to drop a few pics later.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/21 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forgot to mention, 100gal of water onboard is super luxurious. We spent 4 days in the mountains, 4 people, dry camping and didn’t even come close to using up all the water.
Although about half the bathing was off he back of the boat in the lake!

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/21 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Noisy springs, it could be 5h3 OEM bushings! Most are plastic. I would suggest bronze replacements an HD shackles. Should do the trick.
I also up graded the equalizer to a Dexter EZ-Flex (you could go with others like Mor-Ride) to soften the ride.
P.S. I found suspension upgrades lessens sway.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/21 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Well our new to us 2017 camper ..... Love the stout springs and 16” wheels!

I thought this was a post about a truck camper, until I saw the mention of springs and wheels. LOL
Sounds like you have a trailer.

* This post was edited 07/25/21 08:07am by deltabravo *

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/21 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

1. The batteries 2 new 6v GCs don’t seem to last as long as they should. Knowing how we were conserving on DC power when dry camped, it would only make it about a day with a few hours of genny charging

Time for an amp hour meter, which is a fuel gauge for the battery bank. Victron BMV-712 or the Victron Smart Shunt are the best there is.

I have the BMV 712

Grit dog wrote:

2. The usb plugs on 12V overheated and fried, charging 2 phones at the same time.

Since they are fried, it's obvious they need replaced, so replace them with quality parts from Marinco or Blue Sea Systems.

Here's some I added in my TT a few years ago

Here's some I added in my newer TT last year with a big faceplate I found on Amazon

Grit dog wrote:

3. I greased the wheels

I'm lost there. What does "greased the wheels" really mean? Is there a missing word in that phrase?

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/21 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What were you using for the 12 volt chargers? I use these which are hard wired into the battery bank. Link Yes they are more expensive than other USB ports out there. But they were the only non illuminated ones I could find. I tapped into an overhead light to provide power so the circuit was already fused.
A link to my post about the plugs. Link

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/21 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The battery usage isn't that surprising. Most people in our group with two 6v get a day's charge out of them before recharging with the gen. Even with solar, you'll need to run the gen a little.

Has the charger (converter) been upgraded? I doubt the previous owned upgraded it. Think about adding an inverter with a good multi stage charger. It's a great investment. Just coach up the wife and kids not to use the inverter for anything with a heavy heating element, like curling iron, toaster, or even some coffee makers.

I'm glad to see you putting some miles and nights in with the new rig. I hope your family loves it as much as you do. We've made a lot of great memories in ours.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/21 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Yes it has the OE 55a wfco converter. It works but I could see improving the charging.
For as little as we use, an inverter isn’t really needed. Especially with a push button genny if the microwave is needed.
I do need to see how far it is drawing down. Never went dead, but feels a bit off. An amp meter is a good idea to verify though.
I’ll look into better USB ports too.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/21 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WNYBob wrote:

Noisy springs, it could be 5h3 OEM bushings! Most are plastic. I would suggest bronze replacements an HD shackles. Should do the trick.
I also up graded the equalizer to a Dexter EZ-Flex (you could go with others like Mor-Ride) to soften the ride.
P.S. I found suspension upgrades lessens sway.

But this thing has greaseable bushings and fancy 2 piece spring equalizers. And now has maybe 2000mi max on the trailer.
And I greased every bushing with no weight on the wheels.
Tows perfectly.

@deltabravo. I meant greased the bearings. Not that they are the squeaking source but first thing I did since trailer was sitting on factory lube job and still well under 1000miles total.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/21 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Well our new to us 2017 camper ..... Love the stout springs and 16” wheels!

I thought this was a post about a truck camper, until I saw the mention of springs and wheels. LOL
Sounds like you have a trailer.

Ha, yeah!
Guess I call most all RVs “campers!”

Also realized I didn’t take a single good camper pic….lol.

Thanks for the USB port reccomendation. Hope the wiring is good still. Or at least pulls easily. I think its the port not wired because smelled like hot plastic not hot wires, lol.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Sit rep on “new” camper after first trip.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.