Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: To buy a generator or not...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> To buy a generator or not...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Seon

Lake Camanche, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/21 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Consider the weight on a Honda eu3000w or a Predator 3500. Are you able to lift it by yourself and where do you carry it? Those two factors had me sell my Honda 3k and bought two 2000w generators. I use a parallel cord to run both for my AC but 90% of the time one is only needed for appliances and lights. Each weighs about 50 lbs vs 100+ lbs on the Honda or Predator. I stow them inside the trailer when traveling. Just offering another side of the coin.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/21 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes Admis that is the one I purchased. I no longer have the TT but others have said small inverter generators like this one will run their single roof top AC so check with them. This little genny will power many items without loud surging noise. I power a powerful 20" floor fan on high with no surging and bright camping light, coffee maker, etc. It weighs between 30 to 40 lbs or maybe a bit more but not over 50.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/21 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not want a camper without a generator for exactly the reasons you mentioned. I have only stayed a few places where I needed to run the A/C at night, but I have had plenty of evenings when the camper was hot from sitting in the sun during the day. Without an A/C it can take hours and hours to cool off. In a few cases, it was hot but campground rules prohibited use of the generator. That is no big deal with a TC. I leave, find an isolated spot outside of the campground and run the A/C for an hour or so.

I would get rid of the propane unit. Perhaps it has some resale value. They just chew through the propane. It is easy to carry a few gallons of gas and to replenish at gas stations anywhere. Refilling propane can be an issue in remote areas.

I actually rarely use my generator, but it is a necessity for those times when it is needed for cooling or charging batteries. I even start mine up to use a hair dryer when defrosting the fridge.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/21 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everyone uses their TC differently, but many of us never need a generator for more than a few minutes at a time. That’s where the builtin shines. I already have a propane stove, fridge, furnace, and hot water heater, so it makes sense to use a propane generator for those few minutes to run a microwave, top off the battery etc.

With few exceptions, I can’t think of any time that I would be running a generator for hours. Most campgrounds don’t allow it, and besides, I’m out doing things when it is hot. If I’m forced to go out when it is really hot, I’m going to pay the few bucks extra for hookups. For the cases when I’m not at a typical campground, I just find a cooler spot. Again, no sense in camping in the sun when you don’t have to.

Finally, if I’m not moving around and don’t need mobility, I’d probably go with a much larger unit like a Class A, fifth wheel, etc.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/21 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

adamis wrote:

3. Purchase a cheaper Harbor Freight or similar generator. I know they aren't top of the line compared to Honda or Yamaha but for our infrequent needs it might be the way to go.

Get a Predator 2000. You might also consider a Micro Air Easy-Start. It lets me reliably run my 11k BTU A/C on a Honda EU2200.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/21 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

I was curious, so I looked at inciweb.

I think I would cancel that trip. There were fires all around there including in Shasta and the Dixie fire south of there that is 200K acres and only 22% contained.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/

The smoke is already there and will probably only be worse in 2 weeks.

https://www.redding.com/story/news/2021/........a-air-quality-wildfire-smoke/8072202002/

We just decided not to go up north because of these fires. Look what happened last year, how fast these fires got out of control

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/21 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have a built in generator and admittedly don’t need another generator at home.

Did I simplify it enough to move on from this conundrum?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

mountainkowboy

Socal/NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/21 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have an old Champion 3500, had it for for 15 years. With the solar I never need it, but then my 31 year old TC uses very little power, everything is mechanical in it. No logic boards to use 12v.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/21 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If with AC on noise n vibration are not an issue, then without question USE WHAT YOU HAVE.
Carry lots of propane tanks. They are going to take up about double the space of gasoline tanks, but will not spill or smell either.
Is it worth $1,000 or so to take extra propane?
You only need it 2 hours per day then that will not be a huge use of propane anyway, unlike running it all night.
Buy a propane auto switchover hose/pigtail that lets you run the onboard tank plus an aux tank from the ground so you don't run out and have to run out and swap.

Also, for future, is your propane gen able to be converted to gasoline? If that suits your needs better then consider it. It is mostly all in the carb and should not be too complex to switch.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/21 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's going to be more than "a couple hours" because not only are you cooling the air but you also have to pull enough heat out of the mass of the camper itself so it does not drive the temperature in the camper right back up again as soon as the AC is off.

Do you have an idea of how much propane the onboard generator ACTUALLY uses? I can't believe that it would suck down a 20lb tank in 3-4 hours.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> To buy a generator or not...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.