Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: To buy a generator or not...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> To buy a generator or not...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/21 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I've been able to run the roof air since 2011--just not for as long as I would like (without a generator).

Keep the existing batteries and spend the money from the savings on LiFePo4 for solar panels, a much larger capacity charge controller, and a large inverter/charger (Victron?).

You may find that with enough solar the existing batteries will get you through a day.

The problem with a dc to DC for the alternator is duty cycle. If the alternator is 130 amps (as mine is), it may be designed for a 1/3 duty cycle--in other words, only about 43 amps. That is why I chose a dc to DC that maxes out at 20 amps--because they are HUNGRY on the input side and draw 30 amps to output 20 at a higher voltage. That gives me some head room for other electrical needs. As it is--my solar panels send energy to the engine, when the sun shines.

If you want to try larger--there is a 40 amp from renology that has a jumper that can be removed to drop it back to 20 amp.

The solution is to replace the alternator with one that is continuous duty, and/or have an external diode. The continuous duty is better (and costs a lot).

My own plan is now to do a massive upgrade to the solar (1400 watts fixed flat) and see how the existing battery bank reacts. The RV has been in storage for 18 months now.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/21 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

I get the noise thing, I do. But if you're camped where it's hot at night and there are other RVs, you will not have the only genny running an AC fired up.

Plus, you're leaving in a week and a half and what are your options?
1. Buy a new 2k genny and hope that it runs the AC.
2. Buy a bigger genny for even more money and where the F do you store it (uses more gas too).
3. Fill your propane bottles and bring an extra 1 or 2 (we all seem to have a couple bottles laying around, if not ask your neighbors, you can probably procure 1 or 2 easily). Or just go get them filled if you need to. Convenient excuse for a quick road soda away from the runts..
4. Add 200AH of LiFEpo4, more solar, DC-DC charger that you'll probably need to run that rattling powerstroke to recharge if you run the AC too long and don't have your $1000s of dollars of off grid gear all setup right and the weather gets too hot????

Seriously man, fill a couple bottles, go camping, exercise your generator. That's what it's for.

Absolutely, why are you overthinking this?[emoticon]

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/21 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

I get the noise thing, I do. But if you're camped where it's hot at night and there are other RVs, you will not have the only genny running an AC fired up.

are you guys allowed to run a genny any time you want down there, up here we have spicif hours you can run them, most seem to be a few hours in the morning like 9-noon type thing then a couple in the evening like 6-8.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/21 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

are you guys allowed to run a genny any time you want down there, up here we have spicif hours you can run them, most seem to be a few hours in the morning like 9-noon type thing then a couple in the evening like 6-8.

Steve

I suppose? Idk. Last thing I’m after when camping is the rule book, wherever that might be. That said, I’m as courteous as some and more than most. Or try to be at least.
I’m sure the “rules” are different for different jurisdictions or types of parks or states or locations.
Too many folks worry about the things in life that don’t matter.
But then again, rules are made for those who lack common

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/21 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it's campground specific. I talked to them and they said it was fine to run a generator and she didn't list restrictions. I am just super conscious about noise because I can't stand other people running their generators for extended run times. We will be in the mostly tent section so it's even more important to be thoughtful of others.

If I run the generator, I'm only thinking of running it in the evening to cool down camper when babies are ready to go to sleep. The issue is the latent heat buildup in the materials of the camper, it takes a while for that heat to come out so running a generator isn't just a matter of a few minutes, it's about an hour or more.

At this time, the two week weather forecast has weather looking decent enough that we might not need to worry about the heat for 5 of the 7 days. Thankfully it is cooling down at night into the 60s and that will be a huge help. The last two nights are trending hotter but we can either head home early or run the onboard generator to get us by till the night air is cool enough to manage.

If it was a week of hot weather like I thought when I first posted I'd probably still buy a gas generator but with two nights now I don't think I can justify the cost.

* This post was edited 07/28/21 09:55am by adamis *

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/21 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

adamis wrote:

At this time, the two week weather forecast has weather looking decent enough that we might not need to worry about the heat for 5 of the 7 days.

You seem to be completely underestimating the fire danger and smoke… at least you haven’t mentioned it. That’s a much larger concern than the heat.

You and your kids are going to have to be able to breathe no matter how hot/cool it is.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/21 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think it's appropriate in any campground to run a generator all night, with the possible exception of Nascar.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/21 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

I don't think it's appropriate in any campground to run a generator all night, with the possible exception of Nascar.

I agree but would add unless everyone is running generators at some other outdoor event.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/21 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generally speaking, down here in the States it’s less restrictive, often between 0800 and 10 pm…This tends to work out fairly well because morning use is relatively brief, mostly just for coffee or hairdryers, but if I had my wishes I would strictly prohibit entirely the use of budget, noisy open frame generators….

3 tons

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/21 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

2oldman wrote:

I agree but would add unless everyone is running generators at some other outdoor event.
Which is Nascar. I would be very afraid to be sleeping around a lot of running generators, especially with no breeze.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> To buy a generator or not...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.