Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: To buy a generator or not...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> To buy a generator or not...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/21 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Good plan. Sell the Onan and pocket the savings from not buying the Honda 2200 and see where you are at.

That will really make the AC run well next week when he needs it....

It's not going to sell that quickly. There are more people looking to get rid of those clanky unreliable old Onan units than there are people looking to add/replace them. He might get rid of it if he taped a $100 bill to it and left it beside the road.

I don't care what you say, I have never seen an Onan that ran well. 5 minutes of cranking, couple of stalls, lots of sputtering and coughing before it runs right. Every one has been like that. Brand new Class C was like that. Owner took it back, dealer shrugged their shoulders and said, "I dunno, we can sell you a new one." Warranty was meaningless. Onan said take it to the dealer.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/21 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why are we discussing CG generator allowed hours?

OP, I still see your best option is do nothing. You only want to run gen for a few hours, you rarely use gen.
Propane gens will not have issues with gasoline corrupting the carb because you only run it 20 hours over ten years, s that is a huge plus for you. You will have carb issues if you get a gasoline one.

A TC is so small inside that your AC compressor might run 30 seconds then cycle off for 5-10 minutes, so re-do that calculation of how long gen will run off a tank. 30 secs vs 5 mins is a 10:1 ratio. SO over 10 hours your compressor will run 1 hours (yes, this will vary, but just deal with it until OP gives up exact numbers).

It could run 2 mins for every 5, a 5:2 ratio, do math on that so you have a range.

With just the fan on the AC running you will not be pulling many amps at all and the gen is not using a lot of propane as if under a load.

For my TC i put on a smaller 9200 roof AC unit because it would run off of a small 2200i generator. Quiet, light and easy to carry, plus the inverter gen will idle down when there is no big load.
Consider your camping altitude as the small gens might not have enough power at high elevations to run even small ACs.

Going solar? No, thats just crazy for what you describe as your situation. That would be great for doing a LOT of camping, but just for a few trips a year, use what you got! Spend money elsewhere where it has biger impact on your enjoyment.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/21 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that it will take a special person to want a used builtin generator. If it runs fine, I’d put selling it on the back burner and sell only if someone really wants it.

My Onan has been good with two exceptions. I had an electrical gremlin in the starting circuit one time in 15 years. It came out of nowhere and went away out of nowhere. I regularly start it and run full synthetic in it.

I got bad propane once with lots of additive/water. It ran awful on that. Once I drained off the additive, it worked fine again. I don’t think that’s an Onan issue. It was a propane supplier issue.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/21 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr_andyj wrote:

It doesn’t matter if he has a generator if he can’t run it.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/21 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“ Nascar. I would be very afraid to be sleeping around a lot of running generators, especially with no breeze. ”

My Honda 2200 puts out tons of CO2, this the best fertilizer ever for rain forest and sorely needed Oxygen production!! [emoticon]

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/21 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Good plan. Sell the Onan and pocket the savings from not buying the Honda 2200 and see where you are at.
That will really make the AC run well next week when he needs it....
OP has hookups for part of the trip, weather is looking cooler, or run the generator that he has or roll out early.
Why is this a big deal?

OP practically never uses the generator for multiple reasons. The sooner it is gone (after this trip) the better.

Although if really interested I think a makeshift battery pack and inverter could be brought along and used with just a week lead time. Then give a proper install upon return.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/21 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr_andyj wrote:

You mentioned running it all night.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/21 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Too bad there isn’t a down in flames emoji….this thread could use one. It’s nuked!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/21 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ Only if I'm parked next to a Dodge motorhome! (Just kidding)

I can sum it up by saying "When in Rome...." You get the rest.
But it is nice to know that all the special rule books get read by someone.
My fault for thinking that by now I know how to generally conduct myself as to not be a nuisance in public, without having to read something that effectively says "dont be a nuisance." LOL

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/21 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love this place. LOL!!!

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> To buy a generator or not...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.