Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: We've had 8 years and 68,000 trouble free miles...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> We've had 8 years and 68,000 trouble free miles...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/21 01:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

ron.dittmer wrote:

We bought our rig HERE new in 2007. It is built on a 2007 E350 chassis. The rig is garage-kept, the chassis currently driven 42,000 miles, but has lots of idling hours.

The house has been relatively trouble-free with exception to the generator of which I had to replace the fuel pump inside it, a problem that developed last year.

As for the Ford E350 chassis, it was trouble-free until our last trip out west for a month that we just returned home from. We ended up stranded on Interstate-90, the cause was a failed fuel pump control module. The Ford dealer in Gillette WY took excellent care of us with a swift affordable repair. I am now considering carrying a spare module, an easy item to replace on a roadside.

Ron, would you provide a little more detail on how to replace this (a photo or two if possible)?

I may buy a spare to carry along too, depending upon how easy it is to replace. That failing, or the fuel pump itself, is a BIG concern for me. We don't tow along another vehicle, so getting stranded along the road somewhere (or worse ...maybe out in the boonies) could be a really big deal for us.

Thanks in advance!
For Desert Captain too.

For our 2007 E350 with V10 engine, this is the old part and new part box. The E450 and other model years might be different.
[image]

The part is mounted to the inside of the frame about half way between the fuel tank and engine. Two mounting bolts and one electrical connector and it's replaced.

Other things to carry would be some 20 amp fuses and fuel pump relays. When the module went out, it blew the associated fuse and relay, both located in the fuse box under the hood. It is a common relay, the largest one used in 4 positions.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

Desert Captain

Payson

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/21 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Ron, never would have thought of carrying a spare but it sounds like a good idea with our 9 year old coach.

[emoticon]

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/21 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks from me too, Ron.

Well, I guess that repair alongside the road requires crawling underneath and reaching up to remove/install a control module. The fuse and relay appear to be much, much easier to replace.

I 2nd what D.C. said: Maybe a good idea to carry the parts along with our 2005 Class C.

Or probably even better .... have a mechanic replace them ahead of time as a preventative maintenance measure. I've even given some thought to having a new fuel pump installed as a PM measure.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Desert Captain

Payson

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/21 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I learned many things in my years at sea and the importance of carrying spares was certainly one. I found that when it comes to having spares the best way to go was to install the new "spare" and keep the old one in your spare parts locker.

This insures that when you have a failure and reach for that spare that it is going not only fit but work as intended. While in an isolated stretch of Mexico I watched as a friend proudly reached for his "spare" alternator when the original failed only to find it had the wrong bracket mount and would not fit. [emoticon]

Replacing the module with the new one and keeping the old one as a back up might end up being my plan but then my coach is about 6 years newer than Phil and Ron's. It is always preferable to make repairs at home with all of my tools vs on the road, the trick is knowing what and when to repair or replace.

A couple of years ago I noticed a small crack in the handle of the grey tank dump. I immediately went on line and ordered a complete new dump station plumbing set which I installed at home. if the grey handle had a crack I assumed the black probably would too at some point. I only had to contemplate for a moment one or both of those handles failing at a crowded dump station to know it was time to replace. Not having to scramble for parts and the requisite tools while out God knows where on the road seemed like a good "Plan A".

As always... Opinions and YMMV

[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> We've had 8 years and 68,000 trouble free miles...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.