Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: We've had 8 years and 68,000 trouble free miles...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> We've had 8 years and 68,000 trouble free miles...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
cbigham

orange , CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 10:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice ..also a 23u. We bought it to put on the Alaska ferry and fit into smaller campsites than we made into with the 40 ft diesel. I didn't want slides. We have different configurations for what we are doing with the 23u. Just me meeting the boys for some dirt bike, dual sport or other? Rack on back for bike. Gone. Dirt roads not too bad no worries. Family, tow jeep, hang bike off it. The 23u seems tough enough, bought I'm 17, has 39k on it now.

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/21 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Captain, your story was so nice when I first read it, that I marked it to come back and see what others had written.
I agree that in a forum likes this it's refreshing to see positive tales. In that vein, I submit a "remix" of your words for our tale.

Just over five years ago we bought our 2002 31' motorhome. We found it on craigslist with about 50k miles. I had looked at so many units in poor condition that we had decided to wait a couple years and buy new when we saved up the money. This unit was owned by an engineer who meticulously maintained the engine and exterior, and a teacher who kept her boys in line so the interior was equally clean. We left a deposit electronically that Saturday (because I had refused to take a check after so many negative experiences). By Tuesday afternoon we owned Da Moose.

Over the years we've gone coast to coast {from Denali to the Smokies and just about everywhere in-between} for a total of 32 states visited. Those 55,000 miles have been trouble free, never a breakdown {if you don't count a blown tire}.

What has always worked for us is the coach providing comfort and safety in virtually any environment. Add to that the convenience of a Class C that we've taken everywhere, from the French Quarter in New Orleans and downtown Chicago to Beartooth Pass, Death Valley, and Fairbanks. It lacks nothing we need and provides a base for everything that we do.

Have I had to fix/repair stuff, of course I have as "Stuff happens" but they have been few and far between.

Bottom line... it's good to hear positive stories from owners out there, and we're so grateful to share from our own positive RV experiences. Thanks for sharing, and reading this version.

* This post was last edited 08/14/21 12:26pm by PartyOf Five *   View edit history

PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the creation. 5 yrs, 50k

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

Desert Captain

Payson

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/21 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice... Thanks for sharing.

[emoticon]

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/21 05:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A thread has been around either on this forum or was it another, a Nexus bashing thread. I am happy to read Desert Captain's report. I too appreciate his refreshing report as well as the replies to it.

Our rig is smaller than his at 23'-8" long, rear corner double bed B+. Like many comments here, it's a good length for the sake of mobility and utility. It's a cottage not a mansion, just right for it's purpose.

I envy Desert Captain's accomplishments in his time frame and miles driven. We can't seem to get away as easy as it should be. I suppose it's what we put on ourselves here when at home, and all this "COVID stuff" didn't help.

Desert Captain, Thank you for sharing that.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

jnoflane2

Western US

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/21 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One week ago we purchased a 2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6237LE, also a 24 foot Class C and plan to have it for the next decade, maybe longer. Man do we love it! We plan to use it a lot, including a 26 mile drive to the closest Sam's Club for monthly grocery shopping. And if the wife wants to shop... In the Class C we will go. I'll nap in the parking lot with the genset and A/C blowing.

Like others we wanted something 24' or less for ease of driving and navigation of cities and National/State Parks.

We also have the Ford and LOVE the new 7.3L V8. If I drive it nice, we are getting between 12-14 mpg.

Right away, I invest in some better sway bars and it is a HUGE improvement in handling. We will be pulling a 14' Cargo Trailer a lot, with motorcycles, bicycles and kayaks.... so am pleased we have that big V8, to pull the high mountain passes in Colorado.

[image]

Thanks, John

2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6237LE
w/ Ford 7.3L V8

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/21 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought our rig HERE new in 2007. It is built on a 2007 E350 chassis. The rig is garage-kept, the chassis currently driven 42,000 miles, but has lots of idling hours.

The house has been relatively trouble-free with exception to the generator of which I had to replace the fuel pump inside it, a problem that developed last year.

As for the Ford E350 chassis, it was trouble-free until our last trip out west for a month that we just returned home from. We ended up stranded on Interstate-90, the cause was a failed fuel pump control module. The Ford dealer in Gillette WY took excellent care of us with a swift affordable repair. I am now considering carrying a spare module, an easy item to replace on a roadside.

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/21 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my big struggle with my 2000 24 is lack of towing capacity. i camp in state parks, pull ins are tight, no way to do some of it with a trailer. my tow limit is 3500, so pulling my van is out of the question, once i get setup in camp, i really don't want to tear down to go site seeing. Looking at an electric bike now, but we generally ended up driving my van separately which kind of sucks

the other thing i am noticing is the lack of windows in new rv's my 2000 has 5 windows on the passenger side. i also could use more outside storage, but for the most part I am happy

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/21 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought you were going to say you were calling it quits........... I have always enjoyed your imput, keep it up.

Charles

'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/21 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

We bought our rig HERE new in 2007. It is built on a 2007 E350 chassis. The rig is garage-kept, the chassis currently driven 42,000 miles, but has lots of idling hours.

The house has been relatively trouble-free with exception to the generator of which I had to replace the fuel pump inside it, a problem that developed last year.

As for the Ford E350 chassis, it was trouble-free until our last trip out west for a month that we just returned home from. We ended up stranded on Interstate-90, the cause was a failed fuel pump control module. The Ford dealer in Gillette WY took excellent care of us with a swift affordable repair. I am now considering carrying a spare module, an easy item to replace on a roadside.

Ron, would you provide a little more detail on how to replace this (a photo or two if possible)?

I may buy a spare to carry along too, depending upon how easy it is to replace. That failing, or the fuel pump itself, is a BIG concern for me. We don't tow along another vehicle, so getting stranded along the road somewhere (or worse ...maybe out in the boonies) could be a really big deal for us.

Thanks in advance!

* This post was edited 10/03/21 08:36pm by pnichols *

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Desert Captain

Payson

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

ron.dittmer wrote:

Ron, would you provide a little more detail on how to replace this (a photo or two if possible)?

I may buy a spare to carry along too, depending upon how easy it is to replace. That failing, or the fuel pump itself, is a BIG concern for me. We don't tow along another vehicle, so getting stranded along the road somewhere (or worse ...maybe out in the boonies) could be a really big deal for us.

Thanks is advance!

Ron, yep, what Phil said...
The part number/description and tools needed etc would be greatly appreciated. On my 2011 chassis E-350 the fuel pump and filter are located in the tank - where is the pump control module located? Did your engine throw a CEL code that identified the problem?

I never let my fuel level get below one quarter of a tank {the generator won't run and fuel pumps are cooled by the fuel they are immersed in and I live in Arizona}. Could running with less than a quarter of a tank contributed to this breakdown?

[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> We've had 8 years and 68,000 trouble free miles...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.