Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Dashboard Alternator light
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Dashboard Alternator light

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
eric1514

AZ ID

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/21 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all,

The MPPT controller on my coach will deliver 14.6 volts in bulk mode which is fine. In fact it’s exactly what the specs on my GC2 house batteries call for. But when I turn on the engine and the system connects the coach and starter batteries together, the dashboard alternator light will illuminate, presumably because Ford thinks 14.6v is to high.

Couple of questions. Do I care? As far as I know, 14.6v is not excessive and the condition should only last a couple of hours until the charger drops to absorbtion mode and a lower voltage. Or, is there an easy way to reprogram the light or turn it off completely? I’m monitoring all the batteries while I travel with an app constantly running on an old cell phone so I know what’s going on without an idiot light. I can change the profile of the charger to a different battery type and lower the voltage to 14.2v but I don’t wanna if I don’t have to.

TIA,
Eric

2006 Isata Touring Sedan 250

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have experienced the same issue as you. I just turn off the solar when traveling and let the alternator do it's job.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oops
Richard

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is not the voltage as such, but something is wrong. First try it with no solar connected to the house batts.

Is the controller chassis grounded to the RV frame? If so disconnect that. Perhaps there is a polarity problem with how it is all wired and that is what the dash light is not liking. ( WAG) . Anyway the solar and alternator charging should play well together. Something is wrong with your wiring of the solar and the isolator outputs most likely. IMO suspect the solar installation, as the RV will be ok if as built.

IMO don't drive around much like that until it is fixed.

One thing to expect is that on the house batts if solar gives you 10 amps at 14.6 and alternator gives you 10 amps at 13.8 doing it one at a time, you will not get 20 amps with both on. You might get more like 10 from the solar and 5 from the alternator with its lower voltage. but that is not the issue here.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

eric1514

AZ ID

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/21 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all,

If I turn off the panels, the problem goes away.

The panels/controller work great when the engine is off.

The controller is mounted to a piece of plywood so not grounded and the feeds from the controller go to separate buss bars, positive and negative. The positive buss has a cable that connects to the positive battery bank post and the negative buss has a cable that connects to a shunt and the shunt then connects to the batteries.

When this happened, I just shut off the panels. My schedule hasn’t allowed me to experiment but I have a feeling that if I change the battery profile to something like GEL, the max voltage output will be 14.2. This is not my first solar install and I don’t think it’s messed up. I think it’s either a problem with the isolator or the light is showing me over voltage.

I agree. They should play nicer together. I know I’ll have to run more tests.

eric1514

AZ ID

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/21 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLS7201 wrote:

I have experienced the same issue as you. I just turn off the solar when traveling and let the alternator do it's job.

Richard

Thanks

This works, but I put the solar up to help the alternator. I have a large battery bank and it takes a hell of a lot of driving to replace 150 or so Ahs with just the alternator.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am guessing some mix-up in the way it is all connected where somehow the solar is opening a breaker or switch

AFAIK the dash light does not indicate over-voltage, but indicates no charging is happening at the engine battery. With the light on, you could check the engine battery's voltage, turning the headlights on.

Do you also have a dash switch for using the house batts to start the engine? My class C does not, only has the isolator with ignition run to it. Some have a three switch affair for that, where the run circuit to the isolator gets there a different way. Don't know if that could be in backwards.

Maybe something is on a buss that shouldn't be with the others on it.

* This post was edited 07/31/21 01:55pm by BFL13 *

eric1514

AZ ID

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/21 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a boost switch, but I’m not sure it’s wired correctly. I’m not the original owner. I have noticed when I push the boost button, the relay doesn’t click.

That’s a good clue, thanks. I think I’ll disconnect the switch entirely and see what happens, but it may be a while until I get the chance.

Are you 100% sure the light does not indicate an overcharge? That was my first guess.

Thanks,
Eric

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eric1514 wrote:

... presumably because Ford thinks 14.6v is to high.

Couple of questions. Do I care? As far as I know, 14.6v is not excessive and the condition should only last a couple of hours until the charger drops to absorbtion mode and a lower voltage.

Actually the PCM controls the voltage and yes, 14.6V is too high.

First, confirm the voltage at the vehicle battery with the trailer and solar. Now disconnect the trailer. I'll bet it is about 13.2V.

High voltage will shorten the vehicle battery life.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not 100% sure, but 14.6 is not over-voltage. It will be about that at first and then taper once you get going and it all warms up, riding around 14 or a bit under that. IMO with that light on with the solar on, check the engine batt's voltage with your multimeter to see if it is getting any charging at all.

If not, then you can't drive very far like that.

Drew E on here would know about all to do with booster switches and run circuits etc. Others too.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Dashboard Alternator light
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.