Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Why do I keep blowing out tires on my truck?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Why do I keep blowing out tires on my truck?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/21 06:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most tires these days are directional. Front to rear is the only rotation.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 09:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

And yes changing the direction of rotation of a tire after thousands of miles can and does make a difference!

That you are correct sir. It DOES make a difference, for the good though, by correcting the tread feathering rather than allowing it to continue, if direction of rotation is changed by swapping L to R on the same axle. (Speaking for rwd/4wd vehicles, never had a fwd car long enough to care aboot the tires_
X rotation also changes rotation, but does not correct tread feathering.
If one watches how a tire wears in a specific position on a vehicle, there is almost always an option (not always the same option) to optimize the life of all 4 tires.
General exceptions being tires worn quicker or unevenly due to vehicle issues (alignment, etc), or lack of rotations causing a pair to wear further than the other , or burnouts! lol

But the notion that changing rotational direction on a tire that is not a directional tire is somehow harming the tire inherently is absolutely false.
FWIW, even directional tires will not be damaged running "backwards", they just won't perform quite as well.

But I am not the authority on tires....nor are you, or you'd understand this.

PS, you should tell capriracer he's FOS too, but I believe he actually is "the guy."

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Wishin

Grand Rapids, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/21 10:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 things come to mind after reading all the above.

1. Heat from the exhaust. Is something wrong with your exhaust or engine that is causing your exhaust to put more heat into that tire than it normally would? I'm guessing the exhaust travels past that tire like it does on most trucks.

2. Over loaded, not likely based on your truck and trailer, but perhaps it might be a good idea to be sure.

3. Sitting in the sun. I think you said that tire sees more sun than the other ones? Perhaps keep it covered. It is pretty hot where you live in Phoenix. I'm from Michigan where tires don't usually see much heat damage, but I worked with a guy that lived there for a couple of years and he said tires just don't last much longer than 3 years down there from his experience and from the tire guy he went to.

What kind of tire life do most people in south Arizona get in years?

2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another thought...

Front tires don't get nail induced flats as often as rear tires, because the front tire will kick up the nail that has been laying on its side.

Then the nail dances upright for the rear tire to hit it. 50/50 whether nail head or pointed end.

Right side says the OP, so that means road shoulder more often than the left side and dependent where/how the OP drives

Then if the OP has had that rear, passenger side tire repaired in the wrong area of the tire...it will have it low on air often and why asked the OP if the right rear was low more often than the others.

Running too low PSI damage is cumulative and if the OP drives on the fast side of speed limits, accelerates the heating to separate the tread.

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

Considering we're on a RV forum and the topic is about trucks and RVs, I cannot think of a single truck/RV tire that is directional....
I'm sure one of the rvnetters will come up with an example and claim I'm wrong, because likely one exists, but I'd like to see "most" of the directional truck tires you're talking about.

Even car tires are less than 50%? I'd say directional. There are even plenty of performance tires that aren't directional. Have 2 performance cars now both with low pro Z rated tires. Neither are directional.

BTW, "directional" tires are really of no practical advantage except in ultra high performance applications.

Wishin

Grand Rapids, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/21 02:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

pitch wrote:

Considering we're on a RV forum and the topic is about trucks and RVs, I cannot think of a single truck/RV tire that is directional....
I'm sure one of the rvnetters will come up with an example and claim I'm wrong, because likely one exists, but I'd like to see "most" of the directional truck tires you're talking about.

Even car tires are less than 50%? I'd say directional. There are even plenty of performance tires that aren't directional. Have 2 performance cars now both with low pro Z rated tires. Neither are directional.

BTW, "directional" tires are really of no practical advantage except in ultra high performance applications.

Agreed, directional tires make up a pretty small % of the market unless you're shopping for winter tires. All my winter tires for all 4 of my vehicles are directional (including my Suburban).

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 02:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Devo the dog wrote:

BTW, now that you pointed out that my post is useless and you're surprised that I didn't attribute the problem because it's a Chrysler product, you can never again call yourself unbiased and level headed.

Huh??

1 word. Meds.

You need some.

Devo the dog

Moved out of crazy California

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 04:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

joshuajim wrote:

Possible that the RR brake Is “hanging” and causing excessive heat in the tire.

If so the pads would be gone and backing plates would be gouging the rotors.

Leave it up to 12V to only think of extremes: The calipers are either floating on the rotors or gouging the rotors, and nothing else. LOL. Typical knuckledragger.

If the caliper is not releasing the pad completely and it's always riding the rotor, it'll generate heat and wear a little more than the rest. That's possible and it hasn't been ruled out, except by 12V and Gritdog.

I think JRscooby is on to something: Right turns and rubbing curbs is also a possibility.

BTW, how much over inflated will a tire need to be to do damage? In this case, it's unknown. It's still unknown if the tire pressure gage is accurate, so it's difficult to answer. There are too many variables. The only consistant items are three blowouts on the same tire at approximately the same mileage, and gritdog and 12V thinking they know everything.

The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui (La fiat wee-wee), I understand why.
The only thing more incompetent than Ram is Bye-don and his supporters.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Devo the dog wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

joshuajim wrote:

Possible that the RR brake Is “hanging” and causing excessive heat in the tire.

If so the pads would be gone and backing plates would be gouging the rotors.

Leave it up to 12V to only think of extremes: The calipers are either floating on the rotors or gouging the rotors, and nothing else. LOL. Typical knuckledragger.

If the caliper is not releasing the pad completely and it's always riding the rotor, it'll generate heat and wear a little more than the rest. That's possible and it hasn't been ruled out, except by 12V and Gritdog.

I think JRscooby is on to something: Right turns and rubbing curbs is also a possibility.

BTW, how much over inflated will a tire need to be to do damage? In this case, it's unknown. It's still unknown if the tire pressure gage is accurate, so it's difficult to answer. There are too many variables. The only consistant items are three blowouts on the same tire at approximately the same mileage, and gritdog and 12V thinking they know everything.

With all due respect, OP never said if he did or didn't rotate his tires. 3 sets of tires over 9-12 years and 75-90k miles (I think he said 25-30k on each set before blowout), with even marginal tire rotation practices would have made it very unlikely that the same tire was in that position it's entire life.
Although the "can't change rotation" knuckledraggers could argue that that tire should have only gone front to back on the same side and that's a very likely sequence with typical tire wear.
But at the same time, the right rear, if any, tends to wear quicker than the other tires unless you drive like a complete vegetable, which would have that tire off the RR and somewhere else in a proper rotation.

And 75-90k miles of brakes hanging up even marginally, WOULD toast those brake pads long before the third or maybe even the second tire was in play. But let's say for your sake that it was hanging up just a teensy weensy bit. Then it wouldn't have made much heat.

But to grasp at all the straws, his gauge (because I'm sure it was the same one for 10 year...lol) must have been waaaay off to blow the guts out of the tire. But he must only uses THAT gauge on THAT tire and uses other gauges on other tires so he only blew one tire to kingdom come 3 times over and not the other three......

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 06:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the time of three tires a set of pads WILL be shot and steel to steel if dragging. That is simply the truth.

* This post was edited 08/02/21 10:11pm by Cummins12V98 *

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Why do I keep blowing out tires on my truck?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.