Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Question about lowering unhitched 2 wheel travel trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Question about lowering unhitched 2 wheel travel trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
OregonMan

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi I have a 20 foot 2 wheel 2018 wolf pup travel trailer from Forest River. It has a manual crank to unhitch and I use a cinder block underneath the metal hitch bar to give clearance for the truck to get out. This is probably a dumb question, but is it safe to lower the travel trailer once unhitched? My main concern is: is there a bunch of weight being supported by the hitch bar being propped up on the cinder block for the truck clearance? Will lowering it cause damage? My trailer is currently at a slight angle downward and would like to correct if safe to do so. Thanks for any feedback.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really would not use a cinder block... I like solid blocks of wood.

I use a couple of 4x8 blocks that are only around 18" long and stack them.

I can break a cinder block with a small hammer... Or just dropping it..

The cinder block is heavier than my chunks of scrape wood, so there you go.. [emoticon]

Good luck!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/21 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

999 times out of a thousand cinder blocks are fine. Do you feel lucky?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150 wrote:

I really would not use a cinder block... I like solid blocks of wood.

I use a couple of 4x8 blocks that are only around 18" long and stack them.

I can break a cinder block with a small hammer... Or just dropping it..

The cinder block is heavier than my chunks of scrape wood, so there you go.. [emoticon]

Good luck!

Mitch

Thank you!

OP to address your question; Most, if not all people that sleep in trailers adjust the height of tongue after unhook to level front to back. The only issue is with trailer chocked tight long travel on a short trailer it can stress where the jack mounts to tongue, or try to bend jack. This stress is eliminated by a wheel on the bottom of jack.
Now sometimes the jack does not have enough travel. Prop the tongue on blocks, then adjust block under jack

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/21 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I second what Mitch said. I would never use a cinder block to support anything like a car or trailer. I had a shop teacher back n the 70's that would jack up his own car and place a cinder block under the frame. After lowering the jack, he would tap the block with a light hammer. The cinder block would shatter and the car dropped to the ground. I never forgot that.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree on the cinder block thing, but really don’t understand the question.
Based on what I think your asking, yes use the jack to raise or lower the front to level out the trailer.
Although you may be asking something else because what I said above just seems to obvious to bea question.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/21 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They sell jack stands for the tounge also. But as allready said, a block of wood is a much better idea. And lift or lower away!

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes on the wood blocks I have sometimes used for many years with heavier trailer but then switched over to the orange RV blocks designed for that purpose. They are safer to me inexpensive to me.

* This post was edited 08/01/21 10:52am by NamMedevac 70 *

OregonMan

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 02:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for the feedback. I actually switched to using a cinder block because the blocks of wood I was using cracked. What do you guys think about using leveling blocks? This cinder block is solid, I did the throw test a few times before taking it. Either way, I feel kinda dumb for keeping the trailer propped up while using it now. The slight downward angle isn't that bad but more concerned now about doing damage to the tongue of the jack since it's on the side that I sleep on. Gonna make sure to lift my stabilizer jacks first then tomorrow will lower the trailer and hopefully enjoy a more level existence. Thanks guys.

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/21 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does the jack have a pad on the tube or is it just the round tube? If it is just the round tube then the small footprint of the tube puts a lot of stress on a very small portion of the plastic pads. No problem using leveling pads if it has a foot on the jack tube.

As far as leveling the trailer front to back there is absolutely no concerns about damage. They are engineered with a tongue weight sufficient to support the trailer. Be certain to always use your stabilizer jacks on the front and back so it doesn't tip being a single axle. Too much weight behind the axle can make the front lift off the ground. Always use chocks too.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Question about lowering unhitched 2 wheel travel trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.