Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Lifestyle: Has anyone noticed
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Has anyone noticed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Must be a left coast thing having just completed 6 weeks in CO, WY, UT, and the N Rim… less busy than last summer and as usual, I’m the only big rig in the CG dry camping on the dirt.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Dtank

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

Must be a left coast thing having just completed 6 weeks in CO, WY, UT, and the N Rim… less busy than last summer and as usual, I’m the only big rig in the CG dry camping on the dirt.

The Left Coast:
Note the OP says he was at the Central Oregon COAST, then down 101
to a "no frills" park on the COAST.

The Oregon COAST is great in the summer! Whole different environment in the winter. ("Horizontal" rain due to wind, & "normal" rain also).

*If* you're in CA - anywhere *not* close to the COAST - it's HOT !!.[emoticon]
Some inland locales are both hot due to the temperature AND due
to fires.

Also in CA - "pre-pandemic" - reservations at State campground along the COAST have always been sold out the day after you can make reservations (6 mo in advance). Better make reservations well in advance for private campgrounds along the COAST as well.

Sooooo if you don't have reservations, you take what you can get...if you can "get"...anything! - no matter what type of RV. Nothing new! [emoticon]

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am wondering where these $100k new rigs are. My old 1998 Monaco cost $234,000+ new and I have put all the miles on it but kept inside and washed and waxed as it is I am probably one of those fancy rigs being referred to here. LOL

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

So basically you’ve just noticed the surge in RV purchases?
But in the form of pushers and big trailers? Fwiw there’s more new “other” RVs out there too.

This is not new news. 2020 just called and they want their story back.

Bad part is a lot of these new RVers are “working from home” folks, whom are putting a strain on the productivity of many jobs. Another issue that is costing companies money by folks taking advantage of a situation or allowance.

I know this is a tangent, but on our (1) trip this year, I saw more than a couple working age folks sitting at their picnic tables on their laptops for extended periods during weekdays.
Longer than just “checking email” and less than working all day.
Based on the performance of the remaining “work at home” slugs in our company, and firms that I work with daily, these folks are milking the company dime.
This trend is disturbing and quite frankly makes my job harder, when numerous people who’s performance I rely on as a manager can basically work reduced hours and it’s not enforceable.
In the company I work for, we have idk, about 3500 staff of salaried positions. About half of which aren’t field supervision positions (construction). Officially we are now at “50% return to work” capacity. A self imposed limit by our self imposed “pandemic response group”. 50%?? I’ve seen a few of these same people who must “work from home” due to the pandemic, out hopping around on weekends with the masses.
One of the “work from Homers” as we call them, I saw at the Sounders soccer game yesterday with his son…. In the office, he limits his time there, you know, because of the 50% rule, but on a Saturday he’s cool with going to an event with 20,000 random people and no mask!

But it’s good for the RV industry eh!

Not sure if you are disgruntled or this is just nonsensical drivel. I've been working remote for 6 years now and I work more hours and longer than when I did at the office. Not sure how this puts a "strain on the productivity of other jobs". Frankly it's efficient and keeps costs like office space, electricity infrastructure etc, down.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

But in the form of pushers and big trailers? Fwiw there’s more new “other” RVs out there too.

Bad part is a lot of these new RVers are “working from home” folks, whom are putting a strain on the productivity of many jobs. Another issue that is costing companies money by folks taking advantage of a situation or allowance.

I know this is a tangent, but on our (1) trip this year, I saw more than a couple working age folks sitting at their picnic tables on their laptops for extended periods during weekdays.
Based on the performance of the remaining “work at home” slugs in our company, and firms that I work with daily, these folks are milking the company dime.
This trend is disturbing and quite frankly makes my job harder, when numerous people who’s performance I rely on as a manager can basically work reduced hours and it’s not enforceable.
In the company I work for, we have idk, about 3500 staff of salaried positions. About half of which aren’t field supervision positions (construction). Officially we are now at “50% return to work” capacity. A self imposed limit by our self imposed “pandemic response group”. 50%?? I’ve seen a few of these same people who must “work from home” due to the pandemic, out hopping around on weekends with the masses.
One of the “work from Homers” as we call them, I saw at the Sounders soccer game yesterday with his son…. In the office, he limits his time there, you know, because of the 50% rule, but on a Saturday he’s cool with going to an event with 20,000 random people and no mask!

Not sure if you are disgruntled or this is just nonsensical drivel. I've been working remote for 6 years now and I work more hours and longer than when I did at the office. Not sure how this puts a "strain on the productivity of other jobs". Frankly it's efficient and keeps costs like office space, electricity infrastructure etc, down.
My vote is for nonsensical drivel. I work for a multi-billion dollar transportation company that was forced to give up their paradigms regarding work from home. To their astonishment, productivity climbed 35% in the first quarter of last year and is still climbing. Profits are setting records, and I'm getting nice bonuses and a substantial increase this year. One colleague bought a huge class C and went out on the road - this guy is a team lead so I guess some people have what it takes to lead in this type of situation, while others do not. Personally, I have gained so much by not having to interact with others bothering me that I'm able to help other teams. We have been able to hire talent in parts of the country that would have previously been unavailable if their presence was required at the office. There is a certain software package by Microsoft that enables us to collaborate and contact anyone - just like walking up to their desk. Some people will return to the office at some point - and will be required to be vaccinated, but after being asked, I opted to stay at home.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/21 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why is it assumed that everyone in a big rig is living above their means? In my personal experiences, both owning big rigs and owning an RV park I have found the opposite to be the case. Not everyone is teetering on bankruptcy.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/21 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Yeah, we've been doing remote work since 2007. We are more available than when we were working out of an office.

This last year, a lot of companies saw big earnings gains as a lot of office related costs melted away. In the long term, companies are looking to cut way back on office space and the expenses that come with it.

If people aren't doing their jobs, it will come out fairly quickly.

Sounds like someone has a job where they are required on site and if disgruntled over those who are not required on site.

As far as high end diesel pushers...did a 7 month loop from Michigan to California to Florida and back over the winter. Didn't see anything unusual in terms of the type of RV.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/21 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wapiticountry wrote:

Why is it assumed that everyone in a big rig is living above their means? In my personal experiences, both owning big rigs and owning an RV park I have found the opposite to be the case. Not everyone is teetering on bankruptcy.

Certainly not all but a great many put on a good show while living paycheck to paycheck. This isn't specific to RVs but many upper middle class folks.

They may be making the payments...now... but very few have the liquid cash to be buying $500-750k toys. If they lose their jobs or hit another financial issue, many will be having the MH repossessed in a short time.

Taking on that burden at a time of economic instability, is very risky for these folks.

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder if they are making them to easy to finance, I know of one case where a party bought a 250K MH. I am aware of their financial situation, and it just seems crazy to me they could get a loan to buy that rig.

But what do I know?

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Or like me we paid cash when we were younger with a ton of extra cash and not worried about life down the road. I am down the road now and although I am far from broke it takes a lot of my income just to pay taxes, insurance, and upkeep on things I paid cash for long ago. Sure could not afford to buy the same level of things like a home, RV, etc, on my income today. Sorry you have to park by my old DP but its mine

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Has anyone noticed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.