Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: uneven tire wear
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > uneven tire wear

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
rvshrinker

Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Senior Member

Joined: 07/30/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/01/21 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2017 Outdoors RV with about 12,500 miles on it.

Last summer I saw the left rear tire was prematurely wearing. The other 3 tires look great.

This summer after a 2500 mile trip, the tire is really worn. It needs to be replaced. The other 3 tires look great.

The wear is even, in the center/broad middle of the tire.

These are Goodyear E rated trailer tires, not some cheap off brand tire.

From reading on line the causes of unequal tire wear include:

1. bad axle/spindle -
2. over/underinflation - I fill to exactly 80 psi before every trip and the tires hold their pressure well
3. uneven loading - this trailer has the pantry above that area. Food is food, doesn’t weigh 500 pounds or anything. Opposite side is the refrigerator which wouldn’t seem substantially lighter
4. just a bad tire

Other thoughts?

I need to replace the tire and plan to use the spare to do it, which should have at least a couple more years of life on it based on age. Then I’ll replace all 5 tires.

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

Senior Member

Joined: 08/12/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/01/21 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bent axle can. At four, almost five years old, replace them all. How they look is not the best way to determine tire replacement. Time is.


Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad


HappyKayakers

Somewhere in the USA

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2005

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 08/01/21 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wear in the middle of the tire normally indicates overinflation. You said you air up all tires to 80 psi. The load that tire is carrying may just be too light for 80 psi. There are some places that do individual wheel weights, instead of by axle. You might want to check it out to see if you need to adjust tire pressures.


Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch
Campground Tees

Roger10378

Goodrich, MI.

Senior Member

Joined: 05/29/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/01/21 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It could be a bent axle. If it is bent so that there is a lot of toe it can wear evenly across the tire. Put a strait edge on the tire and see if it is parallel with the one in front of it.


2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

rvshrinker

Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Senior Member

Joined: 07/30/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/02/21 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roger10378 wrote:

It could be a bent axle. If it is bent so that there is a lot of toe it can wear evenly across the tire. Put a strait edge on the tire and see if it is parallel with the one in front of it.


Can you explain what you mean? see if the second tire is askance from the first?

rvshrinker

Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Senior Member

Joined: 07/30/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/02/21 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HappyKayakers wrote:

Wear in the middle of the tire normally indicates overinflation. You said you air up all tires to 80 psi. The load that tire is carrying may just be too light for 80 psi. There are some places that do individual wheel weights, instead of by axle. You might want to check it out to see if you need to adjust tire pressures.


I wondered about overinflation, but it is the only 1 of 4 tires with this problem and there’s really not that much variability in the weight. Also everything I read said blowout resistance was best at 80 (max) psi for trailer tires, nothing said anything about reducing inflation for reduced loads.

HappyKayakers

Somewhere in the USA

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2005

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 08/02/21 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rvshrinker wrote:

HappyKayakers wrote:

Wear in the middle of the tire normally indicates overinflation. You said you air up all tires to 80 psi. The load that tire is carrying may just be too light for 80 psi. There are some places that do individual wheel weights, instead of by axle. You might want to check it out to see if you need to adjust tire pressures.


I wondered about overinflation, but it is the only 1 of 4 tires with this problem and there’s really not that much variability in the weight. Also everything I read said blowout resistance was best at 80 (max) psi for trailer tires, nothing said anything about reducing inflation for reduced loads.


Someplace that weighs each wheel individually will tell you exactly instead of guessing. At the very least, it would prove or disprove conclusively one possible problem. Here's a link to the Goodyear load/inflation chart. Please note this chart is for towable RVs, as in ST tires. https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

Senior Member

Joined: 04/05/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/02/21 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a new tandem axel trailer and after pulling it many miles discovered that the u-bolts on one end of one axel were very loose, which caused bad tire wear.

Roger10378

Goodrich, MI.

Senior Member

Joined: 05/29/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/02/21 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rvshrinker wrote:

Roger10378 wrote:

It could be a bent axle. If it is bent so that there is a lot of toe it can wear evenly across the tire. Put a strait edge on the tire and see if it is parallel with the one in front of it.


Can you explain what you mean? see if the second tire is askance from the first?


It is hard to explain with just words but I haven't figured out how to add a drawing so I will give it a try. If you look at the tires on an axle from above and they are closer together at the front than the rear that is toe in. If they are closer at the rear that is toe out. In most situations there is a very little toe in. If there is too much toe the tire is dragging down the road which will wear it out sooner than it should. By placing a strait edge along each tire it will show if there is a large difference in toe. If that is the case you need to take it to a trailer service center where they can correct the problem.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/02/21 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HappyKayakers wrote:

rvshrinker wrote:

HappyKayakers wrote:

Wear in the middle of the tire normally indicates overinflation. You said you air up all tires to 80 psi. The load that tire is carrying may just be too light for 80 psi. There are some places that do individual wheel weights, instead of by axle. You might want to check it out to see if you need to adjust tire pressures.


I wondered about overinflation, but it is the only 1 of 4 tires with this problem and there’s really not that much variability in the weight. Also everything I read said blowout resistance was best at 80 (max) psi for trailer tires, nothing said anything about reducing inflation for reduced loads.


Someplace that weighs each wheel individually will tell you exactly instead of guessing. At the very least, it would prove or disprove conclusively one possible problem. Here's a link to the Goodyear load/inflation chart. Please note this chart is for towable RVs, as in ST tires. https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf


That’s a new one on me.
Barring some really unusual situation, like the equalizer being hung up on a leaf spring tandem axle, or a torsion axle tandem trailer that is significantly nose up or down, how would one get a significantly different load on one tire compared to the one just ahead or behind it.


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > uneven tire wear
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.