Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: On street parking problems Portland
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> On street parking problems Portland

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

The problem is the majority of homeless are either mentally ill and/or drug addicts.

Define homeless? Full timers are technically and legally homeless. I don't consider myself as mentally ill or a drug addict, and I don't have a permanent B&M homestead I call home.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis,

I don't condone illegal overnight parking. I'm appalled at how both Canada and USA treat the homeless, and the near homeless.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

The problem is the majority of homeless are either mentally ill and/or drug addicts.

Some of the folks at RVnet might well consider me mentally ill. But, so far, so good!

All joking aside the elders in both Canada and USA are often falling through the cracks.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Isn't Oregon where that bunch of criminals took over a few city blocks awhile back and the police, government, has done nothing?

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every community has property not being used. Usually in an industrial area of town. They could set up a no/low cost parking area for these people. Limit the stay to 3-6 months in 2 year period. Provide public services as indicated. Counseling, training, basic health care. Set up a HOA committee to encourage adherence to the rules. Provide water and sewer or bath houses and toilets maintained by the residents in lieu of rent. Trouble makers and drug users subject to immediate eviction. Ban living in a RV on the street. Ban living on the street.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reno, Nevada has recently done this at one of many old ballparks. This one on East fourth street in semi industrial, storage warehouse area. Very large with huge modern white Tent Dome AC structure like the Army uses at Fort Hood and elsewhere. On site social and medical services with large outdoor area with camping tents for those insisting on living in camp tents but next to the larger Dome. Houses many hundreds of people maybe up to 1000. Can see this on Google Satellite view. There also NSO services and shelters such as Salvation Army, etc. City bus stops on the street right in front of the Shelter.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

The reno shelter is apparently sized for 450 folks. A good start. The print article says 900--but the video says 450.

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2021/05/1........-new-shelter-set-open-may-17/5026158001/

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/21 11:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Isn't Oregon where that bunch of criminals took over a few city blocks awhile back and the police, government, has done nothing?

That was in Seattle CHOP, they tried it in Portland, but right outside the mayor’s condo, so it was squashed quickly.

Those that are street park their RVs would be better acceptable if they were clean and didn’t have a ton of trash around their RV.
Lawmakers have for years passed laws and rules that have enabled drug abuse. Then last election a law was passed that decriminalized the use and possession of small quantities of illegal drugs! I will never understand the logic of that!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/21 11:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not just a Portland issue. The homeless RV is up and down the entire west coast. Soon to be nationwide if your area is not yet impacted. Fair weather does attract more as it makes living this life easier. I mostly feel bad for the kids growing up in this difficult situation.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/21 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Define homeless? Full timers are technically and legally homeless. I don't consider myself as mentally ill or a drug addict, and I don't have a permanent B&M homestead I call home.

I actually had to get that status cleared with a judge this spring to get out of jury duty. Our mail goes to my sister's house but we weren't anywhere close.

But not relevant to the current discussion. There is a huge difference between someone who chooses to live a nomadic lifestyle and someone who simply doesn't have the resources and mental capabilities to get and keep a home.

Among the homeless, mental illness and addiction are rampant.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> On street parking problems Portland
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.