Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Downside to lower CO alarm?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Downside to lower CO alarm?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some brands of propane detectors will go into alarm mode when they get enough use/age on them. I think it’s better to be proactive to replace them or bring a way to disconnect them temporarily. Most are pretty loud when they are going off.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/21 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As stated co mixes readily with air. No problems placing them in lower spots. Just not at the floor line. That is dead space and its hard to pick up any real readings there. Same with any corner really. In the better plug in ac type co detecters people plug them in where they have outlets, thats usally lower to the floor. Dont worry about it. This is a profesional opinion, I do this for a living. A group of campers recently died from co poisoning at a concert. It was from a generator,I'm not sure if it was theres or a neighbors. A proper detector will keep you safe. There cheap insurance, use them.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

silverbullet555

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went ahead and ordered the single unit to just replace what I have. My CO unit will get mounted to the wall in a central place.

1995 Northland Grizzly 860. 2355 lbs of purple goodness! Sold
2005 Lance 845 - Baby Bertha
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic CC SB 4WD
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch
Hellwig swaybar and 3500lb helper springs
2002 Cobalt 226 "Baby Blue"

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

CO poisoning is still not well explained to general public, but available knowledge is that it mix with most of the air, that is why sensor is recommended in mid-level.
I still think that it doesn't matter that much.
I am against combining the alarms as propane sensors work for long years (I tested 20 yo still working) when CO sensor has 10 years efficient life and should be replaced.
So if you keep the camper long, you will have dilemma in few years.
I also like the idea about 10 years batteries no matter what.
CO poisoning is "by absorption" what is another hard to figure out feature.
In my old house I had fireplace, that I was using heavy. At the time I had CO detector who would display value of 500, what is consider deadly, but for short time it lasted the detector did not start alarm.
Lastly I camped for almost 20 years before CO detectors become available and am still alive.
Just don't use range oven for comfort heating and make sure your furnace is in good condition.
Lot of owners use furnace heavily in cold climates, while never cleaning the burner.
For generator use, you suppose to have exhaust gas alarm, but those are still hard to get.

I have no clue what you mean by CO poisoning is "by absorption". It's inhaled, and as it accumulates in your blood it binds more readily to the hemoglobin than oxygen, so your cells slowly starve of oxygen. The phenomenon you describe with your CO detector sounds about right, a fairly high level of CO for a short time might not cause an alarm where a lower level for a long time might. I've never heard of an exhaust gas alarm specifically for generator use, and CO is the gas in generator exhaust that is most dangerous.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/21 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put in the combo Propane CO detector. It sits near the floor in the kitchen. Separate CO detector in the bedroom. Belt and suspenders.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

I have no clue what you mean by CO poisoning is "by absorption". .

It means your body has to absorb certain amount of it to become poison.
Like for example 500 units for 1 minute will not kill you.
300 units for 10 minutes will not kill you, but
100 units for 1hr might kill you.
I know the phenomena from scuba diving, where human body absorbs lot of air under high pressure and you need to do decompression coming up or you blood will "boil".
Years ago I bought car-designated alarm who had 3 or 4 sensors, including exhaust gas sensor.
I actually "tested" it when in ClassA I removed dog house to check working engine and it did sound the alarm.
For some reason they vanish from the market.

Highway Runner

Atlanta, Ga.

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/21 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be careful about re-engineering what an Engineer has engineered.

2015 Eagle Cap 1165
2016 F-350 Lariat 4x4, 6.2 Boss Dually, 4.30 Axle
Air Lifter 7500 XL w Rancho 9000s & Torklift Stable Loads

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/21 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

rjstractor wrote:

I have no clue what you mean by CO poisoning is "by absorption". .

It means your body has to absorb certain amount of it to become poison.
Like for example 500 units for 1 minute will not kill you.
300 units for 10 minutes will not kill you, but
100 units for 1hr might kill you.
I know the phenomena from scuba diving, where human body absorbs lot of air under high pressure and you need to do decompression coming up or you blood will "boil".
Years ago I bought car-designated alarm who had 3 or 4 sensors, including exhaust gas sensor.
I actually "tested" it when in ClassA I removed dog house to check working engine and it did sound the alarm.
For some reason they vanish from the market.

Yes, it's a time weighted average, which is why the detectors are calibrated that way. Decompression sickness is completely different than CO poisoning, but the time versus exposure theory still applies.

cyrus799

US

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/21 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The service life of a propane detector will depend on how the manufacturer made it. Some of the older gas leak detectors have an average of five years’ service lifespan, and the countdown starts right at the manufacturing date. Many brands of detectors also have a service life of about six to eight years, and you begin the countdown the very first time that you power it on.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/21 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I "tested" last year the 20 yo propane detector in my camper still worked.
I added USB powered new unit anyway.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Downside to lower CO alarm?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.