Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Best Quality Travel Trailers
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Best Quality Travel Trailers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/21 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

When the public stops buying poorly assembled RVs quality will improve.
You can buy quality if you choose to; manufacturers make what buyers buy, they don’t make what buyers wish for but won’t pay for.

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/21 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually there seems to be little choice for the average consumer. It's just like the big 3 automakers in the '70s. They had you over a barrel...

Until they didn't anymore. Quality has vastly improved in every category since competitive options became available.

I know I would, and I think most others would be willing to shell out a couple grand more for a unit that actually had all the glue and screws in all the right places.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/21 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thor industries pulled a lot of butts out of the fire during the last deep economic down turn, otherwise you would have a half a dozen established TT companies and a lot of start-ups.

The TT and 5th wheel industry sells about 500,000 units a year, and has for the last 5 of 6 years. They make what sells.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/21 02:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see very few QC complaints about the more popular manufacturers of small, traditional fiberglass-shell RVs - Bigfoot, Escape, Casita - and maybe Scamp.

Several possible reasons for this:

1. Each of these manufacturers has been building the same basic trailer for decades - and thus has most of the design and production bugs worked out.

2. Each of these manufacturers isn't associated with a large RV conglomerate - which means that it isn't subject to the massive cost-cutting measures often associated with large RV conglomerates.

3. Fiberglass shell trailers tend to be quite minimalistic - they don't have a lot of trouble-prone features (e.g., slideouts and toy-hauler configurations).

In the same vein, Oliver also makes an excellent (albeit somewhat pricey) trailer.

BOTTOM LINE: There are still some decent-quality trailers being built - You just have to look beyond the big names to find them.

* This post was edited 08/14/21 02:51am by Skibane *

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/21 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Skibane. There is quality out there but you have to look hard. Oliver is a very good example. The issue is that, with the trailers you listed, you will have to give up some things and that is the problem. I also agreed with the Walmart reference. The bottom line is that we want the best but refuse to pay the price. The RV industry is making large trailers, with important things like, slide outs, big screen televisions, kitchen islands, surround sound systems for both inside and outside, automatic awnings and even fake fireplaces. We as a nation, are not ones to cutback. While we want big trailers, we do not want to pay big prices. And, "lightweight" trailers are the result. Lots of good stuff while keeping weight down so that we might save a gallon or two in the long run really doesn't focus on quality and durability. RV manufacturers know all of this and that is why there are many trailers out there that meet the "needs" of the public. Don't see this changing anytime soon.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/21 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish that was the case. As I and others have said, I would be very willing to shell out a couple grand more if I knew the glue and screws were where they belonged. But as far as I know, I don't have that option. It's kind of a go big or go home thing right now. If I could convince my wife, I would be very happy in a Bigfoot RV trailer.

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/21 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turn The Page,
I think you just made my point. "Go big or go home". Indeed.

Kampfirekid

usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/21 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After the **** I’m going through now, I’d gladly pay more for a quality built travel trailer, but where’s the guarantee there? I realize A/C units, refrigerators, water heaters, etc. are the same in most all of these units, regardless of price and “quality”, but just getting a well-built trailer that the manufacturer took time to ensure its built correctly and right, is what I’d pay for. But, how do you guarantee that? No trailer manufacturer is going to guarantee a rig more than 2-3 years. Oliver seems to be the only manufacturer I can find that reasonably can assure a customer their unit will be “morel” trouble free. Let’s face it… structure is the main failure with leaks in most of these units. Leaks develop because of the quick slam together, poor caulking, and many joints to develop leaks. These are things Oliver does not have to deal with in their build.

2019 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew. 5–/2 foot bed. 3.0L Powerstroke,
Loaded. 2020 K-Z Connect SE 241BHKSE

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/21 09:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are no "guarantees" of build quality - only product reputations, based on the experiences of other customers.

jimh406

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/21 10:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are built one at a time. Sometimes by the least experienced/quality focused person. Any can have problems, but better companies stand behind them. In general, I think you are better off buying used to pick one up that has had the major problems already fixed.

There are far too many new RVs sitting at the dealer waiting to be fixed during the first year.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Best Quality Travel Trailers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.