Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: level on level ground and towing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> level on level ground and towing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
joshkendrick

Fulton, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/21 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello

First time posting on the forum, so please be patient with me [emoticon]

We have a 2017 Jayco WhiteHawk 25BHS. It's a travel trailer, not a 5th wheel. Our tow vehicle is a 2019 Ram 2500, gas, Tradesman trim. We've taken it out on probably 20? camping trips, including we just got back from living in it for 2 weeks in Colorado.

I have 2 questions that are kind of related to the same issue: just from looking at the RV head on, it appears that it kind of leans to the left. It's not a lot, maybe an inch rise from left to right looking at it head-on.

I know it's important to have it level when you have it set up and youre using it, for the appliances, comfort, for the slideouts, etc. What I'm trying to determine is

1) how important is it that the travel trailer be "level" when towing?

2) how important is it that the travel trailer be level when it's just sitting unused on level ground?

Of note, we got 2 new axles and all new tires replaced in the last month, but this lean was there before that work was done. It may have been like this since we owned it and I'm just now noticing it..

Thanks!!

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/21 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Level while traveling as it relates to appliance is a non issue. In storage, unless you leave the RV fridge on being level a non issue, but try to park on level or near level ground.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/21 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agreed. When towing it doesn't matter from an appliance standpoint but I wouldn't want my TT not to be level stopped on flat ground. IMO that issue should have been fixed when you purchased new axles and tires. Get it repaired now.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/21 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most roads are "crowned", especially non-interstates, plus with rocking, swaying and bouncing you're not likely to be perfectly level while traveling. Plus 1 inch is Not a whole lot off.
Over the years, I've probably had not more perfectly level sites than I can count on one hand, I do try to get close.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would be kinda impossible to tow level , movement is good for absolution refrigerators ! When parked the manufacturer sez if you can walk around comfortably
, that is close enough !

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While underway level doesn't matter and would be virtually impossible to achieve anyway. When TT is not in motion and you have a RV absorption fridge it is good to be as level as possible, although a couple of degrees either way is OK, compressor fridges level is not as critical.

As for comfort how level your rig ends up being is totally your call with fridge concerns aside, with our 33' TT we do like a bit of front end tilt on entry door side to promote runoff. There has been a few times where being unlevel for a short period was something we could not control, our Dometic survived.

I will say that on our TT there is a slight lean as well, we have been down many a logging road and across plenty of dips over the past decade. We can't remember noticing it when we purchased new, after all these years it tows great going down the interstate so I don't give it much thought.

QCMan

Independent Republic of Horry

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our storage pad is ten feet wide and is sloped with one side about an inch high for drainage. None of our trailers cared even if the fridge was on. You might also be seeing the effects of one side having all or most of the storage for heavy items. Fridge and pantry on one side can throw it off a bit. I would not be concerned about an inch difference.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, if the lean is that noticeable, imo, figure it out.
If you’ve already trashed the axles then they were probably loaded to max or more and you may have sagging springs on one side. Especially, since it’s not normal to need new axles.

Regarding level, it’s whatever is comfortable for you and the only appliance that it really matters for is the fridge and the specs are generally 3deg one direction 6 deg the other +\- Read the spec for your fridge. As long as you don’t exceed that you’re not harming anything.
Those specs are “way” out of level too. 3deg 3/4” per foot.

Note that is for static operation. Won’t prevent you from towing up or down a steeper slope.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

joshkendrick

Fulton, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/21 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all for the quick and helpful responses!! A good sanity check is always appreciated

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My storage lots in Texas and Nevada were all level concrete, asphalt or gravel however my TT was not until I adjusted the air in my tires for all 4 to be same.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> level on level ground and towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.