Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Need advise from the Ram Owners
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Need advise from the Ram Owners

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sagebrush

Jacksonville AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/21 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The new diesel trucks are costly to maintain and they need to be worked hard to let the emission system function right. For now I've decided to fix up my old 2003 Ram 305/555 HO diesel, no emissions and it still runs okay. A new truck is nice though, I just don't want to spend that much money and have the down time, seems like the new ones see the dealer much more often thees days. A 2002 may be worth fixing up? My 03 Laramie interior still looks okay, the drive line is still good, only rebuilt the old 4 speed auto once so far. The engine has been trouble free, haven't done much to it. One fuel injector line broke and a couple water pumps. I may put a new dash in and give it a paint job some day. I rather use my money for other things then some 70K truck, everyone is different though. My 2003 was $42K fully loaded with some extras. Its been a long time since it was paid off, its nice having no payment to make for many years.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/21 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

Get an F350 with the Godzilla 7.3 gas. It's heads above the 6.4 Hemi.
I had a 2018 6.4 Hemi with 4.10 gears towing 9600 lbs all over the west up into the Tetons and out in the high deserts. The 6 sp tranny sucked the power out of the Hemi. I doubt the 8sp would be all that much better. The 7.3 gas Ford will pull much easier with the 10 sp.

No disagreement from anyone without an unhealthy brand loyalty, that the new Ford gassers are the benchmark for power.

However your statement regarding the 8HP not being much better than the old clunky, poorly geared 65rfe just shows total supposition on your part and zero experience driving a 8HP equipped vehicle.

You couldn't pay me to tow 11,000 lbs in the PNW with a gas truck. BTDT with only 9600 lbs. Out on flatter ground sure it would be okay.
Thats why I went back to a Cummins after my Hemi. I could've got another Hemi with the 8 sp but IMO it wasn't enough to make up for the lack of power in higher elevations. That and the 8.5-9 mpgs and 200 mile range just didn't cut it.
The 7.3 gas makes enough HP/TQ to make up the the elevation issue.

YMMV

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/21 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Save yourself $50,000 and use what you have. That Cummins will have no issues with 11,000 lbs. I'm still using a 2001 Cummins dually, and it gets the job done. Yeah, it's not as fancy, and it is noisier, but $50,000 will buy a lot of traveling. JMO anyway.

And now is a terrible time to buy anyway, prices are waaaaay high.

Me would give this ^ serious considerations.

richclover

WY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/21 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“…There are some downsides to the gas, or upsides to the new 1000+ ft-lb diesels:
1. You can accelerate up almost any hill pulling heavy loads.
2. You have an exhaust brake.…”

I’ve done a lot of towing with gas engines. My flatbed, with CanAm loaded, rides nicely behind the Hemi.

The 5’er needs more.

Cummins for me.

Rich
2018 Ram 4X4 2500HD Cummins
2020 Chaparral 336TSIK
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2019 CanAm Maverick Sport 1000
SW WY

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/21 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Save yourself $50,000 and use what you have. That Cummins will have no issues with 11,000 lbs. I'm still using a 2001 Cummins dually, and it gets the job done. Yeah, it's not as fancy, and it is noisier, but $50,000 will buy a lot of traveling. JMO anyway.

And now is a terrible time to buy anyway, prices are waaaaay high.

Good advice.

Friends just paid 70k for a 19 Laramie LB with 12k, stupid pricing these days.

Wow , that seems a bit overpriced regardless . My son has a 2022 Ford Lariat on order , loaded that was 76k. Did they look at new ?

Not one on the lot. They were in a hurry.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/21 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"The new diesel trucks are costly to maintain"

That's simply "Barbara Streisand".

Devo the dog

Moved out of crazy California

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/21 10:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In comparison to the new gas trucks, the new diesels are costly to maintain. All you need to do is compare the cost of oil changes, filters and fuel filters of a diesel to the cost of a gas truck. It doesn't matter if you do it yourself of pay someone to do the maintenance. Maintenance on a new diesel costs more than the maintenance on a gas truck.

That's what you own if you spend the extra money on the diesel.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/21 04:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm with Dodge Guy on this. I also have extensive background with CDJR(F) dealerships.
The newer Cummins isn't the reliability issue, it's all the emission garbage he mentioned. The warranty will cover the cost of repairs but when you are stranded on I10 in the middle of nowhere TX in 100 degree heat with high humidity 2000 miles from where you need to be it doesn't much matter does it? And that's before you find out the part is on backorder with no ETA.
That's why I drive old Ram diesels. I didn't look for a 06 or early 07 because of the TIPM issues. My 05 will last until I'm not towing anymore. I should have kept my first year 24V with the Banks kit. The 75 decibels in the cab under load was the reason I sold it.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

packpe89

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/21 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diesel,
1. Exhaust Brake, love this feature on my CTD
2. Filling up at the truck stop. Didn't realize how big of an issue this was until I went from diesel to gas and now back to diesel. It can often be hard getting to a gas pump.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/21 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

I'm with Dodge Guy on this. I also have extensive background with CDJR(F) dealerships.
The newer Cummins isn't the reliability issue, it's all the emission garbage he mentioned. The warranty will cover the cost of repairs but when you are stranded on I10 in the middle of nowhere TX in 100 degree heat with high humidity 2000 miles from where you need to be it doesn't much matter does it? And that's before you find out the part is on backorder with no ETA.
That's why I drive old Ram diesels. I didn't look for a 06 or early 07 because of the TIPM issues. My 05 will last until I'm not towing anymore. I should have kept my first year 24V with the Banks kit. The 75 decibels in the cab under load was the reason I sold it.

If that is your opinion tHat doesn't speak well for Ram in general.
You are giving validity to Devo's claim that Ram's are junk.
I have a 2019 Duramax with 70K on it. No issues so far, certainly never been stranded.
Is Ram building such a poor product that the mechanics don't recommend them?

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Need advise from the Ram Owners
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.