Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Need advise from the Ram Owners
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Need advise from the Ram Owners

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/07/21 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

bucky wrote:

I'm with Dodge Guy on this. I also have extensive background with CDJR(F) dealerships.
The newer Cummins isn't the reliability issue, it's all the emission garbage he mentioned. The warranty will cover the cost of repairs but when you are stranded on I10 in the middle of nowhere TX in 100 degree heat with high humidity 2000 miles from where you need to be it doesn't much matter does it? And that's before you find out the part is on backorder with no ETA.
That's why I drive old Ram diesels. I didn't look for a 06 or early 07 because of the TIPM issues. My 05 will last until I'm not towing anymore. I should have kept my first year 24V with the Banks kit. The 75 decibels in the cab under load was the reason I sold it.


If that is your opinion tHat doesn't speak well for Ram in general.
You are giving validity to Devo's claim that Ram's are junk.
I have a 2019 Duramax with 70K on it. No issues so far, certainly never been stranded.
Is Ram building such a poor product that the mechanics don't recommend them?


One of the other big issues is the actuators on these newer Cummins. Very common issue, found myself 700 miles from home fifth wheel in tow with a bad actuator. Not exactly stranded , managed to limp it into a dealership . Basically stranded for a few days waiting on the part , and repair .

I have had emission issues , nothing that left me stranded , and repaired under warranty, and recalls . Been around a lot of these new trucks, and no the Ram has no more issues then the other two brands. When waiting for the actuator repair , had my fifth wheel towed back to the RV park we had left by a friend , starting hearing all the turbo , and other problems that the group we were with have had with their Ford or Chev.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/07/21 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Yup emissions and vgt actuator technology and the potential issues are a thing.
Of course each mfg is slightly different, but similar function and technology and all have their issues potentially.
I mean, I lost the trans in my last gasser at 60k miles. 2016 Chevy. Does that mean no gassers? Because I’ve ever lost a trans behind a diesel?

That’s where these arguments get pretty inane and opinionated.
Small sample case, I’ve stated before. Had somewhere around a 75 truck fleet of diesel pickups , all with DEF required emissions systems. About 30 of them were 2014 Rams, and the rest a split between the other 2 mfgs. All operated in the Arctic in the winter, no load, 1000s of hours of idling on each truck.
All had issues. The Rams, aside from freezing and cracking def injectors, we’re the most reliable with respect to clearing the soot and easiest, least intrusive to do manual regens on. All of them plugged up (with 100s of hours of idling in -20 to -50F temps and no ability to load them up or drive faster than 35mph empty) from time to time.

Back to OPs question, a NEW HD Hemi or Godzilla will provide a similar towing experience power wise and stopping, maybe even better , than a bone stock old 24V
Cummins. Even more so if the Cummins is handicapped with the anemic 47re trans.

100% different story if the 2nd Gen has a nice 60-100hp tune, a 6 speed handshaker and an aftermarket exh brake.
At only a few miles a year driven, that truck should still be like new though if we’ll cared for and you’re primarily buying more creature comforts and better brakes with a new HD gasser.

The argument about maintenance costs ( normal air fuel oil services) being higher is one that just makes me cringe. Yes they take more oil and have more filters. No question. But the % difference in total cost of ownership between gas and diesel simply due to that is so minute it’s of no consequence to anyone with an expensive vehicle.
It’s like saying it’s stupid to buy good bread because wonder bread is cheaper, when the good bread tastes better, is healthier for you and the slices are much bigger.
Moral of the story, if you pinch pennies on bread, get a gasser….


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

jsummers72

Arizona

New Member

Joined: 04/05/2020

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/07/21 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree w/ Blazing Zippers. I have the same set up & towing requirements. Love my 2016 6.4.

Devo the dog

Moved out of crazy California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/08/2008

View Profile



Posted: 08/07/21 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Lantley wrote:

bucky wrote:

I'm with Dodge Guy on this. I also have extensive background with CDJR(F) dealerships.
The newer Cummins isn't the reliability issue, it's all the emission garbage he mentioned. The warranty will cover the cost of repairs but when you are stranded on I10 in the middle of nowhere TX in 100 degree heat with high humidity 2000 miles from where you need to be it doesn't much matter does it? And that's before you find out the part is on backorder with no ETA.
That's why I drive old Ram diesels. I didn't look for a 06 or early 07 because of the TIPM issues. My 05 will last until I'm not towing anymore. I should have kept my first year 24V with the Banks kit. The 75 decibels in the cab under load was the reason I sold it.


If that is your opinion tHat doesn't speak well for Ram in general.
You are giving validity to Devo's claim that Ram's are junk.
I have a 2019 Duramax with 70K on it. No issues so far, certainly never been stranded.
Is Ram building such a poor product that the mechanics don't recommend them?


One of the other big issues is the actuators on these newer Cummins. Very common issue, found myself 700 miles from home fifth wheel in tow with a bad actuator. Not exactly stranded , managed to limp it into a dealership . Basically stranded for a few days waiting on the part , and repair .

I find it amusing that others have had engine and emissions problems, and I haven't. LOL.

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/07/21 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure who has had engine issues. It’s usually the emissions system.

* This post was edited 08/07/21 09:14pm by Cummins12V98 *


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/07/21 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have sent you a private message about your truck.

bucky

Raleigh metro

Senior Member

Joined: 05/07/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/08/21 04:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

bucky wrote:

I'm with Dodge Guy on this. I also have extensive background with CDJR(F) dealerships.
The newer Cummins isn't the reliability issue, it's all the emission garbage he mentioned. The warranty will cover the cost of repairs but when you are stranded on I10 in the middle of nowhere TX in 100 degree heat with high humidity 2000 miles from where you need to be it doesn't much matter does it? And that's before you find out the part is on backorder with no ETA.
That's why I drive old Ram diesels. I didn't look for a 06 or early 07 because of the TIPM issues. My 05 will last until I'm not towing anymore. I should have kept my first year 24V with the Banks kit. The 75 decibels in the cab under load was the reason I sold it.


If that is your opinion tHat doesn't speak well for Ram in general.
You are giving validity to Devo's claim that Ram's are junk.
I have a 2019 Duramax with 70K on it. No issues so far, certainly never been stranded.
Is Ram building such a poor product that the mechanics don't recommend them?


Our comments were about the emission systems, not Ram. We never saw the diesels in the shop before the emission stuff started piling on. All the manufacturers face the same problem, the OP was discussing Ram, hence our replies.


2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL


noteven

Turtle Island

Senior Member

Joined: 02/13/2011

View Profile



Posted: 08/08/21 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

^Yup emissions and vgt actuator technology and the potential issues are a thing.
Of course each mfg is slightly different, but similar function and technology and all have their issues potentially.
I mean, I lost the trans in my last gasser at 60k miles. 2016 Chevy. Does that mean no gassers? Because I’ve ever lost a trans behind a diesel?

That’s where these arguments get pretty inane and opinionated.
Small sample case, I’ve stated before. Had somewhere around a 75 truck fleet of diesel pickups , all with DEF required emissions systems. About 30 of them were 2014 Rams, and the rest a split between the other 2 mfgs. All operated in the Arctic in the winter, no load, 1000s of hours of idling on each truck.
All had issues. The Rams, aside from freezing and cracking def injectors, we’re the most reliable with respect to clearing the soot and easiest, least intrusive to do manual regens on. All of them plugged up (with 100s of hours of idling in -20 to -50F temps and no ability to load them up or drive faster than 35mph empty) from time to time.

Back to OPs question, a NEW HD Hemi or Godzilla will provide a similar towing experience power wise and stopping, maybe even better , than a bone stock old 24V
Cummins. Even more so if the Cummins is handicapped with the anemic 47re trans.

100% different story if the 2nd Gen has a nice 60-100hp tune, a 6 speed handshaker and an aftermarket exh brake.
At only a few miles a year driven, that truck should still be like new though if we’ll cared for and you’re primarily buying more creature comforts and better brakes with a new HD gasser.

The argument about maintenance costs ( normal air fuel oil services) being higher is one that just makes me cringe. Yes they take more oil and have more filters. No question. But the % difference in total cost of ownership between gas and diesel simply due to that is so minute it’s of no consequence to anyone with an expensive vehicle.
It’s like saying it’s stupid to buy good bread because wonder bread is cheaper, when the good bread tastes better, is healthier for you and the slices are much bigger.
Moral of the story, if you pinch pennies on bread, get a gasser….


Grit - curious why diesel trucks were spec’d for cold weather high idling hours application? Here is AB lots of companies use gas engines for that kind of work for the reasons you said -

Modern diesels burn so little fuel to idle it is hard to keep heat in the engine… carbon packing of rings, egr troubles, stuck vgt’s…

Diesels are happiest when they are worked hard, idled for a couple minutes to stabilize temps, and shut down.

cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/08/21 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

^Yup emissions and vgt actuator technology and the potential issues are a thing.
Of course each mfg is slightly different, but similar function and technology and all have their issues potentially.
I mean, I lost the trans in my last gasser at 60k miles. 2016 Chevy. Does that mean no gassers? Because I’ve ever lost a trans behind a diesel?

That’s where these arguments get pretty inane and opinionated.
Small sample case, I’ve stated before. Had somewhere around a 75 truck fleet of diesel pickups , all with DEF required emissions systems. About 30 of them were 2014 Rams, and the rest a split between the other 2 mfgs. All operated in the Arctic in the winter, no load, 1000s of hours of idling on each truck.
All had issues. The Rams, aside from freezing and cracking def injectors, we’re the most reliable with respect to clearing the soot and easiest, least intrusive to do manual regens on. All of them plugged up (with 100s of hours of idling in -20 to -50F temps and no ability to load them up or drive faster than 35mph empty) from time to time.

Back to OPs question, a NEW HD Hemi or Godzilla will provide a similar towing experience power wise and stopping, maybe even better , than a bone stock old 24V
Cummins. Even more so if the Cummins is handicapped with the anemic 47re trans.

100% different story if the 2nd Gen has a nice 60-100hp tune, a 6 speed handshaker and an aftermarket exh brake.
At only a few miles a year driven, that truck should still be like new though if we’ll cared for and you’re primarily buying more creature comforts and better brakes with a new HD gasser.

The argument about maintenance costs ( normal air fuel oil services) being higher is one that just makes me cringe. Yes they take more oil and have more filters. No question. But the % difference in total cost of ownership between gas and diesel simply due to that is so minute it’s of no consequence to anyone with an expensive vehicle.
It’s like saying it’s stupid to buy good bread because wonder bread is cheaper, when the good bread tastes better, is healthier for you and the slices are much bigger.
Moral of the story, if you pinch pennies on bread, get a gasser….


I was going to reply with that maintenance statement about the cost , but for those that do their maintenance on these diesels it’s not a big deal , and certainly not a deal breaker .

I’ve towed with gassers , never again .

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/08/21 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

Lantley wrote:

bucky wrote:

I'm with Dodge Guy on this. I also have extensive background with CDJR(F) dealerships.
The newer Cummins isn't the reliability issue, it's all the emission garbage he mentioned. The warranty will cover the cost of repairs but when you are stranded on I10 in the middle of nowhere TX in 100 degree heat with high humidity 2000 miles from where you need to be it doesn't much matter does it? And that's before you find out the part is on backorder with no ETA.
That's why I drive old Ram diesels. I didn't look for a 06 or early 07 because of the TIPM issues. My 05 will last until I'm not towing anymore. I should have kept my first year 24V with the Banks kit. The 75 decibels in the cab under load was the reason I sold it.


If that is your opinion tHat doesn't speak well for Ram in general.
You are giving validity to Devo's claim that Ram's are junk.
I have a 2019 Duramax with 70K on it. No issues so far, certainly never been stranded.
Is Ram building such a poor product that the mechanics don't recommend them?


Our comments were about the emission systems, not Ram. We never saw the diesels in the shop before the emission stuff started piling on. All the manufacturers face the same problem, the OP was discussing Ram, hence our replies.

I'm not sure you can seperate Ram from its emmisions system. While I get your point, the guy stranded in a strange town doesn't want Ram to point the finger at someone else while his truck is in the shop.
Ultimately Ram designed the emmisions system.
It not very reassuring if you are a Ram owner when 2 mechanics state they doon't believe Ram diesels pick ups are reliable....Which has been Devo's point all along.
Not only are they unreliable, but the dealers are unable to fix them once an issue occurs.
I'm not a Ram basher. I tend to take Devo's claims with a grain of salt. I'm really not that brand loyal. The 6.0 PSD disaster chased me away from Ford years ago and I found the Duramax Allison combo. Nevertheless hearing Ram mechanics support DEvo's claim and speak poorly of Ram diesels is somewhat eye opening.


19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Need advise from the Ram Owners
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.