Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Opinions on diesel vs. gasoline
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Opinions on diesel vs. gasoline

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/21 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could always rent a 32’ gasser that has s hitch. Try it. It might be money well spent with no regrets.

#1Flyboy

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/21 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

…… If’s you have the money & live & travel in the Western USA a diesel for the power to go uphill & exhaust brake for going downhill is what we chose…..If’s you live in the Eastern USA then a gasser makes sense cause they don’t got MOUNTAINS….

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/21 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Loved the smell of diesel in the morning.

Would never have another one.

Just me……

2014 Leprechaun 290QB
Chevy 4500 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/21 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First thought would be to try a gasser C with both the 6.8 and the new 7.3.
The 7.3 supposedly makes its best power at a much lower RPM. Ideal would be to rent one with the 7.3 and then tow the jeep to get a real idea.
Might be time for a Colorado road trip and rent a new one to answer all your questions.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/21 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If a Class C came with a 3.5L Ecoboost, it would perform in the mountains yet have a lower overall maintenance cost than diesels.

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/21 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

I've had both. I'd never buy diesel again. I find no issues going into the mountains in Canada.

Hard to beat the power of a diesel, but they really are not cost effective these days unless you are driving >50k per year.

The new Ford 7.3L gas with a 10 speed transmission is a very good combination. Add a 4.10 or 4.30 rear axle ratio and climbing mountains should be no problem.

* This post was edited 08/11/21 06:35am by theoldwizard1 *

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/21 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:

If a Class C came with a 3.5L Ecoboost, it would perform in the mountains yet have a lower overall maintenance cost than diesels.

Full size Class C on a Ford E350/E450 chassis do NOT have the 3.5L EcoBoost as an available engine.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/21 10:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A gas class C will certainly get you anywhere you need/want to go and back again, and be perfectly able to go up and down mountains safely if operated sensibly (i.e. downshifting as needed for engine braking). It won't be as fast as a modern car, nor as slow as a semi truck with a decently large load. Whether or not you'd be disappointed in the gas motorhome's performance is not something I can say, since I can't really know what your expectations are.

From a maintenance and repair and engine life perspective, the gas engines are just fine. They're unlikely to be worn out in a motorhome, and certainly not before the house part is very very tired and well-used.

If it were me in your position, I'd give good consideration to the gas motorhome, doubly so if the floorplan and general interior arrangements and other features were what I wanted. For the difference in price, you can buy a lot of fuel and many nights of campground fees. But, of course, I am not you.

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 05:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A diesel in a Class C is a lot different than a diesel in a Class A. All the noise and heat is in front of you in a Class C, but far behind you in a Class A DP. I love diesels, but don't want it in my face.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many miles do you plan on traveling in a year. Lotsa miles get a diesel, fewer miles get a gas. The extra cost of a diesel will take along time to pay back if you don't drive a lot of miles.
If you absolutely need to be first up a hill, get a diesel.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Opinions on diesel vs. gasoline
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.