Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Putting new decals over old.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Putting new decals over old.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
2 Retired

Montross, Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/21 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used a hand-held hair dryer and a putty knife to remove decals that had begun pealing on our RV. Just took some time, a little physical effort, and then used goo b gone to get the glue residue off.

Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/21 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hair dryer or heat gun on low with a scraper, plastic so as not to scratch the gelgoat. It takes lots of time & lots of patience to get the heat & scrape combo right.

Get the glue off with lacquer thinners, cheap & what stuff like goo gone is probably based on anyway.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

Get the glue off with lacquer thinners, cheap & what stuff like goo gone is probably based on anyway.

[emoticon]

Might wish to review the Safety Data Sheets..

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

While Goo Gone may have petroleum based products in it, I would choose it as a starting product way before choosing any sort of Lacquer Thinners which includes Toluene and Acetone in very high concentrations..

One can always look up the SDS on products..

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh I never said anything about the hazzardness of lacquer thinners or acetone etc. Yes they are.

They work & they often cost much less than other products carrying a different name.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Goo Gone works surprisingly well for many types of adhesives and it does so with minimal risk to paints and surfaces and not to mention your own personal health.

Lacquer thinners however can damage paint and your health and not to mention there are many types of paint thinner meant for use with epoxy paints and such and great care and respect needs to given to those.

Goo Gone often needs time to break down the adhesives and may require several applications and rubbing but for the most part there have been very few stickers that it hasn't worked very well on that I have removed over the yrs.

With that said, I have often heard that WD-40 may even work and there are purpose made decal removers made by most automotive paint manufacturers that most likely will work better than paint thinners.

You have to attack the glue base and the glue base may not respond to paint thinners.

minnow

Upstate South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/21 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had terrific luck with a product called GraphXOff. Its a thick gel which is applied with a paint brush. Let it sit fir about 10 minutes and the decal bubbles up. Take a plastic scraper and remove the decal. Reapply the GraphXOff on the remaining glue, wait a few minutes and the glue residue scrapes right off. It won't damage the paint and is easily washed off. I've used this for 5 years now. As the decals deteriorate, I remove them(and don't replace them).

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Putting new decals over old.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.