Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Temptation to Buy a Chromebook
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Temptation to Buy a Chromebook

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/21 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I should have added that I am in our 5er right now, using a cell phone hotspot and that is all you need for a Chromebook.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/21 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a laptop with decent memory and an SSD, you will have many of the same benefits of a Chromebook, with few of the negatives. My new HP laptop with a 512 gig SSD boots up in less than 30 seconds and shuts down in 5. It operates very quickly, and is fairly light. Those spinning platter drives are pretty heavy compared to an SSD. I can't argue with the fact the Chromebooks are cheap, but my new 17.3 inch HP laptop with a 512 gig SSD and 1960 x 1080 resolution was less than $550.

My eyes aren't what they used to be and that large screen, for a laptop, makes it a lot easier to work with. [emoticon]

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

srdeane

Southeast US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/21 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When my HP laptop died, I checked out Chromebooks. I realized I didn't need a lot of onboard memory because I have a limited range of functions I need. For less than $200 I got a Lenovo Chromeook. I pay $1.99 a month for cloud storage and am nowhere close to maxing out the lowest level of storage. It works fast, is small enough to be convenient and large enough for my old(er) eyes. The only frustration is that I had gotten used to Windows commands and functions. I'm still not fully conversant with the Chrome equivalents, but it's my own laziness.

cleo43

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/21 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

My new HP laptop with a 512 gig SSD boots up in less than 30 seconds and shuts down in 5.

The questions are 1) For how long can your HP keep up that speed ? 2) How much do you save if you buy a CB equivalent ?
My nephew just took a Windows Laptop off the hand off his colleague for 50$ (it is full of malwares), my nephew wiped the disk clean then replaced with Linux - it run great again.
The greatest feature of a CB, I think, is the Power Wash - if you suspect something going wrong, just activate that, your CB is working great again !
New CB have more features (more apps, Crostini ...) that can make them much more versatile and useful than some people might think.
I have an 8 year old CB that cost me 250$C, and it is still going strong.
It can do practically everything I ever need: VPN, Email, Light WP, Music, Photos (offline storage), News, Chat, G Meet (video talk with my kids & grand kid) ...

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/21 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I prefer to have my files reside on my own drives, so I'm not keen on Chromebooks with their cloud storage 'solution.'

If you just want a new challenge, why not study up and create a dual-boot system on your laptop with Linux Mint? That's what I did. It wasn't easy to figure out, but once I accomplished the goal, it was a satisfying feeling.

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Gulfcoast

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/21 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I need a laptop or Chromebook to use in my trailer, which is 12-volts on 400-watts of solar. A long battery life and low power draw is important. I do not wish to use an inverter. Can you recommend a laptop or Chromebook? No tablets.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/21 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cleo43 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

My new HP laptop with a 512 gig SSD boots up in less than 30 seconds and shuts down in 5.

The questions are 1) For how long can your HP keep up that speed ? 2) How much do you save if you buy a CB equivalent ?
My nephew just took a Windows Laptop off the hand off his colleague for 50$ (it is full of malwares), my nephew wiped the disk clean then replaced with Linux - it run great again.
The greatest feature of a CB, I think, is the Power Wash - if you suspect something going wrong, just activate that, your CB is working great again !
New CB have more features (more apps, Crostini ...) that can make them much more versatile and useful than some people might think.
I have an 8 year old CB that cost me 250$C, and it is still going strong.
It can do practically everything I ever need: VPN, Email, Light WP, Music, Photos (offline storage), News, Chat, G Meet (video talk with my kids & grand kid) ...
Okay, I only have one question: How well will the Chromebook work with Basecamp? That's a must have program.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/21 04:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horsedoc wrote:

but I just could not figure out how to make it work or how to save anything of importance.

Chromebooks are designed to brows the web. I use Web-Mail not client mail so that worked well..

But they are not designed for "Storage" (Saving stuff)
THat's why I still have a WINDOWS box. it has a ton of memory so I can save stuff. but the Chromebooks do WWW stuff very well.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/21 04:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I must admit, I can be pretty spontaneous sometimes in decision making, but eventually I usually return to my senses. I’m going to hold off on any thought of getting a Chromebook until it’s really necessary. I trust my iPad will act as a good substitute should my aging Toshiba eventually give out. I don’t engage in gaming or any type of computer program that requires the capabilities of a full-fledged PC.

In fact, I had already set up my iPad as a laptop replacement, adding a keyboard and mouse, in anticipation of needing to make a change, and I trust it can do the job. However, I appreciate the responses on this thread that have encouraged me about the Chromebook, just in case I make that decision someday. [emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/21 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gulfcoast wrote:

I need a laptop or Chromebook to use in my trailer, which is 12-volts on 400-watts of solar. A long battery life and low power draw is important. I do not wish to use an inverter. Can you recommend a laptop or Chromebook? No tablets.

Very easy solution very few realize is available for Laptops (IE Windows PCs) is a universal 12V laptop charger.

[image]

The Charger in the pix and plug into 120V AC OR 12V DC and can adapt to a wide range of laptops and even different manufacturers by simply selecting and changing the tip that plugs into the laptop charging port.

That one is available HERE for $35.

Bought one similar to the one in the pix for my DD 4 yrs ago for a I7 Hyper threaded quad core processor "2 in one" touch screen laptop I custom ordered from Dell for her College courses. The one I bought her is still going strong and she liked it better than the original Dell charger..

For longest battery life, you will want a bit slower processor than I7 and for general PC work a I3 or I5 can work great, speed takes more battery. Believe it or not, spinning rust hard drives require much less power than SSDs. Typical 1TB laptop drive will use 3.75W, Typical 1TB SSD 8.5W! Although some of my research on SSDs Samsung EVO SSDs are a bit more efficient on power use, typically around 4.5W.

Sadly, when you buy laptops, manufacturers do not typically give you a choice of HD brands. On the upside, as long as the drive is removable SATA you can opt to install the brand of choice after you buy it. You can get free HD cloning/imaging software that allows you to copy/clone/image your existing drive. Then you can simply keep a backup drive for those oops moments.

I keep a backup drive by periodically making an image backup of the entire drive. I can overcome malware/virus/hacker/bad software by taking a couple of minutes to pop a backup drive into my PCs and I am up and running in minutes without having to re-enter passwords, reinstalling software or resyncing files.

You can't do any of that with any Chrome books.

Backup image of your PC results in a much faster recovery than Chrome books "power wash" which wipes out all settings and you have to start from scratch.

If you like "tinkering" with your OS and software and keeping your information/files local, more secure and private, a Windows PC is where you want to be provided you disable silly things like One drive or other cloud storage.. Once that information leaves your PC, it is never safe.secure or private. Google rakes through all of your files and builds a personal profile of your usage, habits and other web based use.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Temptation to Buy a Chromebook
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.