Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Air Filters For Your Trucks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Air Filters For Your Trucks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 03:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To date I've only used Fleetguard filters except for the fuel filters, they've been Mopar.

That said I use Fram filters in my wife's 10+ year old Pilot and that car has been stupid reliable since we bought it new.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

To date I've only used Fleetguard filters except for the fuel filters, they've been Mopar.

That said I use Fram filters in my wife's 10+ year old Pilot and that car has been stupid reliable since we bought it new.

The Mopar fuel filter under the bed is made by Racor who also makes it for everyone else(even Fleetguard) since they still have a patent on it.

The Mopar fuel filter in the engine is made by Fleetguard.

So technically you are using all Fleetguard.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whenever one of these silly "quality parts" discussions comes up, am I the only person that imagines Chris Farley wrestling a deer in a Plymouth GTX, or Big Tom Callahan saying " I can get a good look at the quality of a Tbone by sticking my head up the cows @ss, but Id rather take my butcher's word for it!" ???

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 04:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

Your engine mount filter is made my FleetGuard and under bed is RACOR even tho labeled MOPAR.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/21 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

SweetLou wrote:

No one here even mentions Wix. Why?

Simply NOT the same quality as MOPAR or FleetGuard. I posted the one I run and I think by now you know I am a pick MoFo just order it and be happy!!!

Yup. Going for it but was just curious that Wix wasn't in the mix

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/21 08:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SweetLou wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

SweetLou wrote:

Simply NOT the same quality as MOPAR or FleetGuard. I posted the one I run and I think by now you know I am a pick MoFo just order it and be happy!!!

A local well respected auto repair shop uses Wix filters in their oil change bay. I’ve had oil changes done there once in a while on 2 of my pickups and I think they put in a Wix air filter I needed …

So that means I would have run Wix filters! Now Wix is on the list.

Some of the cut open and examine filter videos are interesting.

If you want ultra filtration a bypass filter kit in addition to the oil filter on the engine is an option.

* This post was edited 08/19/21 08:41am by noteven *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/21 09:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SweetLou wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

SweetLou wrote:

Wix is a fine option. Some folks let brand loyalty cloud their recommendations….

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/21 10:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wix and napa are same filters. Napa has on more digit, last four are the same as wix four.
I've run them too. Easy to find.
Also have run Baldwin.
Then the one manufacture makes ALL one size is not that uncommon. The GM 6.5TD fuel filter were one manufacture, just different boxes for a given brand.
Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/21 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

SweetLou wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

SweetLou wrote:

Wix is a fine option. Some folks let brand loyalty cloud their recommendations….

Nope just wanting the best product available. Example I used to run the FleetGuard Stratopore oil filters but since the AMZ/OIL-Donaldson are a better filter i have switched.

Don't think you will get a better stock air filter than the FleetGuard/MOPAR.

ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 06:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Nope just wanting the best product available. Example I used to run the FleetGuard Stratopore oil filters but since the AMZ/OIL-Donaldson are a better filter i have switched.

Don't think you will get a better stock air filter than the FleetGuard/MOPAR.

But what if the Fleetgaurd/Mopar is the exact same as the Wix coming out of the same factory? I bet if you did a little research, you will likely find that they are procured from the same company. Contrary to popular belief, filter manufacturers do not make every filter they sell. Many times they will buy from a competitor and relabel it if it is cheaper to do so or if the competitor still has a patent on the filter. Since Mopar does not make their own filters and Fleetguard doesn't make this filter, they are both likely getting this filter from the same company that Wix is also getting it from.

It is like vehicle batteries. There are only three major battery manufacturers in the US. Clarios(used to be Johnson Controls), East Penn, and Exide. These three make all those battery brands people fight over claiming one is better than the other. The last time I visited Clarios(who makes our branded battery for my company), I saw interstate batteries come of the same line as Motorcraft batteries. The only difference is between each brands good/better/best batteries which may have a different virgin lead content. is bonded, and/or has some other accessory like a handle. However, all "good" batteries from every brand comes off the same base battery line, just like all of the "better" comes of the second tier assembly lines as well as the "best' coming off the tier 1 assembly line.

In regards to Fleetgaurd's Stratopore, they actually sold this synthetic media to many other competitors when it first came out because these competitors did have the means to make it. This synthetic media was made specifically to Cummins' spec so even if Donaldson or Amzoil has a better filter media(which I don't think they do based on my data), it will not do anything to extend the life of your engine so it is basically pointless especially if it costs more. If you can show me where the Donaldson/Amzoil filter will extend the life of my engine X amount of miles more than the Fleetgaurd, then I might be intrigued.

* This post was edited 08/20/21 06:48am by ShinerBock *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Air Filters For Your Trucks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.