Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Possible return to RV life
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Possible return to RV life

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
lhenry8113

Cypress or Lake Arrowhead, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/21 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Few years ago we purchased a used 2017 F.R. Forester 2251LE on a Chevy 450 chassis with 6.0 gas engine. The DLR had gone thru it and it was still under Factory warranty. It's 24ft and has rear slide for camper queen bed. We wanted a Chevy chassis instead of Ford or Mercedes. Also, stove oven as well as microwave, side windows in overhead berth, V8 gas engine, rear mounted spare tire and ladder. Had about 7000 miles on it-had been a leased vehicle-now has 18,000 miles on it. Haven't had any problems. Love being able to take it any where we want to go. Even at Ca. State Park system it's considered a regular size vehicle.

2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE
Mustang Hollow Campground, Mathis, TX. Corpus Christi-Lake Corpus Christi

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/21 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klutchdust wrote:

wrote "Notice how they 'conveniently' leave off the mileage. After all, why would mileage be important to anyone??"

Having wrenched for a career i can honestly say i would choose a vehicle with high mileage and a detailed maintenance program over something " we tried to change the oil before every trip" or what's a fuel filter" Or my neighbor said .........

My understanding rentals come with details from day one. 100K miles on today's engines is their break in period. The days of engines giving out at 100k is long gone.
trannys the same thing, unless you buy into the "flush" idea which causes more damage than good. My friend jerry, who owned a shop for 35 years heard it toooo many times. "I just had it flushed, what could go wrong".
Plenty. Don't do it.

And purchasing a used unit from a dealer is scary. No maintenance logs, most likely came from an auction or repo. If your rig is getting repo'ed would you maintain it?
Can't make the payment again honey but did you get the oil changed? Choose wisely.

And yes the market is very strong for sellers. Newbies getting into the market to go on adventures. I took advantage of that with 2 of my vehicles and did very well.

Very true, but we can't look at only the mechanicals of the unit. The house and all its components has to be considered as well. Not necessarily the age of it, but the use (or misuse) of it. Remember, the last time most renters had experience with the ins and outs of a motorhome is 'never' -- sorry, still not my cup of tea.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/21 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cheeze1 wrote:

Hi Folks, there’s a we might be getting another B+ or C. Since I’ve been out of the loop since 2012, I don’t have all my RV resources anymore.
We will be looking for a smaller (up to 25’) one with hopefully 1 slide out, rear bed preferred, but we have to be flexible in the used market.
Lower mileage is a plus.
What are the ‘newer’ websites where we might start looking?
Thanks everyone!!

Charles -

Look for a used Winnie Minnie 22M or Spirit 22M model (both are built by Winnebago)!

They come on the Ford E350 chassis for great stability and overall handling in a small Class C. Their tanks are large for a small Class C, and they have one slide for a walk-around bed:
https://www.winnebago.com/models/product........es/class-c/minnie-winnie?floorplans=true

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

cheeze1

Morristown, NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/21 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FOLKS, THANK YOU all for your input. We just had a long talk and as much as we loved our RV, our lives have changed to where it would not work for us. We appreciate all the kind advice and wish all of you luck and safe travels!

Chas Morristown, NJ
Trail Lite

">

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/21 05:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Would be real easy for someone to spend $1000s on repairs, especially if they're not able or capable of being a shadetree mechanic. Heck, just new brakes (1 of the long list of items) all around for someone taking it to a shop, is an easy 4 figure bill.

Thousands...
Possible...yes.
Likely....no.

You hear stories of people buying new units and getting stuck with thousands in bills.

If it really worries you, pay a mechanic to go over the drivetrain.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/21 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Would be real easy for someone to spend $1000s on repairs, especially if they're not able or capable of being a shadetree mechanic. Heck, just new brakes (1 of the long list of items) all around for someone taking it to a shop, is an easy 4 figure bill.

Thousands...
Possible...yes.
Likely....no.

You hear stories of people buying new units and getting stuck with thousands in bills.

Has nothing to do with people getting "stuck" with repairs on new RVs. The RV portion usually has a year warranty, so stands to reason anything needed after a year is $ out of pocket. But the chassis has a factory warranty.

If you cannot recognize the additional maint and repair that a vehicle needs between 100k and 200k compared to 0-100k, and the additional expense of having everything done at a shop, then I wouldn't expect you to agree with me.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/21 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Thousands...
Possible...yes.
Likely....no.

Has nothing to do with people getting "stuck" with repairs on new RVs. The RV portion usually has a year warranty, so stands to reason anything needed after a year is $ out of pocket. But the chassis has a factory warranty.

If you cannot recognize the additional maint and repair that a vehicle needs between 100k and 200k compared to 0-100k, and the additional expense of having everything done at a shop, then I wouldn't expect you to agree with me.

Correct and based on experience, I don't agree with you.

Your theory made sense back in the 50-60's when 100k was all you could expect out of a drivetrain before it was shot. Modern drivetrains, no reason to expect huge costs buying around 100k miles unless there are signs of problems ahead of time.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/21 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome aboard the ti. All is good.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/21 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cheeze1 wrote:

FOLKS, THANK YOU all for your input. We just had a long talk and as much as we loved our RV, our lives have changed to where it would not work for us. We appreciate all the kind advice and wish all of you luck and safe travels!

I can’t tell if this response means you just decided you’re not getting another RV or what.
But best of luck either way!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/21 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Thousands...
Possible...yes.
Likely....no.

Correct and based on experience, I don't agree with you.

Your theory made sense back in the 50-60's when 100k was all you could expect out of a drivetrain before it was shot. Modern drivetrains, no reason to expect huge costs buying around 100k miles unless there are signs of problems ahead of time.

I’m not talking about the drivetrain itself. Engine, trans, rear end.
I’m talking about everything else. And the cost for a hands off person to have all the repairs and maintenance done at a shop.
Short list of expected repairs/maint between 100-200k.
U joints
Shocks
Brakes (full meal deal including rotors)
Front end (tie rods ball joints etc)
Major fluid flushes/ replacement. All of them.
Tune up. You get to be the first one to pull a set of Ford spark plugs at 100k if you buy a Ford. (Good luck, you’ll need it)
Alternator
Water pump maybe
Tires batteries

Not saying it costs more than a new or newer low mile rig, but the bulk of the above things are pretty much a certainty and if you add up all that including shop rates, you’re greatly mistaken that it won’t be $5k or more, easily.
If you do all your own work you may not understand or if you are a don’t fix it until it’s really broke, you may not but should understand and add towing bills or AAA to the cost as well.
Or maybe your mythical 100k+ mile RV or truck has magically had all that stuff replaced before the rental company dumped it for a new one.
Why do you think they sell them?? Lol. Just run those numbers. They’re not in the business of spending more than it takes to achieve max revenue.

But like most discussions here, I suspect you understand, but cannot accept any opinions that differ from your own.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Possible return to RV life
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.