Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Possible return to RV life
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Possible return to RV life

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/21 12:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cheeze1 wrote:

Revising my original question, our wish list would be not to go any longer than 25’ because the 23’ Trail Lite we had was very flexible for smaller areas. We strongly prefer a rear bed and at least 1 slide.
Our budget is around $40k.
I do have concern about high mileage vehicles.

When you say "rear bed", which kind do you mean a . . .

SIDE BED

[image]

OR

an ISLAND BED

[image]

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 gasser)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 gasser)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/21 04:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cheeze1 wrote:

Thanks! I did a quick look at a few new ones and it seems like a 22-25’ Class C is around $80,000?

RV prices are up due to covid related sales.

I'm betting things settle down by next summer.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/21 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

TechWriter wrote:

IAMICHABOD wrote:

Welcome Back!
Since you have been away you may not have seen a long running THREAD that may be of interest and another avenue to explore,more than 140 members here have done it and were very happy with their decision.

OP wants a RV with a slide. I believe all the used Cruise America Class Cs are slideless.

Cruise America is not the only place to buy a Former Rental.

Here is one example and there are others.

One slide,rear bed and 26Ft pretty close to what the OP was looking for.[emoticon]

Notice how they 'conveniently' leave off the mileage. After all, why would mileage be important to anyone??!! [emoticon]

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/21 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wrote "Notice how they 'conveniently' leave off the mileage. After all, why would mileage be important to anyone??"

Having wrenched for a career i can honestly say i would choose a vehicle with high mileage and a detailed maintenance program over something " we tried to change the oil before every trip" or what's a fuel filter" Or my neighbor said .........

My understanding rentals come with details from day one. 100K miles on today's engines is their break in period. The days of engines giving out at 100k is long gone.
trannys the same thing, unless you buy into the "flush" idea which causes more damage than good. My friend jerry, who owned a shop for 35 years heard it toooo many times. "I just had it flushed, what could go wrong".
Plenty. Don't do it.

And purchasing a used unit from a dealer is scary. No maintenance logs, most likely came from an auction or repo. If your rig is getting repo'ed would you maintain it?
Can't make the payment again honey but did you get the oil changed? Choose wisely.

And yes the market is very strong for sellers. Newbies getting into the market to go on adventures. I took advantage of that with 2 of my vehicles and did very well.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/21 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Our budget is around $40k

I wish you luck in this market today !

cheeze1

Morristown, NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/21 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Klutch, thanks for the info. I’m the owner of my second 2002 Corvette and an active forum member for years and I see similar statements as yours constantly. If were to entertain a higher mileage one I could be looking at something in my budget range.
As for the coach, I’m an obsessed DIY’er from a family of varied skills and I’m proud to say I absorbed everything I could from my Dad and his brothers. I was also an Industrial Arts Teacher. This is my ‘windy’ way of saying unless the coach is a wreck, I’m not worried about repairs or reconfiguration.
Do you have a brand preference for the cab?

Chas Morristown, NJ
Trail Lite

">

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/21 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klutchdust wrote:

wrote "Notice how they 'conveniently' leave off the mileage. After all, why would mileage be important to anyone??"

Having wrenched for a career i can honestly say i would choose a vehicle with high mileage and a detailed maintenance program over something " we tried to change the oil before every trip" or what's a fuel filter" Or my neighbor said .........

My understanding rentals come with details from day one. 100K miles on today's engines is their break in period. The days of engines giving out at 100k is long gone.
trannys the same thing, unless you buy into the "flush" idea which causes more damage than good. My friend jerry, who owned a shop for 35 years heard it toooo many times. "I just had it flushed, what could go wrong".
Plenty. Don't do it.

And purchasing a used unit from a dealer is scary. No maintenance logs, most likely came from an auction or repo. If your rig is getting repo'ed would you maintain it?
Can't make the payment again honey but did you get the oil changed? Choose wisely.

To the high mileage remarks, yes, I agree, 100k is generally nowhere near the end of the useful life of major truck drivetrain components. However, having "wrenched for a career", certainly you recognize that engine and transmission rebuilds are not your day to day bread n butter. But at 100k miles, there is a plethora of other maintenance or repairs that can or will come due. I could start a list, but you know what I'm talking about and it would be a long list.
Would be real easy for someone to spend $1000s on repairs, especially if they're not able or capable of being a shadetree mechanic. Heck, just new brakes (1 of the long list of items) all around for someone taking it to a shop, is an easy 4 figure bill.

Another consideration is how long they plan on owning it, how many miles will be put on and equity/resale ability. I could make the case of driving a 100k mile rig "into the ground" figuratively speaking as being the most cost effective, but it is not for many.
Nevermind the subjective considerations like having a high mile, worn out or "broke in" bare bones ex-rental rig.
Notwithstanding how people care for rentals, regardless of whether the rental agency is performing timely oil changes.

In short, there is some merit to buying a high mile rental and the potential cost savings it provides, but the coin is not 1 sided.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/21 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And I would almost never buy used form a dealer, especially used high miles, without very careful consideration.

Private party is the way to go, not only for the (hopeful) cost savings, but the ability to glean info on the previous owner and their propensity for taking care of their belongings, RV included.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/21 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

klutchdust wrote:

Plenty. Don't do it.

To the high mileage remarks, yes, I agree, 100k is generally nowhere near the end of the useful life of major truck drivetrain components. However, having "wrenched for a career", certainly you recognize that engine and transmission rebuilds are not your day to day bread n butter. But at 100k miles, there is a plethora of other maintenance or repairs that can or will come due. I could start a list, but you know what I'm talking about and it would be a long list.
Would be real easy for someone to spend $1000s on repairs, especially if they're not able or capable of being a shadetree mechanic. Heck, just new brakes (1 of the long list of items) all around for someone taking it to a shop, is an easy 4 figure bill.

Another consideration is how long they plan on owning it, how many miles will be put on and equity/resale ability. I could make the case of driving a 100k mile rig "into the ground" figuratively speaking as being the most cost effective, but it is not for many.
Nevermind the subjective considerations like having a high mile, worn out or "broke in" bare bones ex-rental rig.
Notwithstanding how people care for rentals, regardless of whether the rental agency is performing timely oil changes.

In short, there is some merit to buying a high mile rental and the potential cost savings it provides, but the coin is not 1 sided.

Or to put it succinctly, why would the rental places just get rid of what you are purporting to be "just past it's breakin period"?
Answer: It's more economical for them to sell while it retains some value AND not deal with the expense and downtime due to repairs that you are not recognizing as a real consideration.

cheeze1

Morristown, NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/21 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are ‘flexible’ as to bed location. Seems like the ones with rear beds (island) are usually with longer coaches. Either way, we prefer a bed that is sortof ‘permanent’ rather than a jackknife, which we eventually abandoned when I rebuilt the interior into a version of the “Built for 2” with permanent beds on each side.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Possible return to RV life
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.