Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Leave propane on while driving?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > Leave propane on while driving?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/18/21 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike134 wrote:

HMMMM building codes allow gas hot water heaters in garages provided they are at least 18" above the garage floor. I'm guessing they think there might be gas fumes or gasoline stored in the garage. Just an FYI before all the internet horror stories start.
+1

Just be careful when refueling in an enclosed and unvented space. And put the fuel in the tank without directly spraying the fridge or water heater vent [emoticon]


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

Senior Member

Joined: 12/04/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/18/21 09:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine stays on 24/7/365.


1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler


MDKMDK

Lockdown Gulag

Senior Member

Joined: 10/15/2008

View Profile



Posted: 08/18/21 10:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike134 wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

Not a good idea, particularly when refueling. I wouldn't do it, but many do, and that's why I try to avoid refueling when there's another RV/motorhome at a nearby pump island. I'm never in that much of a hurry.

https://rvlife.com/rv-propane-system-explode/

https://www.saanichnews.com/news/explodi........between-qualicum-beach-and-port-alberni/

https://www.api.org/oil-and-natural-gas/........ion/consumer-resources/staying-safe-pump

https://heartlandowners.org/threads/rv-fire-at-a-gas-station.15213/


HMMMM building codes allow gas hot water heaters in garages provided they are at least 18" above the garage floor. I'm guessing they think there might be gas fumes or gasoline stored in the garage. Just an FYI before all the internet horror stories start.


HMMMM, what do building codes about water heaters in garages (btw, they're water heaters, not "hot water heaters". If the water is already hot, it doesn't need to be heated) have to do with refueling at a gas/fuel stop, with active ignition sources in your vehicle(s)? Take your time, I'll wait. [emoticon]


Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

2112

Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2011

View Profile



Posted: 08/19/21 04:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

Mike134 wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

Not a good idea, particularly when refueling. I wouldn't do it, but many do, and that's why I try to avoid refueling when there's another RV/motorhome at a nearby pump island. I'm never in that much of a hurry.

https://rvlife.com/rv-propane-system-explode/

https://www.saanichnews.com/news/explodi........between-qualicum-beach-and-port-alberni/

https://www.api.org/oil-and-natural-gas/........ion/consumer-resources/staying-safe-pump

https://heartlandowners.org/threads/rv-fire-at-a-gas-station.15213/


HMMMM building codes allow gas hot water heaters in garages provided they are at least 18" above the garage floor. I'm guessing they think there might be gas fumes or gasoline stored in the garage. Just an FYI before all the internet horror stories start.


HMMMM, what do building codes about water heaters in garages (btw, they're water heaters, not "hot water heaters". If the water is already hot, it doesn't need to be heated) have to do with refueling at a gas/fuel stop, with active ignition sources in your vehicle(s)? Take your time, I'll wait. [emoticon]
I believe his point is gas vapor is heavier than air and tends to stay low to the ground. A home water heater has to be above 18" in a somewhat confined space to reduce an ignition source. Most RV fridge ignition sources are 36" or higher in open air. The chance of an amount of gas vapor large enough to ignite reaching your fridge at an open air, outdoor gas station is extremely small. Just because you can smell gas doesn't mean it's at a large enough concentration to burn.

My house water heater is inside the house, not in the garage, and still has to be at least 18" off the floor with an adequate drain pan under it to meet code.

As far as traveling with the propane and fridge on, think about it. If it was a true hazard DOT would outlaw it. It's already outlawed in certain conditions such as traveling through a tunnel or on a ferry. The rapid release valve on the tank should shut off if my gas line breaks. If DOT doesn't see it as a hazard, why should I?

* This post was edited 08/19/21 04:28am by 2112 *


2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857


valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/19/21 04:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Mike134 wrote:

HMMMM building codes allow gas hot water heaters in garages provided they are at least 18" above the garage floor. I'm guessing they think there might be gas fumes or gasoline stored in the garage. Just an FYI before all the internet horror stories start.
+1

Just be careful when refueling in an enclosed and unvented space. And put the fuel in the tank without directly spraying the fridge or water heater vent [emoticon]


This.

We don't turn it off while driving and typically fill up while the trailer is in a camp site.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


Mike134

Elgin, IL

Senior Member

Joined: 11/20/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/19/21 05:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

Mike134 wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

Not a good idea, particularly when refueling. I wouldn't do it, but many do, and that's why I try to avoid refueling when there's another RV/motorhome at a nearby pump island. I'm never in that much of a hurry.

https://rvlife.com/rv-propane-system-explode/

https://www.saanichnews.com/news/explodi........between-qualicum-beach-and-port-alberni/



https://www.api.org/oil-and-natural-gas/........ion/consumer-resources/staying-safe-pump

https://heartlandowners.org/threads/rv-fire-at-a-gas-station.15213/


HMMMM building codes allow gas hot water heaters in garages provided they are at least 18" above the garage floor. I'm guessing they think there might be gas fumes or gasoline stored in the garage. Just an FYI before all the internet horror stories start.


HMMMM, what do building codes about water heaters in garages (btw, they're water heaters, not "hot water heaters". If the water is already hot, it doesn't need to be heated) have to do with refueling at a gas/fuel stop, with active ignition sources in your vehicle(s)? Take your time, I'll wait. [emoticon]


Read the post following yours to help you understand.

Safe travels. Don't wait I passed you a long time ago.

* This post was last edited 08/19/21 08:53am by Mike134 *   View edit history


2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/19/21 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL. This again? I'm 65 years old. I have never seen an explosion in a gas station caused by an RV refrigerator pilot flame. How many have ACTUALLY seen the this happen? Cell phones too?

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 07/13/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/19/21 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We don't for safety purposes and never having to remember to shut the propane off when refueling. Fortunately we have a solar setup and set the fridge to run off the inverter when we are on the road.


2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!


DrewE

Vermont

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/19/21 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

LOL. This again? I'm 65 years old. I have never seen an explosion in a gas station caused by an RV refrigerator pilot flame. How many have ACTUALLY seen the this happen? Cell phones too?


I've never seen a fire of any sort at a gas station, but that doesn't mean they don't happen, or that taking reasonable precautions (and ones required by law in most places, such as extinguishing open flames like the fridge burner and shutting down the engine(s) and not smoking) are silly or ill-advised. I can only assume fires would be a little more common if fewer people obeyed these rules.





my440

Monashees British Columbia

Full Member

Joined: 09/22/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/19/21 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your involved in an accident and smell propane from a ruptured line, your unable or a passenger is unable to free themselves that question may be answered in no time at all.





Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

 > Leave propane on while driving?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.