Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: old diesel fuel in tank
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> old diesel fuel in tank

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/21 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Yes, fuel polishing (common on diesel boats because of the same storage issue) is an alternative.

That will remove water, microbes, dirt etc.

That is what the fuel filters and water separator is for. You have the systems already installed on the vehicle.

schmitts711

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/21 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

Quote:

Yes, fuel polishing (common on diesel boats because of the same storage issue) is an alternative.

That is what the fuel filters and water separator is for. You have the systems already installed on the vehicle.

Not sure what a mobile fuel polishing service would cost, but I'd have to compare that to the cost and trouble of replacing my fuel filters a couple times. Might it not be easier and cheaper to have the fuel polishing done (if I can locate a mobile service)?

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/21 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schmitts711 wrote:

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

As it has been said, if it smells ok, just top it off and then drive it off, or at least as much as you can.

I would highly advise having spare filters.

I'm not sure I could tell you what good diesel smells like. Maybe I'll have someone more knowledgeable take a sniff. But you think I should get some fresh diesel in it right away?

Not necessarily right away, just before you use it. Fuel lasts much longer than gasoline, so it wouldn't concern me. My advice for the biocide was a CYA thing, as it is possible for some growth and it will plug your filters if you have it, but again, you may not.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

schmitts711

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wolfe10 wrote:

It will not "cure" diesel that has "turned". Smell fresh diesel, then smell from your fuel fill. We are not talking about a subtle difference!

Yes, we FEEL you will be fine. But would sure hate for our long-distance opinion to lead you into an expensive repair.

Got a chance to sniff my tank today, and it smelled like fuel to me. I didn't pick up any hints of algae or decay.

schmitts711

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/21 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

Quote:

I think and pray you're right pastor. Can't get out until early October, but hope my filters do the job they were intended for. Taking spares just in case.

schmitts711

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/21 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just wanted everyone to know that I took the Journey out yesterday and everything was fine. I wanted to burn off as much of the old fuel as I could so I drove out a rural expressway for an hour and then an hour back, running my AC and generator the whole way. When I got back home I was down to a quarter tank. I filled up with fresh diesel and a 'shock dose' of Biobar. The Lord was good to me. So were the other posters here and I thank you all for taking the time to give me advice. I learned a lot about diesel along the way.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/21 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Baring algae diesel lasts a long time

The one that amazed me was a gasser.. Sat for years... Fired up and ran like new after we put a new chassis battery in it.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/21 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good to hear.

We just returned from a 2,200+ mile trip, topped off 2 miles from the house and put it away for the season. Unless something changes it won't come out of the garage for around 7 months. I have zero concern about the diesel going bad.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

schmitts711

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/21 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

Good to hear.

We just returned from a 2,200+ mile trip, topped off 2 miles from the house and put it away for the season. Unless something changes it won't come out of the garage for around 7 months. I have zero concern about the diesel going bad.

I've owned our Journey since '17 and never even heard of problems with water or algae after storage. But the pandemic set us back a year and the rig ended up sitting for 2 years with only half a tank. I looked into possible issues with the fuel when I fired up the generator and it started surging. That's when I investigated and found out that... oops!, should have put an additive in. Apparently Cummins builds their machines to withstand owner neglect. I'm thankful!

schmitts711

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/21 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Baring algae diesel lasts a long time

The one that amazed me was a gasser.. Sat for years... Fired up and ran like new after we put a new chassis battery in it.

I think what saved me was the long period of time that temperatures don't rise to a level that will support algae growth in our northern latitude. Plus my storage site isn't exposed to a lot of intense Sun. I couldn't even find a mobile fuel cleaning service. Not sure if the same applies with storing gassers... but at least there's an apparent advantage to a cold climate with diesel!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> old diesel fuel in tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.