Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Traction control systems and trailer sway bars
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Traction control systems and trailer sway bars

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/21 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Grit. Will depend on the combo and how it tows without. Also read the complete towing section of the owners' manual as there could be more details than the marketing brochure. Some truck hitches want the weight distribution etc. to go over 5,000 pounds trailer weight. Plenty of larger trailers tow just fine with just a pintle hook.

Give it a go and post the results.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

ognend

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/21 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

I agree with Grit. Will depend on the combo and how it tows without. Also read the complete towing section of the owners' manual as there could be more details than the marketing brochure. Some truck hitches want the weight distribution etc. to go over 5,000 pounds trailer weight. Plenty of larger trailers tow just fine with just a pintle hook.

I've been towing this trailer since 2007 with 4 different trucks (1/2 ton, 2 3/4 ton diesels and now a 1-ton DRW cab/chassis) - I always used the same adjustable WD/sway-bar hitch since the trailer has been the same trailer since 2007. I was just hoping to see if I can do without the anti-sway bar on the trailer/hitch and maybe without the weight distribution as well. The trailer has a GVWR of 7,000lbs and my current truck is 8800lbs. I read my towing section of the truck manual and I understand about weight distribution in trailer and need to have 10-15% of trailer weight on the hitch.

--
2021 Chevrolet 3500 DRW Cab&Chassis crew cab 4x4 6.6L gas with 9ft4" flatbed
2021 Palomino HS-2902 Max truck camper
2007 Double D all steel 2-horse bumper pull trailer

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/21 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will work but not as well as a properly set up trailer with a good hitch weight and a WDH with sway control.

One problem is if it is activated a lot, you will wear out brakes and burn more fuel...so better than losing control but not a good plan for every day towing.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/21 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ognend wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Why do you need it? If the answer is because your trailer tows poorly and is all over the road, then absolutely you cannot get rid of it. Why would you want your vehicle trying to compensate for a schitty handling trailer with its own brakes ALL the time?

However, if the answer is you do not know why you need it, perhaps only because someone said it was required, then you most likely dont need it nor did you ever need it, regardless of what fancy features the truck has.

I am not sure why these angry tones - it was a simple question. I put on weight distribution/anti sway hitch on my trailer because it is cheap insurance but this was back in 2007 when I had a 1500 truck (1/2 ton). Now I have a truck that weighs more than the trailer and a truck that has all this fancy new stuff like traction control, stabilitrak etc. So, I thought I ask. Excuse me for ruining your day up there on the pedestal of towing Gods. Jeez.

Well said

* This post was edited 08/29/21 10:10pm by NamMedevac 70 *

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/21 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The factory sway control system works by applying the trailer brakes. I would prefer a sway bar to regular brake applications.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/21 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ognend wrote:

time2roll wrote:

I've been towing this trailer since 2007 with 4 different trucks (1/2 ton, 2 3/4 ton diesels and now a 1-ton DRW cab/chassis) - I always used the same adjustable WD/sway-bar hitch since the trailer has been the same trailer since 2007. I was just hoping to see if I can do without the anti-sway bar on the trailer/hitch and maybe without the weight distribution as well. The trailer has a GVWR of 7,000lbs and my current truck is 8800lbs. I read my towing section of the truck manual and I understand about weight distribution in trailer and need to have 10-15% of trailer weight on the hitch.

I don't think anyone can definitively say if it will work well or not with your particular combination.

If you sense more sway or do not like the control effort by the vehicle it will be very simple to put the old equipment back on.

Don't head into a gusty cross wind at 70+ on the first try.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/21 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

It will work but not as well as a properly set up trailer with a good hitch weight and a WDH with sway control.

One problem is if it is activated a lot, you will wear out brakes and burn more fuel...so better than losing control but not a good plan for every day towing.

I have pondered the same. Just set the wdh with a tad bit of weight and make use of the sway controll. I upgraded to a 2500, i dont need a wdh hitch or sway controll either. But i still ise it because, i have it , and it can help. Tbh, this last trip it probably saved my ass. Going over the Delaware bridge, at like 55 mph, a large garbage can type construction cone was shot in front of me. I swerved a bit, not much as there was cars in both lanes on my side. I hot it with the truck on the front left. It cam back at me and hit the TT on the front left. If i dint have the equilizer i think i may not have controlled the sway from the impact. Trailer, lucky had minor damage, ripped the bolts of the bottom of the dimond plate, and took out the electric break wires. Use the hitch. Its not just about minimums. It can save you a wreck. And maybe your life. While this dosen't happen often it can happen. And i dont know for sure that the wdh/sway saved me. But i will say i think it did.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

ognend

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 04:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

I have pondered the same. Just set the wdh with a tad bit of weight and make use of the sway controll. I upgraded to a 2500, i dont need a wdh hitch or sway controll either. But i still ise it because, i have it , and it can help. Tbh, this last trip it probably saved my ass. Going over the Delaware bridge, at like 55 mph, a large garbage can type construction cone was shot in front of me. I swerved a bit, not much as there was cars in both lanes on my side. I hot it with the truck on the front left. It cam back at me and hit the TT on the front left. If i dint have the equilizer i think i may not have controlled the sway from the impact. Trailer, lucky had minor damage, ripped the bolts of the bottom of the dimond plate, and took out the electric break wires. Use the hitch. Its not just about minimums. It can save you a wreck. And maybe your life. While this dosen't happen often it can happen. And i dont know for sure that the wdh/sway saved me. But i will say i think it did.

Thanks for relaying your experience - I am one of those people who is always checking and double checking and understanding weight limits,distribution and erring on side of caution. This thread was more to see if TCS and Stabilitrak made the hardware in the back obsolete (I guess not!). One thing I dislike is the WD bars on my hitch, since I got this new flatbed DRW cab/chassis, in full-radius turns the back of the flatbed is low enough to hit the WD bar and hence limit my turning radius. This is is what really started the ball rolling on getting rid of WD and sway bar... [emoticon]

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 05:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would always use WD at minimum. I would running less than a Dual Cam system. My Explorer has the trailer sway control. Towing my 3 place snowmobile trailer I went over an ice covered section of road once, and you could feel the sway control working, the trailer had no trailer brakes as it was under 2k lbs. the system works, but I would want something working before I need the vehicles sway control.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ognend wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Sorry, not angry, just presented a couple scenarios where you would or wouldn’t need trailer sway or wdh.
In the 14ish years you’ve towed the same trailer, with now 4 different trucks, and just blindly hooked up the wdh because you thought it was “needed”, now you’re asking if it’s needed.
Have you once towed it without the wdh and or sway control? How did it handle?
Therein lies your answer.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Traction control systems and trailer sway bars
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.