Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Air Shocks or Air Bags on TT
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Air Shocks or Air Bags on TT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Rbertalotto

Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/21 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

but I don't see them helping with side to side leveling like you initially asked.

Really, Having the ability to raise one side or the other with a device between the chassis and the axles is difficult to comprehend? It's EXACTLY the same thing as driving up on some boards to level the RV side to side.....

RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2018 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
420w Solar / Bogart SC2030 / Trimetrics

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/21 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ I think it may be, as this is not at all a common modification. I’m sure it’s been done by someone, somewhere, maybe. In theory it sounds plausible.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/21 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Holy heck, that’s some gnarly tongue weight though!
Not your question, but have you weighed the whole trailer? 2 sets of broken springs and a real world tongue weight that is almost 3x greater than the published dry tongue weight?
I’m pretty new to toy haulers, but my trailer is basically twice the (dry) weight as yours and the tongue weight is similar.
Just food for thought.

Rbertalotto

Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/21 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This last post sounded a bit rude....I didn't mean it to sound like that. Just trying to explain a bit better at what I'm trying to accomplish....Sorry... :-(

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/21 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My experience is loaded heavy, even over rated capacity is less likely to break springs than light load. Worn pins/hangers make things worse.
As for side to side leveling? Most bags I have been around are designed to carry the load with a limited travel.
BTW, have you checked the TW since you lifted the trailer? Or did you lift the ball as much?

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/21 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rbertalotto wrote:

Quote:

but I don't see them helping with side to side leveling like you initially asked.

Really, Having the ability to raise one side or the other with a device between the chassis and the axles is difficult to comprehend? It's EXACTLY the same thing as driving up on some boards to level the RV side to side.....

Assuming you mean leveling when parked, that's greatly different from air bags for running down the road. I had presumed based on your original post, that you had issues while towing that you were trying to fix.

If it's towing fine and you are breaking springs...again, go down to the CAT and get the full weights. Yes, hitch weight is better than nothing but better to get the full picture...particularly the axle weights if you are breaking springs.

In theory if you put in air bags with separate air systems on each side, you could do a bit of leveling with it...I'm guessing that there may be other issues. If it was that simple, I would expect they would be commonly in use but they aren't.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Rbertalotto

Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/21 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I would expect they would be commonly in use but they aren't.

I'm sure it has to do with cost more than anything else. Most trailers (caravans they are called down under) from Australia have this feature and there are three or four aftermarket companies that will convert your leaf springs to air. YouTube is full of videos on it. But at $4K to $6K it is too expensive for a simple $30K travel trailer...

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/21 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rbertalotto wrote:

Quote:

I would expect they would be commonly in use but they aren't.

I'm sure it has to do with cost more than anything else. Most trailers (caravans they are called down under) from Australia have this feature and there are three or four aftermarket companies that will convert your leaf springs to air. YouTube is full of videos on it. But at $4K to $6K it is too expensive for a simple $30K travel trailer...

Wow, airbags for pickups in the states are a few hundred bucks...but again what else are they adding to make it viable as a stationary leveling system.

Of course, hydraulic leveling systems are a few thousand and quite common, so I doubt it's a cost issue.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/21 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rbertalotto wrote:

A few additional comments to my original post....
The trailer I have is a Forest River 19RR TOY HAULER.....The load varies immensely...with water and motorcycle, upwards of 1000# +/-....The triler has a payload rating of somewhere around 3000#...
I've already replaced the equalizer with Dexter EZ-Flex equalizers and all wet bolts with bronze bushings ....HUGE IMPROVEMENT!
This trailer has already broken two leaf springs. And both times with no motorcycle aboard. I'm convinced the factory springs were not rated properly. Three weeks ago I replaced all the springs, brakes, bearings and races....and welded on new spring perches and flipped the axle to below the springs, giving me more room for my airbags/air shocks. With both devices I can simply run them at 10psi and they will have no effect on the original suspension. And using them to quickly level the trailer at a rest stop for an overnight would be a tremendous benefit. This trailer already has a heavy duty Vair compressor and 5 gallon air tank so the issue of "air" is no issue.
Still need to decide on air shocks or air bags......I'm absolutely going to do one or the other.
I am VERY interested in what you do. I have been considering bags myself. Mainly for the ability to raise the trailer for ground clearance when needed getting into a boondocking site. I cannot raise it permanently as it is already at 13'6", and bridges could be an issue.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1380watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountryC CD/A 4X4 DRW

Rbertalotto

Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/21 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntingdog....Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eSLziCasz4

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

> Air Shocks or Air Bags on TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.