Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Shaw Direct in Florida
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Shaw Direct in Florida

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
campinghut

Carstairs Alberta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/22 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So by digital home ca we might be loosing the rest of the channels by the end of December. I am wondering what other snowbirds are doing as I will be keeping shaw direct while in Canada anyways. I just hate to loose my Traveler on the RV as I use it in Canada.

Tim And Bev
2018 Mobile Suites 38RSSA, 560w solar, 2800w inverter (3 previous Artic fox trailers, 1 Cedar Creek, 1 Heartland Cyclone. In the last 8 Years)
2022 F350 (Previous trucks 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020 all Ford F350's)

joebedford

Made It!

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/22 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, F2 is 17 years into its 15 year life forecast. It was expected to last until 2025 but it's using fuel faster than expected and will probably only last until the end of this year.

Once F2 is gone the only sat. Shaw Direct will have is G1 which is aimed at Canada - no Shaw Direct channels will be available in southern USA. (unless Shaw can scrounge another sat. that covers USA) but I seriously doubt that they're even going to attempt that.

Most recent development is that they're transferring channels to G1 but using a new compression algorithm to make all the channels fit. Unfortunately the 6XX series of receivers will not handle the new compression algorithm. I managed to swap one of my (owned) 630 PVRs for a rent free 830 PVR. It will handle the new compression but when F2 is gone, Shaw Direct is gone down south.

I dunno what we're going to do for TV after that. Maybe VPN? Maybe stop travelling? There's no good solution for snowbirds.

campinghut

Carstairs Alberta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/22 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been wondering the same thing but on the other side of the country Arizona. It looks like, to have enough cell data, I will be going with a VPN and starlink. I am still looking for options though.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Shaw Direct in Florida
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.