Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: "Use Both Lanes Until Merge Point"
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> "Use Both Lanes Until Merge Point"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/21 02:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

Since this is a RV site, I hope none of you merge at the last point with your RV.

Although I suspect there are a few who would.

Mike

If the law and the signs say to use both lanes until it’s time to merge then that is what should be done!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/21 02:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

Since this is a RV site, I hope none of you merge at the last point with your RV.

Although I suspect there are a few who would.

Mike

Good post!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/21 02:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The sign says "lane ends merge", it doesn't say "lane ends merge but wait til the end and force your way over.

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/21 04:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've not seen a "Use both lanes" or a "merge here" sign.

I do see lane ends in "x feet"

If Im with my RV and I see that, I merge when it's safe to do so, not wait until the end. I don't have enough faith in fellow drivers to allow this zipper effect to actually happen towing a 40 ft trailer.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/21 04:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

The sign says "lane ends merge", it doesn't say "lane ends merge but wait til the end and force your way over.
At the point of merge I believe the other vehicles should open a space.

Yes unfortunately they did 1/4 mile back and let in 3 vehicles and people keep sliding up the side and then at the end they are tired of all the cutting in and make it hard for the person doing the right thing.

Most people just don't get how this should work.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/21 04:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have always tried to merge early but.. yes. that is what they tell us. When doing a 'zipper merge' (what it is called when 2 lanes become 1) don't merge till you have to.

Of course you can always do what one Ten T did (more than one I'm sure) He drove around the construction barrels and took the closed lane... Till he spotted the state troopers. Well the troopers had spotted him some time before he saw them so he suddenly cut into the open lane, dang near causing a multi-car crash. and then ..... Pulled over and got his ticket. (After he passed the Blue Car that is) .. Oh yes.

Or the idiot who ran the shoulder... Well I like to hang a bit right so I can look through several cars instead of just the back of the head of the person in front of me so he had to edge over a bit more when he passed me. Unbeknownst to both of us a piece of metal stuck in the grass where it abutted the shoulder took out both his right side tires.

I've more.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/21 05:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

I'm a traffic engineer who sets up maintenance of traffic plans as part of my work.

It depends.

Under light traffic conditions where traffic is continuing to move smoothly, merge as soon as you get the chance and don't try to fly past everyone. Doing so and then forcing a merge at the last second causes additional congestion, delay and crashes.

Where the signs are used, is typically where traffic is heavy and significant backups are expected. If traffic backs up too far, it can block off up stream ramps causing more problems. In that case, lining up in both lanes reduces the overall queue length and the associated issues.

It's essentially the lessor of two evils.

Playing traffic cop is rarely a good idea but playing speed racer also isn't a good idea.

PS: The contractor (construction companies) are typically not the ones laying out the plan. They implement what is in the contract.

I am not disputing on what you are saying but will any of us live long enough to see anyone learn to zipper?

Now can you explain how the @#$%^ traffic circles are suppose to be so great?

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/21 05:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RedRollingRoadblock wrote:

There have been two traffic circles about 5 miles apart added near our upstate NY cottage in the past 5-6 years. Both are at intersections with a long history of frequent fender benders and even a few fatalities, mostly from folks trying to beat the lights. In the time the circles have been open, there has been just one minor fender bender caused by someone not knowing what "YIELD" means. Even better, the previous the twice daily long traffic backups at the now gone traffic lights have been nearly eliminated. At peak times, it's unusual now to see more than 6-7 cars backed up for brief periods. Even the former public naysayers have come around and admitted they're working well.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/21 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

At the point of merge I believe the other vehicles should open a space.

Yes unfortunately they did 1/4 mile back and let in 3 vehicles and people keep sliding up the side and then at the end they are tired of all the cutting in and make it hard for the person doing the right thing.

Most people just don't get how this should work.

X2. There should be no “forcing” required since the traffic in the through lane should be properly and courteously making space for every other vehicle. If you choose the longer, slower line early that’s on you.

Lining up early can work when speeds stay near the limit and traffic is light. The situations that cause the most issues are when there is stop and go for 1/2 mile or more.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/21 09:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RedRollingRoadblock wrote:

I am not disputing on what you are saying but will any of us live long enough to see anyone learn to zipper?

I love traffic circles!! But I got used to them in Europe and Great Britain. No stopping, just yield. And they are super for motorcycles, as long as there's no diesel spilled on them. [emoticon]

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> "Use Both Lanes Until Merge Point"
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.