Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: 5er accidents
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5er accidents

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Preaching to the choir?

Even the choir needs some truth every now and then. Remember. They are just part of the congregation.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/21 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sorry, well, not really. If you don't know its back there, something's wrong. I can say my 10,000lb boat and trailer, on the hitch receiver, compared to my 15,000lb FW on a FW hitch, do tow differently, but I always know they are there.

People can get in trouble easily from a lack of skill, speed, poor maintenance, overloading, unseen road hazards, other stoopid drivers, and bad weather (sometimes seems like all the above). My only advice is to match tow vehicles to the load, keep speed reasonable, keep head on a swivel and keep up with maintenance.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think some take the I can't tell it there approach and become too comfortable
going down the road.
On a good clear light traffic day its easy to get too comfortable.
Being too comfortable quickly turns into being careless.
Throw in bad conditions, a twisty road, blind spot or a sudden stop and suddenly you have an accident.
Having a questionable tow vehicle gives one less margin for error when unexpected things happen.
Having the correct tow vehicle should be the first priority. THe correct tow vehicle will give you the maximum safety margin even if that tow vehicle doesn't fit in the garage!... LOL...
Staying alert and attentive to road conditions is the next key to success.
THese simple priciples apply to 5'ers and bumper pullsas well as any oversize vehicle.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/21 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First thing my brother did when he got his Reflection, was to put stickers on his dash, saying height (measured) and width. Both of the truck and the FW. Unfortunately, he may lose it, as his wife is visiting her family in Alberta and she's loving driving it around, setting up, tearing down, dealing with what can be run on a 15a circuit, and just living in it. :-) Yes, she grew up towing a 3-horse trailer with living quarters, so not a newb to towing.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 63 Year Member

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm always amazed at how fast people tow. Like in an area with 70mph speed limit for cars, and 60mph for trucks+trailers, I regularly see people towing RV's (both 5th wheel and bumper tow) at 75mph+, keeping up with the car traffic.

I don't tow, but when I drive my Class C, I generally stick with the truck speed limit... not only is it safer, but the gas mileage is better too. Just because you *can* drive at 75mph, doesn't mean you *should*, or that you can do so safely.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Curious where all these accidents for FW's are in NC. And how is it more than the rest of the US per state? Do you have some data? And you seem to be making some bold assumption of drivers towing FW's as to the causes of the accidents. There could be a million reasons for accidents completely outside the responsibility of the drivers. I just find the post completely presumptuous.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen a couple of TT flipped over lately, and they looked like bigger TT being pulled by 1/2 ton trucks or suv's. These dealers will sell people anything.
I tow my TT on the interstate around 65-68, but I'm amazed how many go flying past me.
I think the amount of power some of these diesels kick out now, they don't strain pulling at 80-85, so people do it.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/21 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rlw999 wrote:

I'm always amazed at how fast people tow. Like in an area with 70mph speed limit for cars, and 60mph for trucks+trailers, I regularly see people towing RV's (both 5th wheel and bumper tow) at 75mph+, keeping up with the car traffic.

I don't tow, but when I drive my Class C, I generally stick with the truck speed limit... not only is it safer, but the gas mileage is better too. Just because you *can* drive at 75mph, doesn't mean you *should*, or that you can do so safely.

Unless there is weather or other conditions coming into play...on a clear dry day, keeping up with traffic is generally safer on freeways.

Truck speed limits are put forth by politicians not traffic engineers.

Now if it's a lightly traveled rural freeway, doing 60-65 isn't a big problem but as traffic builds keeping up so you don't create a rolling road block is safest.

But I'm with the other post asking what data is there that a lot of 5th wheel crashes are happening? I've seen far more bumper pulls in crashes over the years.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Couldn't disagree more on the comments to drive at the speed of traffic.
You see I'm towing and most of the traffic isn't. We should drive at a speed that is manageable by someone who is towing a RV.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/21 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Now if it's a lightly traveled rural freeway, doing 60-65 isn't a big problem but as traffic builds keeping up so you don't create a rolling road block is safest.

So in heavy traffic with all those BMWs, Audis and such, I need to match their speed? I'm driving my speed, deal with it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5er accidents
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.