Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Is there a quiet water pump?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is there a quiet water pump?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been increasing the amount of boondock camping we are doing so I started carrying a 35 gallon water tank in the truck. Currently using a drill pump with intentions to buy a 12V transfer pump some time soon. But that got me thinking... The water pump in our trailer is the typical loud rattling pump. Not a big deal during the da, but a toilet flush in the middle of the night will wake me up (pump is in a compartment in main bedroom). I figured there must be a "high end" and obviously more expensive pump I could install in the camper and then repurpose the existing pump to become my transfer / backup. Is there such an animal? I'm happy to pay a premium for something smooth and relatively quiet. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/21 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Typically it is not the pump that makes the noise, at least not for me. It is the vibration and knocking sounds from the supply lines. That is best fixed with some insulation material.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just trumping here, but you might want to look at the mounting of your existing pump. If mounted solid to a surface, the vibrations of the pump will act just like a magnet in a speaker. Any flex in the lines hooked to pump? If not, the lines can carry the noise, vibrate another "speaker"
Stand of and look at your rig from the side. Is your fresh water tank below the floor of trailer? Is trailer floor below floor of TV bed? Trailer have a gravity fill for the tank, where you can pour water in, or must it be under pressure? Assuming gravity fill, can you slide a hose in far enough to get below the floor of TV? Even if you need a short piece of smaller hose to fit in the fill, just screw together so it doesn't leak. Hose from bottom of transfer tank, into fill. Might need a little air pressure in top of tank (fresh water? Bell, just suck the hose!) to start flow, but siphon can move water pretty easy

phil-t

Ogdensburg, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/21 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

> Is there a quiet water pump?

When it's turned off. :-)

2010 Winnebago Vista 32k on a 2009 Ford F53 22k chassis

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had one once that sounded like a Harley at full throttle...

As mentioned above, the water lines can be a contributing factor. One of mine was loose and it banged against a wall with every surge of the pump. Some oversize plastic pipe clamps and some medium density sponge foam around the water line helped a lot. Also tucking that same foam between the water lines and floor / walls too.

In addition to that, my pump was mounted directly to the floor. I removed the screws, got a square of firm, but not rigid foam / rubber and used it as an insulator to the floor.

It helped a lot but the sound will always be there. You can't get away from the sound of the pump itself.

We leave our pump turned off at night, and don't flush until the morning. No big deal there, a little extra liquid in the bowl until morning.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website
Site is live, finally launched Aug 22, 2021 @ 6:53 PM

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/21 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does your RV have a pressure tank in the system? IN my RV the pump comes on whenever I turn on any water. With a pressure tank installed, you could turn the pump off at night and be able to flush the toilet a couple of times and use the tank pressure to supply water.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

ksbowman

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a noisy pump in a 5th wheel I had. The pump mounted to the floor so I added a rubber pad under it and I added an accumulator tank. It really quieted things down and at night the stool could be flushed several times without the pump coming on.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/21 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I prefer a little noise...

If it's the middle of the night and I hear the pump cycling, I know there is a problem that needs to be sorted out. If it was dead silent, I might not find it until it's flooded the trailer...or worse some hidden place where it soaks things every time we use it until the floor rots out.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

J&R

jefferson,ga

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For now fillup a gallon jug or 2 for night flushes and turn off pump. As others have said, i want hear mine, for leaks. Most hardware stores have quality pumps, much better than rv dealers or online.

Ron & Joanne 06 Revolution LE 40E

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure if there is a quiet pump. But as above there are a couple of ways to make it quieter.

Make sure the pump is mounted on a rubber or soft foam pad.

Cut the PEX tubing near the pump and add some hose clamps and flexible line.

Use some foam and follow the water lines out of the pump. Wedge a piece of foam between the hard lines and the walls and floor.

Add an accumulator tank into the system. An accumulator will allow a flush or two without turning on the pump making for a silent flush. The downside is once the accumulator pressure bleeds off the pump has to run longer to re-pressurize the system.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is there a quiet water pump?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.