Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Is there a quiet water pump?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is there a quiet water pump?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/21 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

If it's the middle of the night and I hear the pump cycling, I know there is a problem that needs to be sorted out. .....

When the temperature in the hot water tank drops, the pump will run to built up pressure. I turn both off at night.

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

I'm not sure if there is a quiet pump. But as above there are a couple of ways to make it quieter.

Make sure the pump is mounted on a rubber or soft foam pad.

Cut the PEX tubing near the pump and add some hose clamps and flexible line.

Use some foam and follow the water lines out of the pump. Wedge a piece of foam between the hard lines and the walls and floor.

Add an accumulator tank into the system. An accumulator will allow a flush or two without turning on the pump making for a silent flush. The downside is once the accumulator pressure bleeds off the pump has to run longer to re-pressurize the system.
Exactly. Except you don't need to cut the tubing. You can buy flexible hose with the fittings at pretty much any hardware store. Your goal is to isolate the vibrating parts from the stationary parts, and use an accumulator to reduce how often the pump runs.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/21 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

If it's the middle of the night and I hear the pump cycling, I know there is a problem that needs to be sorted out. .....

When the temperature in the hot water tank drops, the pump will run to built up pressure. I turn both off at night.

Never had an issue with it.

Probably because we both get up and use the facilities during the night so that resets the pressure.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awesome feedback everyone. After reading these replies about insulating the pipes and mounting on something rubber I googled it and found a bunch of videos saying the same thing. Never considered that. Figured the pump itself was just noisy, but insulation and rubber pad is a cheap and easy thing to try. I'll give that a shot first. Thanks all!

TUCQUALA

Kennewick, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 10:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The pump is not very noisy as made, but (as mentioned by others) the installation and the hard lines inside an RV amplify the minor pump sound!! Example: I am using one (same model as inside our trailer) to pump from a 200 gal tank to the trailer up on our property in NE WA. It is "plumbed" with 3/4" hose from tank and then to trailer. You can stand right next to it and all you hear is a hum from pump!! The trailer pump and lines have been modified and insulated from contact with cabinets and floor, and it is still not near as quiet as the outside pump!!! Better than when delivered, but the basic "rattle" is still there, but reduced to a more acceptable level!!!

'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/21 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just for snots and grins, put your cell phone on vibrate, and lay it on a table. Grab your wife's phone, dial your number.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/21 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksbowman wrote:

I had a noisy pump in a 5th wheel I had. The pump mounted to the floor so I added a rubber pad under it and I added an accumulator tank. It really quieted things down and at night the stool could be flushed several times without the pump coming on.

Having three truck campers and later three 5th wheel rv trailers some pumps were very noisy depending on where and how they were mounted.
I had all types of rubber pads available at work that all had different durometers. From the trash bin I chose a 1/2" thick soft 40 durometer the size of the pumps mounting surface. This cut pump noise 300 percent to super quiet.
The accumulator water tank eliminated constant pump cycling.

Some of the pumps were mounted on a wall and weren't as noisy. My noisy ones were mounted on the plywood flooring.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is there a quiet water pump?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.