Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Help buying a small travel trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Help buying a small travel trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had several entry level travel trailers and the Jaycos have been the best. I currently have a 212QB and a 174bh, The 174bh would probably work for you.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/21 04:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Max-4 wrote:

capacitor wrote:

Does the Highlander have a receiver and 7way plug? Seems like a pop up trailer would be better to start with. Your mirrors will work without replacing them. What size v6, 3 liter? It’s built on the Camry platform.

My 2017 Toyota Highlander AWD has a 3.5L V6 and makes 295hp and 263 lb-ft of torque. It has a max tow rating of 5000 pounds and I do have a proper hitch installed but I will have to upgrade from a 4 way to a 7 way plug and get a trailer brake controller installed, not a problem.

You have plenty of HP, though it likely will be running at higher RPM than you may be used to.

While there is no issue running at 100% of the ratings (the engineers aren't going to recommend unsafe operation), there is more than one rating to consider, Tow Rating is mostly about HP and braking. Payload is where you are likely to run into problems.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/21 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

According to Edmunds, along with your 5000 lb towing capacity, you also have a 1370 lb cargo capacity.
So for a 4000 lb trailer expect 500 to 600 pounds tongue weight. (the hitch is rated for 500)
If you are planning on a weight dist hitch, you are over, if not you will have about 750-800 lbs available for people and gear in your Toyota.
Hope this is helpful.

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/21 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Max-4 wrote:

Can we get some information about build quality with the listed units above? Thanks

A starting point may be to look at warranty, most only offer one year, a few offer two Jayco, K-Z, and a few others have better warranties, and better reviews on their units as well as more devoted fans.
This is a brief rundown on brands and their coverage.
warranties.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/21 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Max-4 wrote:

Can we get some information about build quality with the listed units above? Thanks

Build quality is all over the lot. As said, 2 identical units next to each other can vary greatly in their fit and finish.
All of them will have basically the same appliances such as the fridge, AC, water heater, etc.
I would look at and compare:
Cargo capacity
Fridge size
Tank size, though if going to full service campgrounds, it’s not that important.
Interior and exterior storage
Bath layout. Can you sit on the pot comfortably, turn around in the shower, brush your teeth (some don’t have a separate sink)?
Type of AC. Roof mount is better.
2 tanks of propane
Good luck and happy hunting.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/21 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Max-4 wrote:

A starting point may be to look at warranty, most only offer one year, a few offer two Jayco, K-Z, and a few others have better warranties, and better reviews on their units as well as more devoted fans.
warranties.

Warrantee paperwork makes great TP. Did around on the forum and you'll find tons of stories of RVs sitting at dealers for weeks or months waiting on warranty work.

I wouldn't count on the warrantee reflecting much of anything beyond advertising.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/21 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Max-4 wrote:

So are we saying that I will struggle with a V6 Toyota Highlander with 5000 pounds towing capacity pulling a 3900 pound gross weight 21' travel trailer? I'm not talking dry weight, most of the trailers I quoted above are under 4000 pounds gross weight. Thanks

The term struggle is relative.
Hard to explain to folks who aren’t already kinda saavy with vechiles and trailers, but in general, mid size uni body suv cuv type vechiles aren’t stellar at towing.
Just like pickup trucks aren’t stellar at things Cuvs or sports cars are.

Safety is also relative and not only related to the vehicles abilities but also the drivers experience.
You appear to be on the lower end of both which is what gives some people pause.

That said, there is nothing in your proposed setup is inherently mis matched.
Just know you’re on the upper end of the limits of a vehicle that’s only marginally designed for towing and hauling.

If you’re planning on x country trips, mountains, high altitude etc I would not say the Highlander is well suited at all.
That said, just keeper rubber side down and you’ll be good!

* This post was edited 09/10/21 04:44pm by Grit dog *

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

propchef

NORCAL

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/21 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Max-4 wrote:

warranties.

Warrantee paperwork makes great TP. Did around on the forum and you'll find tons of stories of RVs sitting at dealers for weeks or months waiting on warranty work.

I wouldn't count on the warrantee reflecting much of anything beyond advertising.

Also, most of these "warranties" require you, the owner, to perform certain maintenance items every 3 months (like resealing the roof) or kiss that warranty goodbye. Read them VERY carefully. Very.

Max-4

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/21 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the information guys we just put a downpayment on a 2021 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 7 174bh with fiberglass sides. We got a steal of a deal on it because it was a demo model. I am in Canada so I won't bore you with pricing but we got it for what we are seeing used 2017 and 2018 units selling for on the second hand market.

It is 21'8" long and weighs in at 3075 lbs dry and 3950 lbs gross.

I am going to be putting a weight distribution hitch and 7 pin trailer brake controller on the Highlander. I am happy with this buy, we saw heavier units almost at the max of our specifications but I turned them all down and was rewarded with this deal! Can't wait

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/21 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope that you have good luck with your TT. My family has been travelling for 35 years and 3 of the kids love it, 1 hate it. 2 of our kids have their own camping equipment and spend as much time as possible camping. I hope that your kids and wife enjoy themselves.
While travelling, I do most of the cooking so that my wife gets a vacation also. If she has a good time, things go much better and you may spend much of your life camping and making great memories. If she doe not have a good time, life can be VERRRRY bad. Treat her well. We have been happily together for 35 years.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Help buying a small travel trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.