Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Help buying a small travel trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Help buying a small travel trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Max-4

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So are we saying that I will struggle with a V6 Toyota Highlander with 5000 pounds towing capacity pulling a 3900 pound gross weight 21' travel trailer? I'm not talking dry weight, most of the trailers I quoted above are under 4000 pounds gross weight. Thanks

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/21 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't worry about aluminum siding. We've had both and I prefer aluminum. It's rare to find a fiberglass unit over 5yrs old without delamination. It's not unusual to find 20yr old aluminum trailers where it may look dated but otherwise in perfect condition.

Probably the biggest concern I see with the Wolf Pup is it only has 780lb of cargo capacity. 80lb of propane, 60lb battery and 200lb of water...and you've eaten up 50% of your capacity...For a family of 4 staying under 1200-1500lb takes effort. That means you are will be tempted to put more gear in the truck and overload the truck.

Check the payload sticker on the door (or better swing by a CAT scale and find the real weights and check vs the truck GVWR)...I did a quick online search and 13XXlb payload seems to by typical.
- 4 people at 150lb = 600lb (the kids will grow)
- Hitch weight should be up around 600lb
- Hitch might weigh 100lb
- That's it, don't pack a cooler or anything else in the truck or you are over weight.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you looked at Taylor Coach? They'll build custom (but you'd have to wait for it) and their units are relatively light weight.

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

capacitor

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does the Highlander have a receiver and 7way plug? Seems like a pop up trailer would be better to start with. Your mirrors will work without replacing them. What size v6, 3 liter? It’s built on the Camry platform.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/21 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Max-4 wrote:

So are we saying that I will struggle with a V6 Toyota Highlander with 5000 pounds towing capacity pulling a 3900 pound gross weight 21' travel trailer? I'm not talking dry weight, most of the trailers I quoted above are under 4000 pounds gross weight. Thanks

It may or may not be. You need to determine payload needs and limits for the vehicle, cargo capacity and needs for the trailers (some trailers will use up the cargo capacity just by filling the fresh water tank), road types and terrain, distance, and so on.

You have to look at more than just those two numbers (gvwr and tow capacity) to determine if it will work.

In addition, with four kids in the car, you may not feel comfortable towing something that "pushes" you down a grade. So that may mean going lighter than you are estimating.

You might see about renting or borrowing a trailer of similar weight and size and see how it feels to tow it before making a decision.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Max-4 wrote:

So are we saying that I will struggle with a V6 Toyota Highlander with 5000 pounds towing capacity pulling a 3900 pound gross weight 21' travel trailer?

3900 pounds is almost 80 percent of the Highlander's absolute maximum capacity - and that's before even considering the weight of passengers and their possessions riding in the vehicle.

A lot of folks (including myself) regard 80 percent as being the dividing line between "adequate" and "dangerous under certain conditions".

Also, 21 feet is quite a bit of trailer for a mid-sized SUV. You're definitely going to the effects of crosswinds and passing semi trucks.

Max-4

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

capacitor wrote:

Does the Highlander have a receiver and 7way plug? Seems like a pop up trailer would be better to start with. Your mirrors will work without replacing them. What size v6, 3 liter? It’s built on the Camry platform.

My 2017 Toyota Highlander AWD has a 3.5L V6 and makes 295hp and 263 lb-ft of torque. It has a max tow rating of 5000 pounds and I do have a proper hitch installed but I will have to upgrade from a 4 way to a 7 way plug and get a trailer brake controller installed, not a problem.

Max-4

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can we get some information about build quality with the listed units above? Thanks

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Max-4 wrote:

Can we get some information about build quality with the listed units above? Thanks

Neither Thor nor Forest River regularly get rave reviews for their build quality. They're huge conglomerates, and build products with an eye towards minimizing labor and materials expenses, and maximizing profits.

In this regard, some of the smaller, independent brands are considerably better.

Since you're in Canada - Have you looked at Escape or Bigfoot?

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/21 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a new fiberglass 2003 R-Vision TT in 2003 and towed this trailer for over 15 years with no delamination issues or problems with the front, rear, sides or roof whatsoever. And it set outside all the time on storage lots in hot Texas and Nevada sun when not in use. It was maintained well by me. So earlier statement about delamination issues on 5 year old fiberglass trailers is malarkey. This like saying most new red cars will have faded paint after 5 years.

These days I see a of a lot more fiberglass trailers on the road than aluminum ones. Cheers

* This post was edited 09/08/21 09:10pm by NamMedevac 70 *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Help buying a small travel trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.