Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Kohler 5CKM21 no compression in both cylinders
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Kohler 5CKM21 no compression in both cylinders

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/21 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After soaking with oil a couple of day I rotated fly wheel and added Chemtool with the oil thinning the viscosity some. After several days of soaking, last night I was able to see the valves moving up and down opening about 1/4 in and closing completely. I was able to look down the sparkplug hole and see the valves moving with a small light and mirror. As a side note I did not see any carbon buildup on the valves or piston. Kohler manual recommends removing head and scraping off carbon buildup at 500 hrs. Hope to get it back together soon to see if compression has returned.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/21 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Removed the oil from pistons and checked compression. Still no compression. I guess the problem lies in either broken teeth on the cam shaft or worn lobes. At any rate I am not about to pull the genset and tear it apart to replace the cam especially when the part is obsolete. I talked to 3 techs from Kohler which had no direct knowledge of the genset and offered little help, but all thought it was a stuck valve issue. Called three generator repair shops and one mobile repair place but no one would work on a genset in an RV. Very difficult to get to. So I will just sell the MH as is like my wife has been wanting and just hotel it.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/21 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sad..

Sorry to hear this.

But, I can't blame the shops for not wanting to work on it while installed in the MH. Way to difficult to work on when you have extremely limited access. Finding a knowledgeable and good small engine tech isn't easy either and the good ones are up to their eyeballs in work and don't come cheap.

Typically many shops will want the entire gen assy to be removed form the RV, if you had to pay someone to do that plus the cost to reinstall it would get even more expensive to the point it is cheaper to replace with new or like a lot of folks have done, use a portable gen instead.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/21 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gary: is the genset mounted to a pan that lowers out? Mine has about a dozen bolts holding pan and genset.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/21 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nearest I can tell is it has 4 bolts mounted to 4 rubber isolators and has to come up and out of the rear cap. If I was going to keep it I probably would pull it out and replace it with a HF one. I rarely use it anyways only to exercise it and heat something up in the MW or power house refers during power outages.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/21 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Sad..

Sorry to hear this.

But, I can't blame the shops for not wanting to work on it while installed in the MH. Way to difficult to work on when you have extremely limited access. Finding a knowledgeable and good small engine tech isn't easy either and the good ones are up to their eyeballs in work and don't come cheap.

Typically many shops will want the entire gen assy to be removed form the RV, if you had to pay someone to do that plus the cost to reinstall it would get even more expensive to the point it is cheaper to replace with new or like a lot of folks have done, use a portable gen instead.
I don’t blame them either just removing the shrouds is a chore. Maybe the next owner can put a 4000 watt HF one in, they are on sale now for $ 469.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Kohler 5CKM21 no compression in both cylinders
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.